Nanaimo

We visited Nanaimo while on the Sapphire Princess during a Pacific coastal cruise (9/20-9/27/08). I had read some poor reviews of this town. To the contrary, we liked it very much. We were there on a Sunday and while some stores were closed, many were open. We walked around the delightful little town and visited their museum and several used book stores. (I collect vintage dog books and found one I had been seeking.) We talked to one of the people who was manning the information booth right on the pier. We told him we were looking for a fun place for lunch and he suggested the Dinghy Dock Pub on Protection Island. He told us the ferry charged $10 per person but sometimes there is someone at the ferry offering free tickets. Sure enough, the free ticket lady was there and we took the ferry to the pub. The pub is a picturesque place with indoor and outdoor seating. We sat outside and enjoyed the terrific weather that day. The floatplanes were taking off and landing and it was really pleasant. I ordered the special of the day which was fried bacon wrapped oysters. They were the freshest, tastiest oysters I have ever eaten. We also enjoyed a pint of Okanagan Pale Ale with our lunches. Those Canadians certainly know how to make a wonderful brew!

Coming back on the ferry from Duke Point yesterday I saw the Celebrity Mercury at anchor in Nanaimo harbour and it brought back memories of my repo cruise on the Star in 2005 that made a stop there.

Haven't eaten at that pub and on the cruise day in question took the little ferry over to Newcastle Island and walked around the Isalnd.

Nanaimo is a wonderful small town of 80,000 that sits a short distance from many great tourist attractions.

Cheers

Dennis

We visited Nanaimo while on the Sapphire Princess during a Pacific coastal cruise (9/20-9/27/08). I had read some poor reviews of this town. To the contrary, we liked it very much. We were there on a Sunday and while some stores were closed, many were open. We walked around the delightful little town and visited their museum and several used book stores. (I collect vintage dog books and found one I had been seeking.) We talked to one of the people who was manning the information booth right on the pier. We told him we were looking for a fun place for lunch and he suggested the Dinghy Dock Pub on Protection Island. He told us the ferry charged $10 per person but sometimes there is someone at the ferry offering free tickets. Sure enough, the free ticket lady was there and we took the ferry to the pub. The pub is a picturesque place with indoor and outdoor seating. We sat outside and enjoyed the terrific weather that day. The floatplanes were taking off and landing and it was really pleasant. I ordered the special of the day which was fried bacon wrapped oysters. They were the freshest, tastiest oysters I have ever eaten. We also enjoyed a pint of Okanagan Pale Ale with our lunches. Those Canadians certainly know how to make a wonderful brew!

Hi - Good for you - Sounds like you had a very pleasant day. Okanagan Pale Ale is my favorite beer.

Coral - you could have gone to Cathedral Grove Provincial Park - There you would find the largest and most beautiful old growth Cedar trees in the world. Beautiful walking trails and lots to see.

I am glad you had a good time in Nanaimo it sounds like you found a few things that really appealed to you and that is great. It is just that Nanaimo is one those places when someone says "what can we do there" we are kind of stuck for an answer. It is a pleasant town in many respects it is just that it tends to be more of a trading and business center for central Vancouver Island and many of the sights such as Cathedral Grove are some distance out of town. It was at one time considered the shopping centre capital of the province, was said to have more pubs than churches and as I recall there was a liquor store there that held (and probably still does)the provincial record for annual beer sales.

PD - I think a few beer got drank at the Malaspina in the old days - we sometimes would take the CPR ferry over for the evening and if the turn around time was long enough would walk the short distance to the Malapsina and see how many we could down before returning to the ferry.

Things to do in Nanaimo:

Walk the promenade along the waterfront.

Hike the forested trails in Bowen Park

Rent a car and head up to Rathtrevor park in Parksville + explore Englishmen River Falls

Head down island to Chemainus and its historical murals

Take the small boat over to Newcastle Island and get a good close up of your ship at anchor.

Check out the Tourism Nanaimo web site:

http://www.tourismnanaimo.com/visitors/things-to-do.php

for lots of things to do.

Cheers

Dennis

PD - I think a few beer got drank at the Malaspina in the old days - we sometimes would take the CPR ferry over for the evening and if the turn around time was long enough would walk the short distance to the Malapsina and see how many we could down before returning to the ferry.

The old CPR ferry service, the Princess of Vancouver, was something that I had completely forgot about. But it did depart from about where Canada Place is now and came in to Nanaimo near where the Harbour Park Shopping Centre is (which coincidently was developed and owned for years by Marathon Realty, the CPR's real estate arm). After that 4 hour trip you must have been thirsty; we North Vancouver lads would never do that .... but we certainly did do some pub crawls in Nanaimo over the bathtub race weekends back in the days of Frank Ney.:D

PD - if i remember correctly didn't the Princess of Vancouver have a bar on it so we were able to get warmed up before getting to the Malaspina - is the current dock for the Gabriola ferry not the old CPR dock since it is in the general area and behind Harbour Park mall.

Cheers

Dennis

It is quite likely that the Princess of Vancouver had a bar as I think that was one of the reasons people took the CPR ferry whereas WAC said "not on my ships". That is why on Friday nights groups of commercial travellers did and still today book staterooms and use them as "snakepits". As to the location of the terminals it is likely they are one and the same as I believe at some point the CPR sold their ship (s) to the Ministry of Highways which were eventually turned over to BC Ferries. However for some reason I have the Garbriola terminal just slightly up island from the mall and the old CPR car/rail terminal just below the mall.....but I could be very wrong on that.

I forgot that there is also bungee jumping as well - and yes you can do it in the nude if you wish.

Cruiseryyc - we are dated and well-preserved but then if you know about the old CPR ships you just might be in our zoomer bracket.

What's a zoomer - it's a boomer with zip.

PD - trust the Dr.'s app't for your wife went okay.

Cheers

Dennis

Cruiseryyc - we are dated and well-preserved but then if you know about the old CPR ships you just might be in our zoomer bracket.

What's a zoomer - it's a boomer with zip.

PD - trust the Dr.'s app't for your wife went okay.

Heck I was only 5 when the CPR ships stopped sailing:rolleyes: guess that makes me a Zooooomer. And you believe that and I have just the bridge for you.

Yes, all went well, it was a semi-annual she has at the eye institute at VGH so one more at the MS Clinic at UBC on the 23rd and we will be heading south for the winter on the 25th. In other words, in 20 days or less I will be eating my first In-N-Out burger of the season.:D

Oh I don't think I'm a "zoomer" yet :-) My father worked for BC Coast Services and I've heard my parents talk about the old ships - you know "back in the good old days"!!

PD - glad to hear your wife passed her medical and you're now heading south for the winter.

Archived