Tipping on board

Having done only 2 cruises, I'd like to know from the experienced cruisers what they do in regards to tipping.

On our first cruise it was automatically added daily to our account so by the end of our cruise we had paid, from memory, about $250 in tipping. On the cruise we just returned from we were told we could ask the purser to take off the automated tipping and give a tip at the end of our cruise to the cabin stewart personally to ensure he got all the tip seeing he looked after us, so that's what we did.

What are your thoughts on the fair way of doing this? Do the majority go with automated tipping or not???

Thanks,

PAC:o

My understanding is that if you remove the auto tip and give cash at the end, then the steward must surrender that amount anyway, so it doesn't make any difference.

I just leave it on (or have prepaid) as it is easier, especially when on an American ship sailing in AU/NZ waters with no other need for USD.

My understanding is that if you remove the auto tip and give cash at the end, then the steward must surrender that amount anyway, so it doesn't make any difference.

I just leave it on (or have prepaid) as it is easier, especially when on an American ship sailing in AU/NZ waters with no other need for USD.

Well this is news to me. I didn't know about the steward having to surrender the tip we gave him personally. He didn't say that he would have to do that & who would know anyway? Do the stewards have to sign some form of agreement/declaration stating they will hand in any tips?

Thanks Aussiedisneyfan.

There are many different ways of looking at this My own personal choice is to take us off th auto tipping as we would rather tip the people we actually use. I think the Head Waiters get a good get and do not do anything except sail past your table saying 'every all right?" why should they have a tip. If we do not order win or drinks at the table why tip- the wine waiter. The table waiter and his assistant get a tip direct from me - in an envelope which they should put into the 'tronk' for sharing out but I also give them some during the cruise directly into their hand and this they can keep. The cabin stewards is a special case They are 'guaranteed' a certain amount of tips per week and it is a good amount They always get a tip from us similar to that proscribed by the paperwork but if they are good they get more. WS have been lucky never to get a bad cabin steward but some pople have done so so why should they give those stewards a tip? I dont mean silly things I mean not changing the towels or the bedding as often as other cabins get theirs changed. Not replacing wine glasses when used or swimming towels etc. Give them what they are worth to you and then the next prson will get good srvice as well. :)

What are your thoughts on the fair way of doing this? Do the majority go with automated tipping or not???

Thanks,

I find it hard to know what the majority do PAC.

There are many Aussies that will opt for a 3rd option - remove or reduce the autotips, and don't payout any personal tips at all. P&O subsides any shortfall in the autotips to the service staff, so they don't miss out anyway.

The short answer is to go with what you are comfortable with, and that may depend on your budget and how you feel about the quality of service on your cruise. We have left our tips on, and paid a bit extra to a couple of staff that went way beyond their duties. Had we been unhappy with the cruise, I would have had no problem in removing all tipping. P&O policy does spell out that tipping is voluntary and at passengers discretion.

When I handed the cash, envelope and "made a difference" card to our waiter he smiled and thanked us. When I told him this is extra money, the smile doubled in size and he was more thankful. He told me that they are resigned to losing most of the cash tips they hand in on Aussie cruises.

Overseas cruises differ a bit, and tips are seen as more of an obligation because the US tipping culture is very different to ours.

I had spoken to a few stewards & cabins and they did not indicate that they were on poor wages. If anything, they said they sent most of the wages back home to family as they really didn't need much spending money as accommodation, meals, laundering & even a barber is provided. If they need money, it's only when they got off at ports and even then, they don't take much.

I am disappointed to learn that they have to hand in the tips given to them, unless it's the 'extra' as mentioned. In Palm Court we mostly sat at the same table, had a great waiter & assistant & were happy to tip them. But some nights we couldn't get that table & sat at another table nearby. At this particular table the waiter & assistant weren't nearly as friendly, just went about their job routinely, weren't as observant when we needed cutlery, etc. so we didn't feel they earned a tip. So in a nutshell, if I tip someone I want that person to keep the tip, not put it into some kitty to be shared around.

That's my thought anyway.

Cheers,

I wonder if P&O or the powers that be take note of who (which staff) receive 'personal' tips (even if they are handed in) - as this would/should also be a good indication of who's been giving good service!

We've filled in the 'made a difference' cards before as well - which we hope helps the staff.

One of our cabin stewards was telling my brother-in-law how much his wages were (not much!!!:eek:) and they work extremely long shifts! It's good (I think) to reward them for the service they provide in making our cruises wonderful!

As for the auto-tipping ... each to their own - as Geoff has said, go with what you're comfortable with! We're not a tipping culture in Australia, as we have a wage system that doesn't tend to need subsidising as it does in some other countries, and traditionally we've tipped for exceptional service - it's can be quite a shock when you find out it's 'expected' on a ship! Do what feels right for your situation.:)

Hi,

We decided to decrease our auto tips to $5 per day and were very happy to see that they took it all out on the first night. Was easier knowing that it was all recognised at the start and not worry about the amount later in the cruise. Not sure if they do this for everyone or just for us as we changed ours.

On the last morning we slipped a cash tip to our steward Nurul (or Noodle as we affectionately called him as my sister misunderstood him when she first met him & thought that was his name).

We took the tips off the teens accounts as they were on a limited budget but the kids contributed to the cash tips.

Cheers,

Charmain:)

Guest xywolap

There are many people behind the scenes too... do they get to share in the tipping pool?

If so, using the prepaid tipping would be the only way for them to get that little bit extra.

There are many people behind the scenes too... do they get to share in the tipping pool?

If so, using the prepaid tipping would be the only way for them to get that little bit extra.

I believe they do, which is why we we always leave our auto tipping on (even on this cruise when it added up to $240 for the two of us for 16nights) because it goes to the ones you don't personally get to see and thank.

We also tipped our cabin steward and our table waiters (because we sat at the same table everynight) for their extra services to us.

But as everyone has said, it's a very personal thing and should be up to the individual to decide.

Some friends recently returned from the 72 day SP and removed their tipping on the first day. They are convinced that the crew were told. Could think of no other explanation for the terrible cabin service they recieved. Waited over an hour for room service on two occasions, finally gave up and never bothered again.

Some friends recently returned from the 72 day SP and removed their tipping on the first day. They are convinced that the crew were told. Could think of no other explanation for the terrible cabin service they recieved. Waited over an hour for room service on two occasions, finally gave up and never bothered again.

Hi Dicky Beach.

your friends are correct in assuming staff know when tips are removed.

kind regards, Lorraine:) :)

We removed the automatic tipping from husbands account but left it on mine. We tipped our cabin steward with cash and felt the tipping from my acc. would go into the big pot for all the staff - especially those who work so hard are behind the scenes.:)

Being in my own mind about tipping lol, I have a few things that I've thought of and still don't know what to do yet.

1. reduce the auto tipping

2. leave it on one card and remove from the other card

3. remove completely and just pay tips to whom I feel deserve it (but as you say than its the behind the seen ppl that miss out)

I would love to leave something on the pillows as being in the hospitality industry before kids and getting tips was exciting lol...

but will be doing something just still deciding on that one

And what is the cost these days for the auto tipping on the dawn?

Hi Everyone,

Just my thoughts on tipping ,

What we do normally is:

Remove auto tipping off one of us ,leave it on the other and tip room steward, table steward, room service and anyone else who gives us 'Excellent service' .they usually end up with more than if we have left auto tipping on both.

Now I am worried (after reading some comments above)that if they are told that the auto -tipping is off one of us ,then service will go down.

Our next cruise on the Sun Princess is for 28 days x $10 a day = $280 each.That is a lot of money .

Maybe this time we may just leave it on both.

Regards Deb

Planning obsessed I think that I have read in the fine print that you can remove tips at any stage. Is it better to take the auto tips of at the end - to make sure your service isn't compromised in the mean time? Would they really give bad service for no auto-tips? I don't have a problem tipping although for my family it will be about $500 for eight days:eek: . So we may look at other tipping options (taking it off some etc). Also can anyone tell me how your on board acount works? Do they debit your credit card? How much? We have a low limit on our credit card and I'm not sure it will be suitable.

3. remove completely and just pay tips to whom I feel deserve it (but as you say than its the behind the seen ppl that miss out)

Hi Mumzie,

Don't forget to put your tip in an envelope or make sure it is clear that it is a tip. We have always found cabin stewards to be very honest & if it isn't clear that it is a tip you are likely to find it placed on the bedside table when you get back to your cabin!!

Cheers,

Charmain:)

I could be wrong about this, but I have a feeling the tipping is now 'deemed' at $10 a day per person, including children. This is for the Sun Princess, in any case.

I am still not sure what to do in my own case but might consider what someone has suggested-see how the service is, and adjust at the end of the cruise accordingly.

My tendency at the moment is to think one lot of tipping should be adequate-$120 is still a lot of money. But I will see and if the service really is exceptional, then maybe raise the bar a little.

There are only 2 of us but I think if we had been going when our 3 children were small and with us, i would have found $50 a day an enormous amount to come up with.

I guess it depends on how much money people can afford.

Archived