What are some NICE things you've seen fellow passengers do for others?

Krazy Kruizers

Great story S7S (just read it) - Hope to meet you and your DH one day so I can shake his hand!

John..... the pleasure would be ours! We look forward to meeting you and the child bride. Still disappointed you arrive at Maasdam just after we leave. :(

Have you seen -- or maybe even you -- fellow passengers do anything NICE for another passenger?

I left the battery charger for my camera at home. I spotted a woman with the same camera as mine and she let me borrow hers and take it to my room. I bought one in Florence

I don't mean to hijack a great thread,( hopefully keeping it bumped will get us a few more great stories) but I have a question since there seem to be a few military wives here.

When I'm traveling and see someone in the airport in their military uniform I always want to go up and tell them how much I appreciate they and their families sacrifices and service, but I'm not sure if it is welcomed or not. I usually say something like "Thank you for your service." I don't want to intrude on their privacy or embarrass them, but I do want them to know how much they are appreciated. I realize this can be a very individual thing, but in general do you and your husbands appreciate acknowledgment and thanks or a smile and being not bothered?

I don't mean to hijack a great thread,( hopefully keeping it bumped will get us a few more great stories) but I have a question since there seem to be a few military wives here.

When I'm traveling and see someone in the airport in their military uniform I always want to go up and tell them how much I appreciate they and their families sacrifices and service, but I'm not sure if it is welcomed or not. I usually say something like "Thank you for your service." I don't want to intrude on their privacy or embarrass them, but I do want them to know how much they are appreciated. I realize this can be a very individual thing, but in general do you and your husbands appreciate acknowledgment and thanks or a smile and being not bothered?

DO IT!!!!

We were on a cruise many years ago (Princess in the Baltics) -- and sooooooooo many of the men on board had just served -- many were British -- and the CD mentioned this -- Everyone stood up and applauded them!!

I always want to go up and tell them how much I appreciate they and their families sacrifices and service, but I'm not sure if it is welcomed or not. I usually say something like "Thank you for your service."

Here, veterans of the armed forces can get special license plates identifying them as veterans. A couple of times I've gone up to them to say the same thing, and have been RUDELY told to leave them alone. I've stopped doing it :D Though it doesn't stop me from saying similar to someone in uniform.

Here, veterans of the armed forces can get special license plates identifying them as veterans. A couple of times I've gone up to them to say the same thing, and have been RUDELY told to leave them alone. I've stopped doing it :D Though it doesn't stop me from saying similar to someone in uniform.

That is so sad!!

We have lots of vets in our area -- many with their special license plates and they have all been polite when someone sees their plates.

Fun*n*sun - That is very sweet of you. I can only speak for my husband and myself, but we would certainly take a sincere thanks in the spirit in which you offered it! In my line of work I am often representing an on-post agency at off-post events and it is not uncommon for someone to thank me and my coworkers for what we do (I am not a Soldier but I work for Soldiers and Families) or to express their support and gratitude for the troops. I always thank anyone who speaks to us and tell them how much we appreciate it - it is easy for military folks to feel forgotten.

That being said, I have had people go to the extreme of getting teary or hugging us over and over - that is a bit much. Just personally makes me uncomfortable, but I try to be gracious.

As for those you see in airports, just try to remember that they may have just left their Family on the way back to theater, they may be in the middle of 3 days of rough travel, or they may be very concentrated on making it home at long last! Although many would appreciate your gratitude, some are not their most gracious selves when you see them en route.

If you are not sure what to do, most service members will at least recognize this: http://www.gratitudecampaign.org/

And everyone recognizes a smile or a little courtesy as they travel. :) Thank you for your thoughtfulness.

We were on a Viking cruise to China in late 2007. As anyone who has been to China knows, the public infrastructure is not friendly to those with mobility problems. Additionally, because of their culture, many buildings not only do not have ramps, but also have very high thresholds (so, we were told, that the "luck" won't run out of the house). We had four or five wheelchair passengers, and the other hundred or so passengers all pitched in to help them navigate the obstacles. It was almost like a tag-team match as those more able bodied took turns helping. I have never had a cruise experience where the group pulled together so completely:)

If you are not sure what to do, most service members will at least recognize this: http://www.gratitudecampaign.org/

This is the first time I've seen this sign. As an American Sign Language user, it is interesting to see the variation from thank-you in ASL to the thank-you used in the gratitude campaign. In ASL, the same movement is used, only the palm position is placed over the mouth, rather than over the heart, for the starting position. So this newly gleaned sign would no doubt mean 'thank you from the heart'.

The one I remember most was a retired New York police officer. We were at a table for 4 with him and his wife. I was expecting the worst but he could not have been nicer. It turned out his wife had advanced alzheimer's disease. I guess based on his past experiences he made a point of telling us that he would certainly understand if we asked to be moved to another table. We did not even consider moving and I am very glad we didn't because I got to know a remarkable man. To see the patience and love he showed his partner of many years, notwithstanding her current problems, was amazing.

I was in the (peacetime) Army many years ago, and I always appreciated a smile or a passing thanks, as I daresay most servicepeople would. For me personally, I would have felt uncomfortable with anything beyoind that. Traveling in uniform can be sticky, because you're never sure whether you'll be called upon to serve as an ambassador or a target. :eek:

Caro

The one I remember most was a retired New York police officer. We were at a table for 4 with him and his wife. I was expecting the worst but he could not have been nicer. It turned out his wife had advanced alzheimer's disease. I guess based on his past experiences he made a point of telling us that he would certainly understand if we asked to be moved to another table. We did not even consider moving and I am very glad we didn't because I got to know a remarkable man. To see the patience and love he showed his partner of many years, notwithstanding her current problems, was amazing.

Why would someone expect the worst if seated next to a retired NYPD officer?

Not on a cruise but on a flight.

My husband had been upgraded to a first class seat but when a service woman boarded on crutches, my 6 foot 4 inch tall hubby gave up his seat to the lady.

Now that is a southern gentleman.

Carol

Not on a cruise but on a flight.

My husband had been upgraded to a first class seat but when a service woman boarded on crutches, my 6 foot 4 inch tall hubby gave up his seat to the lady.

Now that is a southern gentleman.

Carol

He is indeed a gentleman,married to a very lucky lady.:)

I was in the (peacetime) Army many years ago, and I always appreciated a smile or a passing thanks, as I daresay most servicepeople would. For me personally, I would have felt uncomfortable with anything beyoind that. Traveling in uniform can be sticky, because you're never sure whether you'll be called upon to serve as an ambassador or a target. :eek:

Caro

I was in Vietnam . . . only smiles I remember were from my family. OK, I'm over that (40 years later, too busy planning the next cruise.) But we were in Savannah this summer, and I bought a drink for a couple of guys just back from Iraq. A smile or some gesture is generally appreciated

Good news first: This past summer we were on the Tahitian Princess for a 14 day Alaska cruise - our first time to Alaska. We had an accident with our camera and it was ruined early in the trip. When one of our CC roll call buddies found out, she loaned us her camera because her DH still had his. What a WONDERFUL thing to do for us.

Bad news: she hasn't sent us the pictures that we took. Oh well, it was a very nice gesture at the time and it kept us from thinking about all those photo ops that we would have been missing.

More good news: Another of our CC roll call buddies sent us their pictures. So, we got to see Alaska through someone else's eye.

It pays to be on CC and joining a roll call has great benefits!!!!

Good news first: This past summer we were on the Tahitian Princess for a 14 day Alaska cruise - our first time to Alaska. We had an accident with our camera and it was ruined early in the trip. When one of our CC roll call buddies found out, she loaned us her camera because her DH still had his. What a WONDERFUL thing to do for us.

Bad news: she hasn't sent us the pictures that we took. Oh well, it was a very nice gesture at the time and it kept us from thinking about all those photo ops that we would have been missing.

More good news: Another of our CC roll call buddies sent us their pictures. So, we got to see Alaska through someone else's eye.

It pays to be on CC and joining a roll call has great benefits!!!!

Sorry about your camera. Have you posted on your Roll Call -- maybe that person will see your note there or even read this.

Really hope you get the pictures you took.

Why would someone expect the worst if seated next to a retired NYPD officer?

Perhaps I should explain that comment :o . We saw this gentleman seated at the table as we entered the dining room for the first time. What we saw (or so it appeared) was an older couple where the man just had a mean look on his face. We have been at other tables where one of the people just gripes and complains about everything during the cruise. That is what I meant by my comment; I was afraid we were going to be seated with a rude, obnoxious person. I had no idea until we sat down and introduced ourselves that the gentleman was a retired officer.

Archived