Advice on Rio De Janeiro

mmudr

hi

We are taking a re-positioning MSC Musica cruise from Rio De Janeiro to Venice in March (2009). We will be arriving in Rio on 17th for a 2 night stay prior to our cruise departure on the 19th.

Would appreciate it if past cruisers could provide some advice and any recommendations re:

- Airport to hotel transfers

- Hotel to cruise transfers

- Good value accommodation (pre-cruise hotel or B&B), and

- Things to do and see during on such a short stay.

Thanks..... Morris and Tinie from Sydney ;) Australia

Hi

I give you any past cruise reccomendations, but as Rio virgins too, we settled on the Premier Copacabana Hotel, as it seemed to have decent reviews on hotels.com / expedia and seemed by far the cheaper option at around 60 GBP per night, plus tax.

Most of the people on our role call were staying at the Sheraton Resort or the Windsor Excelsior, both of which are on the beach and twice the price. We're only overnighting so we don't really care as long as the area isn't too dodgy.

I also booked a one way transfer with a private company for about 30 GBP from the airport to the hotel, and the driver meets you on the airport concorse rather than being pounced on by hungry drivers outside!

Hi

I give you any past cruise reccomendations, but as Rio virgins too, we settled on the Premier Copacabana Hotel, as it seemed to have decent reviews on hotels.com / expedia and seemed by far the cheaper option at around 60 GBP per night, plus tax.

Most of the people on our role call were staying at the Sheraton Resort or the Windsor Excelsior, both of which are on the beach and twice the price. We're only overnighting so we don't really care as long as the area isn't too dodgy.

I also booked a one way transfer with a private company for about 30 GBP from the airport to the hotel, and the driver meets you on the airport concorse rather than being pounced on by hungry drivers outside!

The Sheraton is the ONLY place in SA I have ever seen that has an ARMED guard on the beach. The beach is supposed to be PRIVATE. However, the Sheraton sits far from anything and is right next to one of the favelas (barrios-ghettos-shanty towns) and the beach is filled with kids from the neighborhood.

You cannot walk around outside the Sheraton, as you can other hotels in Rio in Leblon or Copa. You are literally taking your life in your hands-not only is the neighborhood dangerous but you have to walk on a heavily traveled road, especially across the bridge. The Sheraton does have a shuttle to "downtown", but it doesn't run on any kind of regular schedule

Rio is a dirty, dangerous city. I have posted this before, but I will post it again. We used to have our annual meeting in Rio. But three years ago, the S Americans on the board REFUSED to go to Rio anymore. Just too dangerous. We now have our meeting in rotating cities but NOT Rio.

Please be careful. Do NOT wear expensive jewelry, take expensive cameras, etc. Dress like the bag lady and you won't have any problems. Take your new Coach purse-you are asking for trouble.

From what you have said, I'm glad that I'm only overnighting and nothing more!

The Sheraton is the ONLY place in SA I have ever seen that has an ARMED guard on the beach. The beach is supposed to be PRIVATE. However, the Sheraton sits far from anything and is right next to one of the favelas

Which Sheraton are you meaning? There appears to be 2: "The Sheraton Barra Hotel & Suites" or the "The Sheraton Rio Hotel & Resort" [the one most people off our roll call are staying at]?

From what you have said, I'm glad that I'm only overnighting and nothing more!

Which Sheraton are you meaning? There appears to be 2: "The Sheraton Barra Hotel & Suites" or the "The Sheraton Rio Hotel & Resort" [the one most people off our roll call are staying at]?

The Sheraton Resort ON THE PRIVATE BEACH. The cruise lines LOVE to put people up at this hotel. You are essentially "captured" and so anything you want-tour, food, etc. has to be done through the cruise line. The restaurant has VERY few menus in English. Most of the menus are in Portuguese and the food is not very good.

Here's a few pictures of the beach taken about 5 years ago. I tried to take a picture of the armed guard, but he walked up to me and told me NO!!! So I retreated to my room (facing the ocean) and took pictures from there. If you look at the first picture, the guard is the guy off far to the left (without a shirt). The majority of people in the pictures are NOT hotel guests-they are from the neighborhood. Especially the young guys diving off the rocks.

beach-good-Sheraton.jpg.0439a407add774efa81cd8033efe68f6.jpg

141373742_beach2Sheraton.jpg.4112e5e50cbaa622ac7e450c851b5594.jpg

797284110_beach3Sheraton.jpg.d0da412d6e957472482a9985e382d2cd.jpg

hi

We are taking a re-positioning MSC Musica cruise from Rio De Janeiro to Venice in March (2009). We will be arriving in Rio on 17th for a 2 night stay prior to our cruise departure on the 19th.

Try to change Rio de Janeiro for Santos.

Santos is a not so big city, but a busy port, with a very beautiful ocean front! Just about 60/90 minutes (depends of the traffic) by taxi from São Paulo Airport (GRU). Average fare is about US$ 80. You have good hotels, not so expensive as in Rio.

Santos is much safer than Rio!

Wotan

Rio .. its a fantastic place .. just be carefull and stay in the ares with many people.

The best advise from this post is .... Please be careful. Do NOT wear expensive jewelry, take expensive cameras, etc. Dress like the bag lady and you won't have any problems.

I would get a hotel on Cococabana .. just to stroll the beach front with its many little places to get a drink and watch the people is just great.

I saw the Sheraton .. it's out on it's own and would not suggest it.

We explored Rio both the main town area and beach areas using the local bus .. not a problem and can not wait to go back .. but as said above dress to blend in with the people.

As you explore you will find many great places to eat .. the food is great and if you have a question people are very helpfull and nice

Morris and Tinie,

I recommend the Marriot and Sofitel both 5* in Copacabana if you can afford them. The Ipanema Sol 4*, a Best Western, may run a bit less. March is the tail end of high season ( start of shoulder season) so prices may be steep although the Braisilian R$ has weakened about 30% against the GBP in just the past 2 weeks owing to the turmoil in the financial markets. A good 3* choice would be the Arpoador Hotel located at the end of Ipanema next to Copacabana.

With respect to getting from GIG airport to the Sheraton in Sao Conrado, or any of those hotels I mentioned all of which are a bit closer to GIG, at today's exchange rate (R$3.8 per GBP) 30 GBP is roughly 3 times what a comfortable , safe, metered cab would cost. You are getting ripped off by whoever sold you the "private car" service. I traveled from GIG to my home in Leblon just this morning (a bit farther than any of the hotels I mentioned) and the cost was R$38 not counting R$2 for the bags...and the traffic was stop and go a lot of the way. The cost of a metered cab from central Ipanema to the pier is about R$30. Consult the www.tripadvisor Rio forum for more detailed info on cabs/arrival.

There are no private beaches in Rio which explains why the local kids can occupy the beach in front of the Sheraton. Access is difficult (purposely so) but the kids take paths down to the beachfront with ease. As you would expect only hotel guests are allowed poolside so if for some reason you opt for the Sheraton Sao Conrado you can flop at the pool and descend to the beach via a flight of stairs if the ocean is your thing.

The beach in front of this Sheraton is narrow and for some reason having to with tides and sewer pipe logistics the water is more polluted than the neighboring beaches on either side ( Leblon and Barra de Tijuca). No one outside the hotel except for the kids from the neighboring favela (who present no threat other than theft) ever goes there.

The reports of crime in Rio are exaggerated, however, it remains one of the dodgiest cities for street crime against tourists. Assuming you exercise common sense the odds of suffering a purse snatching, picked pocket, or worse yet, an assault, are not significantly greater than they would be in the tourist zones of many other major metropolises. There is no need to obsess about your safety. You will be able to comfortably and calmly walk on the all the streets you need to negotiate during the day. Use taxi cabs at night. Consult the tripadvisor site for things to do. Obviously Sugarloaf and Corcovado are 2 main attractions to consider. You do not need a guide for either.

A little OT but I'm hoping to catch the SA experts....;);)

I posted a question on the Cruise Air forum about travel from Sao Paulo to Rio & received some good advice. I'm still looking for a response to the following. Can anyone help? Many thanks.

I went to to the TAM website & read their baggage rules. The checked baggage restrictions won't be a problem as we travel with only 1 checked bag each, usually weighing less than 50 lbs. But the carry-on restriction of 5 kg is a bit worrying. That's where we stash all the heavy stuff! Do you know if they actually weigh & measure your carry-ons at Sao Paulo?

A little OT but I'm hoping to catch the SA experts....;);)

I posted a question on the Cruise Air forum about travel from Sao Paulo to Rio & received some good advice. I'm still looking for a response to the following. Can anyone help? Many thanks.

I'm in Lima now. When I fly to Juliaca tomorrow, if I remember, I will ask at the TAM counter. But I'm going to make an educated guess (and I haven't been on a TAM plane for two years) that they are pretty strict. May let you get by with 7KG, but probably not much more. Most of the SA discount carriers are fairly strict with luggage weight. One big reason I fly LAN in SA.

We just got back from a trip to Rio and stayed at the Porto International on Copacobana. If I had it to do over again, I would have stayed in Leblon. The hotel was very nice and the location was fine during the day but not the best place to be at night. Leblon is much safer from what I hear.

Try to change Rio de Janeiro for Santos.

Santos is a not so big city, but a busy port, with a very beautiful ocean front! Just about 60/90 minutes (depends of the traffic) by taxi from São Paulo Airport (GRU). Average fare is about US$ 80. You have good hotels, not so expensive as in Rio.

Santos is much safer than Rio!

Wotan

Sounds nice, but most people here are going to be in Rio to embark or disembark from a cruise. So they have to spend some time in Rio. Side trips are another topic.

Hi

I know not to wear expensive jewelry but what about diamond studs that i leave in all the time..do you suggest to take them out and leave them on the ship. we are going to be 8 people in a private van being picked up at the ship and touring for the day and going back to the ship. I usually never take them out. Just curious what others suggest. Will be there Feb 14.

Doris

Archived