Poutine in Halifax or St John

As far as I know, poutine is very much a Quebec thing. I'm not sure you would find it in either of those ports.

However, if you're going to New Brunswick (St.John), you MUST go to a Tim Horton's!

I agree that poutine is a Quebec specialty. I live in Saint John and have never seen it on a menu anywhere.

I'm not sure what Canada's national dish would be, lots of regional dishes, poutine being one from Quebec. Having said that, I have seen poutine on menus in other regions in recent years. Even Burger King had it on their menu at one time. I know New York Fries even had it on the menu at the outlet at MacAllister Place Mall in Saint John, don't know if either still do.

Please don't eat it at McDonald's, Wendy's or Burger King and expect that it will be anywhere near authentic! The American fast food chains generally make their sauce from chemical packets and well... it tastes like sauce from a packet. Also, outside of Quebec it's much more difficult to get the cheese curds (usually Gouda) that is the mark of a real poutine and instead they use cheese, often mozzarella.

I'm really not sure about Saint John, maybe Deluxe French Fries might carry it.

Every region of Canada has it's own specialities. Canada is a country that celebrates difference, so we really don't have a "national" dish, per se. Maybe maple syrup? (And it's NOTHING like that Aunt Jemima flavoured corn syrup.) Maybe it's rotisserie chicken? Alberta beef? Maritime/Quebec lobster? Quebec pea soup, sugar pie or tortiere? Ontario butter tarts? Newfoundland flipper pie or screech? Pacific or Atlantic Salmon? Nanaimo bar? It's just too good a selection to choose just one.

I would like to try that national fast food of Canada, poutine. Any recommendations for a great spot in either port to sample the real deal?

If you would like to try a local dish it is a "donair'

The one voted the best by a local poll was

King of Donair, 1580 Grafton Street which is right downtown just a few streets up from the waterfront

Being from Quebec, I can tell you that to have a real poutine, it has to have the cheese from that morning. The way you can tell that it is fresh, is that it squeaks on your teeth.!! I know that this sounds weird, but any visitors we have all want to try it and find it a really unique experience.:D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
As far as I know, poutine is very much a Quebec thing. I'm not sure you would find it in either of those ports.

However, if you're going to New Brunswick (St.John), you MUST go to a Tim Horton's!

In Halifax

Timmies is a must. Double double and a crueller.

Oat Cakes are to die for.

Saint john

Mrs Dunsters doughnuts (they are from Fredericton but some make their way to SJ)

Fiddleheads with butter, pepper and lemon juice.

Harvey's has it and I think Swiss Chalet might, too.

Viv

My Quebecois dead mother-in-law just rotated in her grave. There isn't a single Swiss Chalet in Quebec, and while I like them, their gravy isn't the right one. Harvey's had great fries, but likely makes their gravy from a packet and the cheese isn't fresh. You are better off going into a greasy spoon anywhere in Quebec, a chip wagon or even a deli.

My Quebecois dead mother-in-law just rotated in her grave. There isn't a single Swiss Chalet in Quebec, and while I like them, their gravy isn't the right one. Harvey's had great fries, but likely makes their gravy from a packet and the cheese isn't fresh. You are better off going into a greasy spoon anywhere in Quebec, a chip wagon or even a deli.

I think the OP asked about getting it in the Maritimes.

Viv

• 2 months later...

I know this is a relatively old post, but I just saw it. Lo & behold, I have a picture of poutine that I found on my Halifax Personal Pub Excursion. This was at Rogue's Roost, which was my Pub #5. I don't know how authentic it was, but it was decadent and delicious!

poutine.jpg.cbcac32b8b7582757a76017cb5c34b6d.jpg

I know this is a relatively old post, but I just saw it. Lo & behold, I have a picture of poutine that I found on my Halifax Personal Pub Excursion. This was at Rogue's Roost, which was my Pub #5. I don't know how authentic it was, but it was decadent and delicious!

With ketchup? I just lost my dinner.

The only way to tell if it's authentic is taste, really. From here it looks like they used cheese and not cheese curds. I'm sure it was good.. but authentic is pretty hard to do outside of the Quebec because of the problem of sourcing the Gouda cheese curds.

Archived