Anyone been to Lucca?

calenita

I was just reading about Lucca and this might be an alternative for us instead of Florence. We have three children- 13, 12 and 8 so want stuff which will be fun for them. The walled city sounded fun. Just wondering logistically how it worked for others. Thinking of doing Pisa and Lucca by train. Thanks all.

Debbi

Lucca is a short hop from Pisa. Lovely town.. the kids might enjoy walking or biking the wall.

Train is about an hour (including the connection at Pisa). Try to make the 9:37 (or earlier) as there is a break in service from then until 11:26. Or, do Pisa first and then hop back on the train to Lucca.

BTW, there is a quite decent Chinese restaurant one block from the train station (which is just outside the walls).. just in case your children like Chinese and don't want any more Italian.

I was just reading about Lucca and this might be an alternative for us instead of Florence. We have three children- 13, 12 and 8 so want stuff which will be fun for them. The walled city sounded fun. Just wondering logistically how it worked for others. Thinking of doing Pisa and Lucca by train. Thanks all.

Debbi

Lucca is magic. You walk through the city gates and go back 500 years. We`ve been there 3 times and never bored. :D

As nice as Lucca is, you can do it all in about an hour. While the city is walled with lots of nice shops and narrow streets, it's nothing like Dubrovnik or some other fortress walled cities I ahve been to. I think the kids will be bored afer a while. I would also try to see Pisa as well. It's not far away and there are many tours to both places. Kids always like the Tower of Pisa.

I love Lucca and have been there many times - in fact we rented a farmhouse near Lucca this June.

That said - the best thing for children in Lucca is (1) biking on the walls and (2) gelati (!!). Lucca - at least the area inside the walls, which is where you want to be - is relatively small. Its attraction is its architecture, including the walls, and a couple of museums. There are no pavements (sidewalks in American) and it can seem congested. It has a fair number of churches, but most are only open sporadically. I would suggest a morning in Pisa and then lunch - either in Pisa or Lucca - and a couple of hours at the most in Lucca with children.

The walls are truly amazing and completely encircle the old town. They are very wide - when we were young we were allowed to drive our car up on them and we did! Now they are only for walking or biking. Plenty of outlets to rent bikes. They are tree-lined, so shady as well and provide a great view of the old town.

Don't miss the Pizza del Ampiteatro (I may have the spelling wrong). It is an old Roman arena and the houses that surrounded it are all that is left, so the square has the shape of an arena. A few nice shops around here, but the main shopping area is via Fililungo and the side streets that go off from it. Lucca makes a great contrast to Pisa. But check your train times carefully!!

WOW! Thanks for the info. I think what we would like to do is take the train from Livorno to Pisa and then go on to Lucca and back to Livorno. Is the train station in Lucca close to the old city wall? Where can I check the train schedules to see the times for planning? Thanks all.

Debbi

We are planning on Pisa and Lucca rather than Florence with our 9 yr old. I'll post info afterwards but it won't help you bec we are on the Brilliance the cruise after you (11/25). I decided to go with a taxi rather than the train bec the next day is Rome and will be very busy with lots of walking. I am willing to pay for the convenience of a taxi in Livorno to minimize walking and stress. Taxi for the day is approx 280 euros. Here is my plan and alternate plan based on things I've read online.

8:15 Drive to Pisa (25 min)

8:45 Piazza dei Miracoli (tower ext only, duomo, baptistery) (1 hr)

9:45 Walk to Borgo Stretto, snack, Christmas Mkt (1 hr - approx ½ mi)

10:30ish Taxi pick up and drive to Arsenale (15 min)

10:45ish Arsenale to see Roman ships (1 hr)

12:00 Drive to Lucca (30 min)

12:30 Lunch at Da Francesco’s (1 hr)

1:30 San Michelle church (ext only), Via Fillungo, Anfiteatro, bike ride (30min-1 hr), Giunigi Tower, Duomo di San Martino (go in if we want)

4:30 Drive to Livorno (45 min)

Alternate Plan:

The cruise shuttle ($8-10 rt) (10-20 min) should drop you in the Piazza Grande area on Via Grande.

Then take the #1 bus to Livorno Centrale (1 euro) (5-10 min). Bus tickets are about 1 euro and can be purchased at a tobacco or newstand, or on the bus for slightly more. Buses are very frequent (10-12 minutes) so your wait won't be long. There is a validation machine on the bus so be certain to get your ticket stamped.

Train Livorno to Pisa (4 euros?).

Then walk to Piazza dei Miracoli (45 min) or taxi (5 euros) to Borgo St and walk from there (20 min).

Bus to Lucca (4 euros?) (30 min). When you depart the Square of Miracles through the main gate, the bustop is to your left and there is a fairly prominent blue Lazzi sign at the corner to indicate where the bus stops. As the bus (blue motor coach style) approaches the stop you will see "Lucca" on the sign on the front of the bus. Stops in Lucca at Piazzale Verdi, inside the walls.

Return to Livorno by train via Pisa (4 euro) (1 hr incl transfer). Train Lucca to Pisa arrives on separate small rail line. Leaves Lucca every 30-40 min. Then change to train for Pisa to Livorno Centrale.

Hope this helps and keep the BOS in good shape for us!

We jsut returned from our Italy cruise, and spent a day in Lucca We were advised by shore excursions people that on the day we were planning to go there was going to be a train strike. This happens fairly often in Italy, usually with no warning, so you need to have a back up plan. Many people planning to go by train, hired vans(by using the interenet) and got groups of people together to go-very last minute. We wer all lucky we were warned in advanced. This is not always the case.

Marilyn

Let me reiterate. Your kids will be bored if they are told they will be seeing a walled city. Kids like high walls, turrets, fortresses, draw bridges, commanding views, etc. Lucca is not this. I dragged my kids to many a castle when they were young. I know what they liked. This is not in any way castle like. A great place for adults, kids no.

Brilliant.

WOW! Thanks for the info. I think what we would like to do is take the train from Livorno to Pisa and then go on to Lucca and back to Livorno. Is the train station in Lucca close to the old city wall? Where can I check the train schedules to see the times for planning? Thanks all.

Debbi

Te train station is just outside the walls. I'd guesstimate it is 1/2 km or so to the gate (which really isn't a gate anymore of course) where you enter the old city.

You can use the Italian train site, but I almost always use the German one:

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

It is more forgiving on spelling, etc.

Thanks for the info. Interesting comments about Lucca not being the best for children. When I read about the walled city I envisioned something similar to one of the Spanish cities - would it be Toledo or Sevilla or Avila I'm thinking of, can't remember. I do want soemthing which will interest our boys - 8,12! So maybe just Pisa and not pushing too hard? We will see. I also don't want us to be too tired for Rome the next day which will be busy!

Te train station is just outside the walls. I'd guesstimate it is 1/2 km or so to the gate (which really isn't a gate anymore of course) where you enter the old city.

You can use the Italian train site, but I almost always use the German one:

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

It is more forgiving on spelling, etc.

This website is GREAT! Thank you!

We are planning on going to Pisa in the morning - getting tix in advance to clib the tower at http://boxoffice.opapisa.it/Torre/first.jsp?y=2008&m=8&g=1&Index=1

I've heard you have to connect in Pisa to get to Lucca, so after our tour of Pisa we will take the train to Lucca. After lunch and an hour or two in Lucca, we will head back towards the ship.

I still need to plan on the loose itinerary based on train times, etc. however. :)

I have to concur that a day in Lucca would hold no appeal for a nine-year-old although it is a very convenient train ride from Pisa.

Why should a nine year old be interested in Pisa once he`s seen the tower 10 minutes. Nine year olds are not the best people to be taken on these type of tours. Leave them at home with the dog or grannie.;)

We had the best day of our 12 day Med cruise in Lucca...My 11 year old daughter says it was "the best day of her life."

My 4 year old and 8 year old sons LOVED our day there too.(The 8 year old says it is his favorite city.)

We started in Pisa , then had lunch in a charming coastal village called Lerici.Then we stopped in Lucca , rented bikes and biked around the wall and through the village.

We stopped and had gelato and laid on the grass What a marvelous place!

We had a private guide who biked with us and took us to the little cantina in Lucca.We loved him!

Kim

• 1 month later...

We just got back and I have to give a plug for Lucca. We loved it. We hired a taxi driver at the port to take us to Pisa and then to Lucca. It was a nice relaxing FUN day. We biked the city walls, just wandered around, explored the antique market and had lots of fun. It was a great day for the children biking the walls - I enjoyed it too - and DH got on a bike for the first time in like 20 years! So, yes, I would recommend Lucca to anyone with kids. It was a nice change from the big city push push push for us too. We climbed both the leaning tower in Pisa and also the guinigi tower in Lucca. DD13 counted the steps both times. Just lots of fun.

Lucca - it really all depends on the family - how much homework one does to interest kids before leaving and while there, not just reading from some guide book or listening to one...What are the children interested in?

The city walls date from the Renaissance, because the older ones (2 Medieval gates exist, but now are inside the actual walls) from earlier times were too fragil to resist cannon fire...Might be a nice bike ride, but do not let anyone up on the grassy outer rim (people slide off, long way down!).

There are 2 towers to climb, but if you do the tower in Pisa (DO BOOK AHEAD for the leaning tower! - there's also an age limit for children) you may have had enough...Lucca is a nice place to wander around. You can also catch a bus right outside Pisa's walls where the leaning tower is (you might want to buy those tickets at the Vai bus station near Pisa's train station first).

True, public transportation often is on strike, so do think about alternatives!

The antique market is based on the 3rd Sunday of the month. Around the 11 the of July, there is a crossbow tournament, but its held in the evening, however you might see some practicing before then.

An alternative might be Volterra...still, with Rome the next day - best plan whatever is most simple.

• 8 months later...
We are planning on Pisa and Lucca rather than Florence with our 9 yr old. I'll post info afterwards but it won't help you bec we are on the Brilliance the cruise after you (11/25). I decided to go with a taxi rather than the train bec the next day is Rome and will be very busy with lots of walking. I am willing to pay for the convenience of a taxi in Livorno to minimize walking and stress. Taxi for the day is approx 280 euros. Here is my plan and alternate plan based on things I've read online.

8:15 Drive to Pisa (25 min)

8:45 Piazza dei Miracoli (tower ext only, duomo, baptistery) (1 hr)

9:45 Walk to Borgo Stretto, snack, Christmas Mkt (1 hr - approx ½ mi)

10:30ish Taxi pick up and drive to Arsenale (15 min)

10:45ish Arsenale to see Roman ships (1 hr)

12:00 Drive to Lucca (30 min)

12:30 Lunch at Da Francesco’s (1 hr)

1:30 San Michelle church (ext only), Via Fillungo, Anfiteatro, bike ride (30min-1 hr), Giunigi Tower, Duomo di San Martino (go in if we want)

4:30 Drive to Livorno (45 min)

Alternate Plan:

The cruise shuttle ($8-10 rt) (10-20 min) should drop you in the Piazza Grande area on Via Grande.

Then take the #1 bus to Livorno Centrale (1 euro) (5-10 min). Bus tickets are about 1 euro and can be purchased at a tobacco or newstand, or on the bus for slightly more. Buses are very frequent (10-12 minutes) so your wait won't be long. There is a validation machine on the bus so be certain to get your ticket stamped.

Train Livorno to Pisa (4 euros?).

Then walk to Piazza dei Miracoli (45 min) or taxi (5 euros) to Borgo St and walk from there (20 min).

Bus to Lucca (4 euros?) (30 min). When you depart the Square of Miracles through the main gate, the bustop is to your left and there is a fairly prominent blue Lazzi sign at the corner to indicate where the bus stops. As the bus (blue motor coach style) approaches the stop you will see "Lucca" on the sign on the front of the bus. Stops in Lucca at Piazzale Verdi, inside the walls.

Return to Livorno by train via Pisa (4 euro) (1 hr incl transfer). Train Lucca to Pisa arrives on separate small rail line. Leaves Lucca every 30-40 min. Then change to train for Pisa to Livorno Centrale.

Hope this helps and keep the BOS in good shape for us!

Hi Vapersecutor,

I read your post from about a year ago and we are planning to visit Lucca this year and I was wondering how your day went. How did you travel for the day? Was it by Train, Taxi? Would appreciate your insights.

Thanks,

Chet

In October we are planning to do the ship's (RRC) excursion Pisa and Lucca on our own. That is our preference for that day instead of trains etc. I'm wondering if anyone has done the same with Royal Caribbean and can give me some idea where the bus lets us off for our 3 hour tour. Thanks.

Let me reiterate. Your kids will be bored if they are told they will be seeing a walled city. Kids like high walls, turrets, fortresses, draw bridges, commanding views, etc. Lucca is not this. I dragged my kids to many a castle when they were young. I know what they liked. This is not in any way castle like. A great place for adults, kids no.

Brilliant.

Sadly, I have to agree. While I really liked Lucca, my 10 and 8 yr olds were not particularly interested. After 20 minutes, they were ready to return to the van. Although I think they would've had fun riding bikes on the wall which we didn't have time to do.

By comparison, they loved Dubrovnik and walking the city walks in that old city. No contest.

The did have a blast climbing the leaning tower in Pisa! :)

Archived