Difference in Routes

Muumuu

What is the difference between Northbound, Southbound and Glacier Bay?

Also, early or late in the season.

Want to do one and will only be able to do one. So I want it to be the best!

Thank you and any and all info is appreciated.

I will be reading most of the Alaska board but not for a while due to work.

Alaska cruises are either roundtrip from Vancouver, Seattle, San Francisco - or one way between Vancouver and Seward or Whittier, Alaska. Vancouver to Seward/Whittier is northbound, and Seward/Whittier to Vancouver is southbound. Glacier Bay is a national park, and it is included on the itineraries of some ships. It is also sometimes paired with College Fjord in Prince William Sound. Other ships go to Hubbard Glacier or Tracy Arm Fjord.

The Alaska cruise season is May-September, with May being early and September being late. :) The most popular (and usually most expensive) times to cruise are June-August.

I think the only time you go on the east side of Vancouver Island is when you leave from or go to Vancouver. The other ports seem to use the ocean side, and the inside passage to the east of the island is very interesting.

Celebrity, did do a one way Inside Vancouver Island on previous round trip Seattle sailings.

What is the difference between Northbound, Southbound and Glacier Bay?

Also, early or late in the season.

Want to do one and will only be able to do one. So I want it to be the best!

Thank you and any and all info is appreciated.

I will be reading most of the Alaska board but not for a while due to work.

Take a look at a map. These are guidelines only, as the actual route of a cruiseship can vary significantly week to week, depending on the cpt and conditions.

I find both round trips and one ways offering excellent Alaska opportunities for scenic sailing. You just have to pick your preferences.

The last two sailing in Sept, have the worse potential for weather of the entire season, you need to be well prepared in your attire. Also dusk is around 7pm, so significantly less than other timeframes and you have to keep that in mind for touring, scenic sailing opportunities.

Early season, can also have some pretty foul weather. But longer daylight. I don't find rates worth those timeframes for me. They used to be give aways- around half price, no longer. That is when I went, and also always had a second trip the same year, those were always better, one year went three times. These are general averages, you will get some excellent weeks but there is no way to predict.

Archived