Can you get dinner in cabin at no extra cost?

WCAB

We are traveling with our Mom and Dad (88 and 83). They have decided they do not want to do formal in the dining room and my sister suggested they have dinner delivered in the cabin. I said that since the ship has implemented the ultimate dining experience on your balcony, I was not sure they deliver a full dinner at no extra cost to the cabins. Does anyone know if you can have a complete dinner delivered without it being the romatic, pay extra meal?

We are traveling with our Mom and Dad (88 and 83). They have decided they do not want to do formal in the dining room and my sister suggested they have dinner delivered in the cabin. I said that since the ship has implemented the ultimate dining experience on your balcony, I was not sure they deliver a full dinner at no extra cost to the cabins. Does anyone know if you can have a complete dinner delivered without it being the romatic, pay extra meal?

As said, no, not unless they are booked in a full suite. Otherwise they can either choose the UBD for $100 per couple, or order from the basic room service menu which is more of a light meal with sandwiches and salads. The cruise line is quite strict on this policy. Age of the passenger will not play a part in this one.

Only other option I might suggest is to tell them they can go to the buffet if they don't want to attend the formal festivites or dress code.

We were on the Diamond this past February. and I had the unfortunate luck of hurting my ankle. Because I had difficulty walking, we were able to order from the dining room dinner menu several nights with no problem whatsoever. My husband went down asked for the dinner menu, brought it up to the cabin, and we ordered over the phone. We were in a mini suite at the time and not a regular suite. It didn't seem to be a big deal on the Diamond; but then again, the Diamond is managed in a way that all of Princess' ships SHOULD be run.:)

We were on the Diamond this past February. and I had the unfortunate luck of hurting my ankle. Because I had difficulty walking, we were able to order from the dining room dinner menu several nights with no problem whatsoever. My husband went down asked for the dinner menu, brought it up to the cabin, and we ordered over the phone. We were in a mini suite at the time and not a regular suite. It didn't seem to be a big deal on the Diamond; but then again, the Diamond is managed in a way that all of Princess' ships SHOULD be run.:)

This definitely isn't the norm onboard Princess. Glad you were able to have this delivered, but I would not count on it happening again. You just experienced one of those very rare moments and got very lucky. ;)

Hope the ankle healed!

This definitely isn't the norm onboard Princess. Glad you were able to have this delivered, but I would not count on it happening again. You just experienced one of those very rare moments and got very lucky. ;)

Hope the ankle healed!

Thanks, Toto, it did finally heal. However, there was no wearing high heels for quite a while.;) At 5'1", that was a horror. :eek:

Also, you are correct in saying I must have been lucky on that sailing. I certainly was. I was the winner of the raffle for the Swarvsky crystal model of the Diamond, and it is beautiful!!!!

Possible -- but I will leave it to you to figure out the way. Yes -- this is cryptic!

Does anyone know if you can have a complete dinner delivered without it being the romatic, pay extra meal?

You can also go up to the buffet and bring the food to the cabin for them.

Thanks, we will probably walk them to the buffet prior to us going to the dining room.

:rolleyes: I hesitate to reply..........but........about 8 years ago , my daughter had a slight case of what is known now as Noro-Virus. Then it was first known as the Norwalk Virus. For the first 4 days, my wife or I ate full meals delivered to our room. Perhaps that policy is changed now, as everything does. I am sure that your cabin steward can arrange something that is acceptable to you. And, a couple of dollars wont hurt. .........it's the American way!!:D

countdown.pl?name=FireBadge1&date=12-19-2008&image=Beach-2&text=&ship=Grand Princess

:rolleyes: I hesitate to reply..........but........about 8 years ago , my daughter had a slight case of what is known now as Noro-Virus. Then it was first known as the Norwalk Virus. For the first 4 days, my wife or I ate full meals delivered to our room. Perhaps that policy is changed now, as everything does. I am sure that your cabin steward can arrange something that is acceptable to you. And, a couple of dollars wont hurt. .........it's the American way!!:D

countdown.pl?name=FireBadge1&date=12-19-2008&image=Beach-2&text=&ship=Grand Princess

We did the same thing up until about 2-3 years ago. We could just call down, have the diningroom menu delivered and make our choices. But when Princess began the Ultimate Balcony Dining, they stopped this practice except for those booked in full suites.

Lots have changed on cruise lines in the last 8 years, big changes when it comes to things like this, sorry to say. :(

This is my suggestion and how I would handle it if I were in your situation. I would approach the Maitre De (sp? No idea how to spell that) and I would explain that my parents were not feeling very well. I would then ask if it were possible for me to order something "to go" that I might bring back to them in their cabin. My guess is that they would insist on delivering it to the cabin.

I had a similiar experience on a cruise and they would not allow me to carry out anything but insisted on delivering it.

Ask nicely and see what happens. The worst they could do is say "No" and I rarely hear that on a cruise.

This is my suggestion and how I would handle it if I were in your situation. I would approach the Maitre De (sp? No idea how to spell that) and I would explain that my parents were not feeling very well. I would then ask if it were possible for me to order something "to go" that I might bring back to them in their cabin. My guess is that they would insist on delivering it to the cabin.

I had a similiar experience on a cruise and they would not allow me to carry out anything but insisted on delivering it.

Ask nicely and see what happens. The worst they could do is say "No" and I rarely hear that on a cruise.

And in these days if you decide to try that, you may find the HAZMAT team and the medic at your cabin door. Don't think I would even take the chance on this one. ;) ;)

And in these days if you decide to try that, you may find the HAZMAT team and the medic at your cabin door. Don't think I would even take the chance on this one. ;) ;)

Isn't that the truth! Especially with the ages of your parents. They will find themselves quaranteened (sp?) for several days and miss much of the cruise. So, please do not say they are not feeling well.

Call the room service supervisor and explain situation. I am sure your parents will be accommodated. If they say "no" you haven't lost anything. It's definitely worth a try.:p

I agree with Tina G. Although I like to do formal myself, your parents will be just fine in a nicer outfit, not formal, just nice slacks and top for Mom and same for dad--if he has a sport coat and tie, it's better, but I bet he'll be okay without.

If they are going to use the dining room for non-formal nights, they can probably wear something similar on formal nights, especially if you talk to the dining room staff and explain that they are just not up to dressing up too much.

Or, find them dressy but simple clothes. Really, a pair of black slacks and patterned top is fine for Mom, nice slacks and button shirt/tie, for dad, in these circumstances. "Church' clothes work too. This what lots of people wear anyway.

I would first check with the Maitre D' concerning ordering from the dining room menu, but if that does not work and they don't want to hassel with the buffet, your parents can actually get a good meal via room service. We were very tired one night and ordered chef salads, soups, a club sandwich and dessert through room service. It hit the spot after eating such heavy foods in the dining room for several days.

Slacks and a long sleeve button shirt for the man and a dress or slacks and a nice top is all that they need to eat in the dining room. Not everyone dresses with tux and gown on formal night. Although the dining rooms and public rooms are generally very cold he might bring a jacket or sweater as well.

Slacks and a long sleeve button shirt for the man and a dress or slacks and a nice top is all that they need to eat in the dining room. Not everyone dresses with tux and gown on formal night. Although the dining rooms and public rooms are generally very cold he might bring a jacket or sweater as well.

Ithink this poster is correct. If the maitre D' does not let them in tell him some of their luggage was lost - like his suit. If he still does not let them in to dinner ask to have it sent to their room. It is difficult to believe they will not try to accomidate you.

I would first check with the Maitre D' concerning ordering from the dining room menu, but if that does not work and they don't want to hassel with the buffet, your parents can actually get a good meal via room service. We were very tired one night and ordered chef salads, soups, a club sandwich and dessert through room service. It hit the spot after eating such heavy foods in the dining room for several days.

You know, you have a point. My sister and I were talking today and this light menu might be OK for an evening or two. We all go out to dinner once a week and Mom and Dad always split one meal, so they might not mind that they cannot get a full meal served.

Thanks for all the advise.

I agree that it is possible but not the norm. I have done it since the introduction of the ultimate balcony dinner. I have also been told no...that was on the CB. I have been successful getting lobster delivered to my cabin on the Crown and on the Sapphire within the last 2 years. It never hurts to ask.

Archived