Looking for Suggestions

I am thinking of booking a cruise out of Galveston. There are two itineraries for the time we would be travelling.

#1 Cozumel, Roatan, Costa Maya

#2 Cozumel, George Town Grand Cayman, Montego Bay

We are not beach people but like the idea of a warm weather cruise in January.

Which itinerary is most interesting? I have done a little research and Mayan ruins would be of interest to us. Other than that, we have no real preference. We know we will find something to do.

Thanks for any help you can give in determining the better itinerary.

Second question, is there any really bad balcony cabin on Voyager ? We could get a guarantee, and we are not really picky.

Thanks Jane

We have sailed both these itineraries, and much prefer No.1, there are good mayan ruins at Coz and Costa Maya. We are not beach people either, and it is often a problem for the ship at Grand Cayman due to rough seas. They are not able to tender if the weather doesn't co-operate, and you end up with another sea day. Most people will also tell you "you can take or leave Jamaica" it is not a port you can go off on your own, it's not that safe.

Costa Maya was destroyed by the hurricane, but has been newly rebuilt. The ruins at Chacchoben (Costa Maya) are really interesting, and Tulum (Cozomel) are also a must see for you if this is what you like.:)

We have done ship tours in Roatan to see the island, our DD is a scuba diver so this is a prime port for her.

Hope this helps you, I'm sure others will be able to give you some more ideas to.:)

I chose the Cozumel, Costa Maya and Honduras itinerary. Several of RCL ships go to the Caymans but Costa Maya and the Honduras are islands we haven't seen. I would agree that Jamaica isn't a place you want to go off on your own.

The price on the guaranty is really difficult to pass up. We went with the guaranty on Jan 25 and was placed in a D1 cabin. I usually book E2 so that was a pleasant surprise. Just think of all the things you can do with the money you save on the cabin by getting the guaranty.

The Kohunlich ruins in Costa Maya are amazing. On 10+ cruises that is one of my top 3 all time favorite excursions, and it was on RCI. At the time, we could still climb up to the top of the ruins...not sure if that is still the case or not. Bring a bottle of water each, though...it was also the most physical. And bug spray, they were terrible in October.

Also, just in case you haven't thought about it...the trip from Galveston in the fall/spring months the sea day going & returning were too chilly to fully use on the deck. When you depart from Florida, that isn't the case. Just a little FYI.

Have fun!

April 5th, choose Roatan, the first choice is my vote too. 4/5/09 is when Im booked to go. Nice active roll call for a change.

I love roatan, even if Im not sure there are beaches, there are some great diving places and the ocean is so pretty there with clear water.

PS by April you woudnt have to worry about it being warm enough, it was HOT last year.

Have picked the #1 itinerary for our up coming Dec 14, 2008 and March 8, 2009 RCL cruises. Have cruised #2 itinerary 3 times and wanted a change. Also, have read good reviews from CC members on the #1. Have cruised out of Galveston in Dec and Mar in the past and the weather has always been warm enough to use the balcony.

During the months of December and January the trip across the gulf of Mexico can be cold and choppy. Once you get to the Caribbean it will be warm and pleasant. One year when we went it was so choppy that a large number of pax were seasick and in bed. We used to go during those months but have switched to late February/early March.

Read the CC board on Jamaica. A lot of people do not like Montego Bay (MoBay) where RCL stops. It is a very controversial port. The last time we were there, a lot of pax stayed on the ship - probably around 1/3. We always ask for a large table in the MDR and the night we left MoBay we were asking each other if anyone went ashore. Turned out that no one did at our table.

Costa Maya is a port built by and for the cruise lines. Native Mexicans are not allowed in the port (high fence and guards). It is very nice and modern of course but a bit pricey. Mahaul, a native village nearby is worth the visit if you are not taking a cruise ship tour. They have taxi service between the two.

Archived