Glory 9-27 noro????

sublime118

When I recovered from Noro on an RCI ship, I was told by a crewmember that a person that has had the virus has a resistance for one to two years afterwards. Anyone ever heard this? Anyone been sick from it twice within this time period?

I, personally, have had Noro a couple of times (and yes it was confirmed). But not twice in the same 12 month period. We have about 300 kids in our school (k-5). We usually have 30 kids transfer in each year - plus new kindergarteners that don't have older siblings. When it hits the school it lays waste to classrooms. Last year several class rooms had 4 or 5 students attending (out of 16 kids). So, it is easy to see how 1 sick person can board a cruise ship and by the end of the first port day you've got 100 people sick.

The "unsanitary crew member" is an incorrect assumption. Norovirus is a virus that lasts for a few days and can severely dehydrate if fluids are not pushed, but once your over it, within 24 hour, but in service positions you should wait 48 hours after last symptoms before returning to work, once the symptoms are gone you are not infectious at all. More likely the virus hung out on a surface somewhere on the ship. A handrail or a bathroom surface.

I've seen many people leave restrooms without washing their hands, which is absolutely my biggest pet peeve (I'm a nurse) and that is the number one way to pick up any infection, virus or bacterial, in fact hepatitis can be picked up from a surface after blood contamination ( which could be from bleeding gums, a fingerstick from an accucheck or not washing hands after toileting. Hepatitis can live for days on a surface.

Just wash your hands often people, and if a virus breaks out it's not noro unless the lab confirms it.

Outbreaks happen everywhere, in fact happened in our hospital a couple years ago.

Hope this helps a little.

Happy sailing, Carole

I have noticed that NCL routinely places hand sanitizer at the doors to every food area, throughout the ship, and they ask everyone to use the sanitizer upon entering the ship.

I am wondering why Carnival does not do the same. It can't but help control some sickness.

I have noticed that NCL routinely places hand sanitizer at the doors to every food area, throughout the ship, and they ask everyone to use the sanitizer upon entering the ship.

I am wondering why Carnival does not do the same. It can't but help control some sickness.

Hand sanitizers will not kill viruses. They were everywhere on the ship and I used them often and washed my hands often. Still got noro.

OP's have stated that the crew started serving in the buffet lines after a breakout. I do not understand why ships let passengers serve themselves in buffet lines. People touch the same serving utensils over and over. It only takes one sick person to spread it.

"Hand sanitizers will not kill viruses. They were everywhere on the ship and I used them often and washed my hands often. Still got noro."

I beg to differ but, hand sanitizers are reportedly are very effective against the Norovirus.

http://www.handwashingforlife.com/new_norovirus_alcohol_hand_sanitizer

My issue is that Carnival does not use them until an outbreak occurs, whereas NCL uses them routinely.

Freedom had the hand sanitizer stations on our last 2 cruises - no noro present. They were outside the dining rooms, in the buffet area, by the grill, by the purser's desk, and I think I saw a few others floating around. I was quite pleased to see them. They also had hand wipe thingies to use to open the bathroom doors after you did your business. At least they are trying...

cp1824, did you report to Carnival headquarters about such terrible medical practices?

What was your cabin number?

I'd like to report my experience to Carnival when I get the chance. It's not likely I'll cruise with Carnival again because of it though.

I don't want to reveal the exact cabin number for privacy reasons, but it was on the panorama deck, portside forward. I sure hope they cleaned that cabin well after we checked out. I wiped everything down with antibacterial wipes that I'd brought from home with me, and the room steward was wiping down surfaces with bleach but I imagine that cabin was/is crawling with norovirus. Especially the bathroom. :eek:

I was on this sailing with several family members celebrating my husbands 50th. I became very sick Tuesday morning as well as my mother-in-law. We both went to the infirmary and were given medication for the nausea sent to our cabins and quarantined. I was released from quarantine the next day after being released from the infirmary. Interesting that my mother-in=law and I were the only ones in our group who ate the ceasar salad the night before.

I believe we were roommates in the infirmary and you were discussing the caesar salad issue with my husband!

NCL goes to the extreme with the hand santizers - they spray you (!) every time you walk through the buffet area even if you are just passing through which you have to get across the ship. It is annoying.

My son got sea sick - it was very rough seas - and was banned from the kids club for 24 hours. He was so sad. I understand but there is a definite difference between the stomach flu and sea sickness.

Yes, NCL goes to the extreme with hand sanitizers - but they still have as many norovirus outbreaks as other cruiselines. If you read CP1824's post, you'll notice that she was constantly using hand sanitizers she brought with her, yet still caught it. It went through my office last winter - and it was equal opportunity among the people that constantly use Purell and those that don't.

The cruiselines follow CDC guidelines, and the CDC does not recommend the use of hand sanitizers to stop the spread of norovirus. They recommend hand washing with soap and hot water as that is most effective.

Archived