Teens on HAL

Jareen

We are planning an Alaska cruise next summer and have to use HAL because we have a timeshare that allows us to cruise on points with them. I'm a little confused on the teen areas. I know the newly remodled ships have disignated teen areas but what about the others. We want to do inside passage. Could any of you who have cruise HAL with teens let me know your experience. Thanks!

We cruised on the Oosterdam last summer with our 13-year-old and 15-year-old boys. The 13 didn't find anyone his age - he said they were all older and the 15-year-old wanted to hang out with us all the time. That said, they both had a great time on the cruise, even without hanging out with other teens.

The Ryndam is the ship that has just received the SOE improvements including the new teen area which, IMHO is very cool! I have teens and I know mine would love it. The Ryndam does an inside passage cruise during the summer. We were on her last year and loved her without the enhancements. I would suggest you book soon, as the Alaska itineraries fill up quite quickly!:) :cool:

The pictures on the Ryndams enhancements are located at: http://hollandamerica.com/fleet/fleetHome.do?ship=ery

and under "Ryndam Highlights".

Hope this helps!:cool:

Thanks for the quick answers. Yes, I knew the Ryndam does inside but only north/south. We live in the Northwest so we want a roundtrip out of Seattle or Vancouver. A friend is going on the Volendam but I am not sure how good the teen area is on it. Any ideas?

The beatiful and elegant m.s. Ryndam does what they call Alasks Discovery Cruises and go from Vancouver to Seward and back every two weeks. I believe the Rndam will leave on Sundays as will the VEENDAM. THe STATENDAM will do the same during the week.

The "Inside Passage" cruises go out on Wednesday and Saturday. These are round trips out of Vancouver. The ZAANDAM will go on Staturday and I believe the VOLENDAM will go on Wednesday.

HAL also does week long "Explorer Cruises" out of Seattle. The m.s. Amsterdam ( one of the flagships) goes out on Sunday and the m.s. OOSTERDAM, a Vista Class vessel, goes out of Seattle on Saturdays. These two go outside Vancouver Island and the voyage could be a tad rough if there is bad weather in the Pacific.

Himself

From another post I have the impression that the Zaandam, sailing from Vancouver on Saturdays and doing the return inside passage, will have the SOE structural upgrades done in January 2005. Therefore, it will have the teen center that the Ryndam pictures show.

I have sailed to Alaska several times and remember that there was more small children under 10 than teens. I think more familys with teens do the Caribbean. No beach time to speak of in Alaska.

That being said, I think Alaska is so interesting and the scenery, especially Glacier Bay, so spectacular that teens would find it a great vacation.

We sailed the Veendam to Alaska last August with a 12 yr. old and 15 yr. old. They both made some great friends during the week. My daughter (12) met 2 other girls and while at sea they were together as much as possible...we even worked out an excursion in Ketchikan with one of the families. My son (15) is on the shy side, but he had a blast getting together with the other teens, both in the evenings and afternoons at sea. One evening the group of older teens were sitting in the Lido (with one of the cruise "teen center" counselors) until a little after midnight having ice cream and having a great time just talking. The club activities were varied and there seemed to be something for everyone to be interested in. During the past 3 years we've been fortunate to have taken 3 HAL cruises, and the kids both enjoyed the Alaskan cruise the most. I think there were about 240 kids on the ship the week we went, but it never seemed that any of the children were out of control or causing problems. Good luck with your plans.

Archived