This worked for us!

goLC

haha thanks! I can hardly wait. I've completely checked out at work, can barely pay attention in school, find myself on cruise critic more than I'm studying...

I'M READY TO GO *NOW*!!!

Did you pay for parking or stay the night before? I'm real sad I have to waste something like $60 just to leave my car somewhere!! But leaving on a Monday we don't have many options of people to bring us. ):

We had about a 13 hour drive, so we came down on Saturday before our Monday cruise. We stayed at the Radisson, which is really close to the port. They do have a deal where you can leave your car for free at the hotel and they have a shuttle bus to take you/pick you up. We didn't go that route, though; we had 4 to split the $60 with, so we decided to just park at the port. (We were afraid we'd have to wait around on Friday for a full shuttle, and we knew we'd be ready to get on the road for the long drive home - which was, by the way, not NEARLY as much fun as the drive down! We got our rooms for about $100 a night, which was a great deal. It had a beautiful pool area.

I know what you mean about staying on this site; I practically lived on it for several months pre-cruise. My son came in earlier and about died when he saw that I was on it again... he thinks I've lost my mind!

Jane

Well, have a drink of the day for me!

I know on ours, when we got on the ship there was a party on the pool deck. Of the 4 of us, I was the only one who participated...in the drinks, dancing, etc. But one of us had already explored every square inch of the ship and the other 2 had signed us up for massages. BTW, if you do a RCCL massage, the "Body Blitz" is the way to go- it was awesome. I also did the "ladies night" massage, but it wasn't nearly as great.

Do you also go to Coco Cay? I got talked into snorkeling there; hadn't done that before but it was fantastic! It was really easy to do and it was one of the highlights of the trip. Also, the "coco loco" drinks there are killer!

Lucky your boyfriend will go; my husband and teenage son refuse to go, so I've done 2 cruises with friends. I refuse to miss out, and they don't know what they're missing!

We are planning on doing the snorkeling in Coco Cay... I figured $29 probably isn't too bad. That's for all day, right? Can we take breaks in between and stuff??

I keep asking myself, is it October 20th yet? haha. Will toast to you once on the cruise. My boyfriend probably won't get into the deck party but I have no shame, I'll be all over it!!!

It's my "Pre-Birthday" cruise so I told him I want chocolate covered strawberries in the room... that and a nice drink, what more could a girl want?

Any other tips/tricks you learned?

Hey goLC we took your advice and asked for Otis at the dock and we had a blast. He couldnt believe that he was reccommended and he said he was going to go on the website and see what people were saying about him. He is everything you said he would be. We had a wonderful tour. He took us all over the island and told us all about their history. We stopped at the queens staircase and visited the little flea market there. He took us to Atlantis and showed us the public part of the aquarium. I would highly recommend him to everyone. After you walk out of the festival place, there will be a lot of people there and just ask for Otis and you will get him. He' s worth every dime of his charge.

Beachy - Oh, please DO have a drink to me; that would help my feelings greatly! After we got back from our cruise, I had one more week off work; I go back TOMORROW and I'm not in the right frame of mind for that! But if I know you're enjoying your cruise and having a drink for me, I'll try to get through it!

Yes, the $29 snorkeling is for the day; you can keep it the whole time if you want. It's in a little "shack" that will be almost straight ahead after you follow the path off the tender boat (maybe a little to your left.) I took a cheap $10 underwater camera I picked up at Walmart; I got some AWESOME pics of rays and beautiful fish! I couldn't believe how well they turned out, so that might be something you'd want to take with you. Even my not-so-impressionable son was impressed with the pics. I don't know of Royal Caribbean ever has more than 1 ship at Coco Cay on a given day - Sovereign was the only one there when we were, so it was extremely uncrowded (if that's a word.) Plenty of space, chairs, equipment, food... I think a lot of people didn't get off the ship at all. We were on the first tender, so we had our pick of spots. They were running 2-3 tenders all day, so never a wait. You just put the $29 and any drinks on your sail card; the only thing you'd need cash for is at the little shops, but we didn't go to those because it was starting to sprinkle. The hammocks in the shade work well if you feel like you're getting too much sun but don't want to leave! Definitely try a Coco Loco - very smooth!

I also had my real camera and other stuff I didn't want to get wet; I purchased (also at Walmart, in the camping section) a set of 3 waterproof bags. I kept my stuff in them (they come in 3 different sizes) down in my beach bag, so I didn't have to worry about ruining anything. I guess baggies would have worked just as well, but these were in nice pretty colors and you couldn't see what was in them. In fact, I used one in Nassau, too.

I don't know what your shopping budget is, but you can find about whatever you want, in whatever price range, on Bay Street in Nassau. Much better than the Straw Market, where I lasted maybe 5 minutes before the crowdedness, heat, humidity, and people yelling at me to "come here pretty lady" ran me off.

On the ship, just make sure you try everything! We had fun from the salsa lessons to the karaoke to the Voltage dance club to the deck parties!

We did the self-debarkation, which was a breeze. If you want to do that, you have to go to the guest relations desk and get a form that you have to have to self-debark; they only allow so many to do that.

Tigerdadky - Hi neighbor! Well, I don't know where Hickman is; we're in Russellville (near Bowling Green.) I am SO relieved you liked Otis; ya know how you recommend something, then worry that others might not like it as much as you did? Now there's another Otis fan! I hope this has drummed him up some business; he seemed like such a nice person and a hard worker. I'm assuming from your name that you are involved in sports with your kid(s) too? My "goLC" is for "go Logan County" which is where I seem to spend a huge amount of my time. Teens do keep you busy!

Beachy - Oh, please DO have a drink to me; that would help my feelings greatly! After we got back from our cruise, I had one more week off work; I go back TOMORROW and I'm not in the right frame of mind for that! But if I know you're enjoying your cruise and having a drink for me, I'll try to get through it!

Yes, the $29 snorkeling is for the day; you can keep it the whole time if you want. It's in a little "shack" that will be almost straight ahead after you follow the path off the tender boat (maybe a little to your left.) I took a cheap $10 underwater camera I picked up at Walmart; I got some AWESOME pics of rays and beautiful fish! I couldn't believe how well they turned out, so that might be something you'd want to take with you. Even my not-so-impressionable son was impressed with the pics. I don't know of Royal Caribbean ever has more than 1 ship at Coco Cay on a given day - Sovereign was the only one there when we were, so it was extremely uncrowded (if that's a word.) Plenty of space, chairs, equipment, food... I think a lot of people didn't get off the ship at all. We were on the first tender, so we had our pick of spots. They were running 2-3 tenders all day, so never a wait. You just put the $29 and any drinks on your sail card; the only thing you'd need cash for is at the little shops, but we didn't go to those because it was starting to sprinkle. The hammocks in the shade work well if you feel like you're getting too much sun but don't want to leave! Definitely try a Coco Loco - very smooth!

I also had my real camera and other stuff I didn't want to get wet; I purchased (also at Walmart, in the camping section) a set of 3 waterproof bags. I kept my stuff in them (they come in 3 different sizes) down in my beach bag, so I didn't have to worry about ruining anything. I guess baggies would have worked just as well, but these were in nice pretty colors and you couldn't see what was in them. In fact, I used one in Nassau, too.

I don't know what your shopping budget is, but you can find about whatever you want, in whatever price range, on Bay Street in Nassau. Much better than the Straw Market, where I lasted maybe 5 minutes before the crowdedness, heat, humidity, and people yelling at me to "come here pretty lady" ran me off.

On the ship, just make sure you try everything! We had fun from the salsa lessons to the karaoke to the Voltage dance club to the deck parties!

We did the self-debarkation, which was a breeze. If you want to do that, you have to go to the guest relations desk and get a form that you have to have to self-debark; they only allow so many to do that.

Tigerdadky - Hi neighbor! Well, I don't know where Hickman is; we're in Russellville (near Bowling Green.) I am SO relieved you liked Otis; ya know how you recommend something, then worry that others might not like it as much as you did? Now there's another Otis fan! I hope this has drummed him up some business; he seemed like such a nice person and a hard worker. I'm assuming from your name that you are involved in sports with your kid(s) too? My "goLC" is for "go Logan County" which is where I seem to spend a huge amount of my time. Teens do keep you busy!

Hickman is the western most city in Ky. about 150 miles from you. My mom in law was raised in Robertson Co., Tenn across the state line from you. We have played you all several times in football playoffs, we have always lost, ha. I have a friend that works at the Logan Co. jail. Maybe we can all cruise together someday. Tiger dad is in reference to my son going and graduating from LSU. Hickman is in Fulton Co.

goLC,

Thanks for this information. My 21 and 24 year old daughters decided the three of us need to go on a cruise. I've always wanted to go to the Bahamas so that's our destination.

We have lots of questions and some have already been answered.

Thanks for this information. I've printed it and plan to look for Otis in January 09.

Linda

Tigerdad - I'm guessing you played Russellville (CITY) in football... Logan County's football stinks...but I'm a die-hard county girl! (guess I have to be... that's where my paycheck comes from!) Cruising seems to have become a popular vacation plan for folks in my area (may it's just that now my friends are being able to afford it!) I know I'm hooked! I wish I could get my family into it, though; so far I've cruised with friends and that's been great, but I could take one cruise with friends and another with family and get twice the amount of vacations! We're looking at doing a western Caribbean again next year.

Teardrops - Hurray for you! I'd love to travel with my mom and sister, but mom's health wouldn't allow it and my sister has been on one cruise and got dreadfully seasick (but she gets sick in the back seat of a car, so what did she expect? :confused: I have practically lived on these boards and asked a zillion questions. Planning the trip is half the fun! You'll enjoy Nassau; it was really a festive place, exactly what I thought it would be! Just don't hesitate to post all of your questions; someone will know the answers!

goLC: glad to hear I'll be help you get through the work week! (: Can't wait to meet Otis, and I will probably invest in those waterproof bags. Good thinking!!! I will keep all of you tips in mind and I can't wait to share what I'll learn with everyone here.

Heard that about the straw market before. It was like that in Cozumel too and it seemed it was all the same stuff with all the same kind of pushy people. Will check out Bay St. YAAAAYYYY!!! shooppiinnnggg!!!

Anyone that will be going to Nassau - please see if you can get some contact info on Otis. I will be going in April and would love to use him as my guide. Will have a group of 8 easily.

Also when I was there this past Jan. we were shopping on Bay Street. I can't remember the name of the Jewerly store, but it was one that the ship promotes (think it is on the left side of the street as you are walking toward the strawmarket), anyway - they had earrings that were studs or you could unroll them and they became a dangle earring. If anyone comes across these as you are shopping, please get the name of the store and/or type of earring this is. I would like to do some research on this before I hopefully purchase a pair on my cruise this April.

A big thanks in advance.

goLC: glad to hear I'll be help you get through the work week! (: Can't wait to meet Otis, and I will probably invest in those waterproof bags. Good thinking!!! I will keep all of you tips in mind and I can't wait to share what I'll learn with everyone here.

Heard that about the straw market before. It was like that in Cozumel too and it seemed it was all the same stuff with all the same kind of pushy people. Will check out Bay St. YAAAAYYYY!!! shooppiinnnggg!!!

Beachy - We went to Cozumel last year and while I don't know if the shopping area right near the port was a straw market, it was like shopping at some upscale mall compared to Nassau's straw market! In Nassau, it is in a big humongous white tent that is crammed floor to ceiling, aisle after aisle after aisle. There was barely room to walk down the aisles, and if you met someone going the opposite way, well, let's just say it was too close for my comfort level! That being said, one of my friends did buy a purse in there - she was all fired up about getting a Dolce for $50, but I'd bet my check it was a knockoff that may fall apart soon... I got a really cute purse in Festival Place for $50 - not a big brand name, but it is cute and a nice "souvenir." Not like anything I've seen in shops here. But Bay Street should have everything you'd need!

Just back from Nassau this past weekend. I took the advise I got on this thread and asked for Otis when we got off the ship. Someone pointed him out to us and he said he would be glad to give us a tour. He then led us and some other people to a van and some other driver who worked for him got in and did the tour. I was disappointed that it was not Otis himself. The other guy was nice, and the tour was fine, but I asked Otis for a tour, not someone else. I just wanted to let others know that if they want Otis himself as their tour guide, they should be very specific when hiring him to be sure he will be doing the tour. He evidently has several drivers working for him now.:rolleyes:

rpmljm: I can imagine your disappointment!! Do you think maybe Otis was off? Hmmm.... how'd you enjoy it otherwise?

No...We met Otis and asked him for a tour. He said yes and led us to a van. Some other guy got in and gave us the tour! He was OK, but I was looking forward to a tour by Otis after reading this thread.

No...We met Otis and asked him for a tour. He said yes and led us to a van. Some other guy got in and gave us the tour! He was OK, but I was looking forward to a tour by Otis after reading this thread.

What did this Otis look like, I think u might have been had, I dont think Otis would have done that, he was really a super guy.

OH, I feel bad now! I'm sorta like Tigerdad, though; the otis that I spent over 2 1/2 hrs with didn't seem like the kind of guy that would abandon you like that... that was one reason I liked him so much. I'm sorry if I made a bad suggestion or if didn't work out for everyone!:( We had just had such a great experience I wanted to share the idea with others!

OH, I feel bad now! I'm sorta like Tigerdad, though; the otis that I spent over 2 1/2 hrs with didn't seem like the kind of guy that would abandon you like that... that was one reason I liked him so much. I'm sorry if I made a bad suggestion or if didn't work out for everyone!:( We had just had such a great experience I wanted to share the idea with others!

I think it was Otis because when we got off the boat and went through the market, I asked one of the men trying to get customers who Otis was. He pointed him out to me and he was very nice when I asked him for the tour. He was tall and thin and nicely dressed. Please don't feel bad...it's not your fault. It was nice of you to let folks know about him. The guy who gave the tour was fine. He works for Otis. I just wanted to let others know my experience so that they can make sure that Otis himself gives them the tour if that's what they prefer. I was just not prepared for the switch so I said nothing and just went along. We saw Otis at Fort Fincastle driving another van with other people in it.

goLC: I know we briefly talked about the weather, but I meant to ask you how was it on deck at night?? Don't want to pack too many warm things because they take up *SO* much space but I don't want to be freezing my hiney off either. What do you think?

Archived