Port Liberty Question(s)

B-52

June 09 will be our first cruise out of Bayonne. I've been reading threads for info. Need to understand something, help me with this.

Driving our own car, first we drop luggage, then park car, then check-in at terminal, then take a shuttle bus from terminal to ship when boarding begins?

Is this the correct sequence, and are there any difficulties?

What about disembarking. Is it ship-luggage-bus-terminal-car? Or Ship-bus-terminal-luggage-car?

Our prior cruises have been out of Florida where ship and terminal are together.

June 09 will be our first cruise out of Bayonne. I've been reading threads for info. Need to understand something, help me with this.

Driving our own car, first we drop luggage, then park car, then check-in at terminal, then take a shuttle bus from terminal to ship when boarding begins? Yes

Is this the correct sequence, and are there any difficulties? It will be really busy. Perhaps one person should stay at the terminal with the carryons.

What about disembarking. Is it ship-luggage-bus-terminal-car? Or Ship-bus-terminal-luggage-car? Ship-bus-terminal-luggage-car unless you do express walk off with all your luggage.

Our prior cruises have been out of Florida where ship and terminal are together.

The only difference is that instead of walking on the ship after you check in, you walk on a shuttle bus that runs you across the pier to the ship. If you've ever flown in Europe and taken a bus out to the plane, it's like that only the buses are bigger and better.

Driving our own car, first we drop luggage, then park car, then check-in at terminal, then take a shuttle bus from terminal to ship when boarding begins? Yes

Is this the correct sequence, and are there any difficulties? It will be really busy. Perhaps one person should stay at the terminal with the carryons.

What about disembarking. Is it ship-luggage-bus-terminal-car? Or Ship-bus-terminal-luggage-car? Ship-bus-terminal-luggage-car unless you do express walk off with all your luggage.

The only difference is that instead of walking on the ship after you check in, you walk on a shuttle bus that runs you across the pier to the ship. If you've ever flown in Europe and taken a bus out to the plane, it's like that only the buses are bigger and better.

Driving our own car, first we drop luggage, then park car, then check-in at terminal, then take a shuttle bus from terminal to ship when boarding begins?

What about disembarking. Is it ship-luggage-bus-terminal-car? Or Ship-bus-terminal-luggage-car?

On return it's ship bus terminal luggage car.

Leaving from Bayonne was a dream. We expected a nightmare actually, and perhaps some will tell you it was just that, but for us it couldn't have run smoother.

Sorry, we didn't drive to the pier so can't help you with that, but we were dropped at the terminal where we surrendered our luggage to a porter who put it in a big bin. They actually drove the bin away while we watched, so we were reasonably sure our bags would meet us on ship. ;)

Then you go inside the building and line up for your pier check-in; you are given your SeaPass card and then shown to another area where your picture is taken for ID. You'll enter a larger "holding area", where you will be given a number for the shuttle bus. Have a seat... you ain't goin' no where until 12 noon. :p

At noon, the first group is called and the shuttle bus drives you to the ship, which is actually no more than 2 minutes away. For us it was extremely smooth and painless. They are very well organized.

Have fun.

Leaving from Bayonne was a dream. We expected a nightmare actually, and perhaps some will tell you it was just that, but for us it couldn't have run smoother.

Sorry, we didn't drive to the pier so can't help you with that, but we were dropped at the terminal where we surrendered our luggage to a porter who put it in a big bin. They actually drove the bin away while we watched, so we were reasonably sure our bags would meet us on ship. ;)

Then you go inside the building and line up for your pier check-in; you are given your SeaPass card and then shown to another area where your picture is taken for ID. You'll enter a larger "holding area", where you will be given a number for the shuttle bus. Have a seat... you ain't goin' no where until 12 noon. :p

At noon, the first group is called and the shuttle bus drives you to the ship, which is actually no more than 2 minutes away. For us it was extremely smooth and painless. They are very well organized.

Have fun.

Thanks for the info. I take it they have adequate # of shuttle buses, otherwise people would begin to get impatient?

I take it they have adequate # of shuttle buses, otherwise people would begin to get impatient?

Yes, they have alot of buses running continually. We were group number 16, and we figured we were on a bus and heading for the ship at around 12:30. The time goes quickly and they are very efficient. We remember being on board and eating lunch in the Windjammer at 12:50.

BTW, the cabins are not available to guests until 1:30 - some people thought they would check it out, but the fire doors in the hallways were closed and locked. No one gets to their room before 1:30-ish, so do go straight to the WJ for lunch, or check out some of other public areas of the ship. :)

We are planning from driving from Virigina to Port Liberty. We estimate about a four hour drive. However, we don't want to take a chance and will probably leave earlier than needed. So given that the shuttle buses don't start until noon, what time does Port Liberty open to those arriving? I realize we cannot get there too early for obvious reasons. We are willing to wait but we want to make sure there will be a place for us to wait if we get there earlier than noon. Anyone know? Thanks.

Karen

We got there about 11 am this year which worked out very well. People were still disembarking. My mother needed special assistance and we had lots of carry on stuff because she is on oxygen. By 11:30 we were checked in and we were among the first to board at 12:15. Quite frankly we thought the whole process was wonderful. They have a large waiting area that was not at all filled at that time.

However, a word of warning. All bets are off if the ship is late. You need to check to be sure that the ship is on time.

We are planning from driving from Virigina to Port Liberty. We estimate about a four hour drive. However, we don't want to take a chance and will probably leave earlier than needed. So given that the shuttle buses don't start until noon, what time does Port Liberty open to those arriving? I realize we cannot get there too early for obvious reasons. We are willing to wait but we want to make sure there will be a place for us to wait if we get there earlier than noon. Anyone know? Thanks.

Karen

you can wait in the terminal where you check in....plenty of seats...once you get on the buses, next stop is the SHIP!!

check this....the area looks just like the photos!

www.cruiseliberty.com

Archived