Can someone explain RC tipping?

E&B

The only line I've ever cruised is NCL and tips are automatically added to your on-board account, although you can choose top tip more.

How do pre-paid tips work on RC? I've read about vouchers. Do we fill out a certain amount and hand them to crew? How do they work if you pre-pay?

If you decide to pre-pay, you will be given vouchers and envelopes in your cabin the last night to hand to those who have served you. Off ourse, if the srvice warrants it, you may tip additional amounts in cash. When pre-paying, you must tip at least the recommended amount.

Or, you can forgo that option, and just put cash in the envelopes to hand out--your choice!

You can pay the recommended amount of tips before you even set foot on the ship, or you can fill out a form whilst onboard to have the recommended amount added to your onboard account.

In either of these cases, vouchers will be left in your room. Each voucher is labelled as to the position of the person it is meant for (room steward, waiter, assistant waiter, head waiter).

Envelopes with the same labels are left in your room regardless of whether you pre-pay your tips. If you have vouchers, you put them in the envelopes. If you choose to tip in cash, you put cash in the envelopes.

The following is from the Royal Caribbean web site...

"So that you can thank those who have made your cruise vacation better than you could have imagined, we've developed these gratuity guidelines:

Suite attendant: $5.75 USD a day per guest

Stateroom attendant: $3.50 USD a day per guest

Dining Room Waiter: $3.50 USD a day per guest

Assistant Waiter: $2.00 USD a day per guest

Headwaiter: $.75 USD a day per guest

Note: These gratuities apply to guests of all ages.

Gratuities for other service personnel are at your discretion. A 15% gratuity will automatically be added to your bar bill or wine check when you are served.

Notice to Guests: Gratuities may be shared with other crew members depending on the particular service requirement.

Envelopes for gratuities will be provided in your stateroom on the last night of the cruise. Gratuities may be paid in the following ways:

Pre paid by having them added to your reservation by your booking agent.

Added to your onboard SeaPass account.

Paid in cash at the end of the cruise"

The only line I've ever cruised is NCL and tips are automatically added to your on-board account, although you can choose top tip more.

How do pre-paid tips work on RC? I've read about vouchers. Do we fill out a certain amount and hand them to crew? How do they work if you pre-pay?

Since you're interested in knowing about tipping and how to best do it, I can assume you will tip at least the minimum SUGGESTED amount. So to you, I recommend you tip cash at the end of your trip and not prepay.

There are some service people out there that do not deserve the tip. And if you've prepaid them and are unfortunate enough to get one of these people, you'll be very angry in having prepaid and the hassle to get that prepayment changed. I know this is 1 or 2% of the people on board, but the fact is they're there.

Pay cash and pay at the end and you'll have piece of mind in that they can better use the cash and you paid what you thought was fair for the service you actually received.

So regardless whether I pre-pay or tip in cash, I have to track down each of the various staff members to hand them their envelope?

It has been reported several times that even if you do not hand the envelope with the voucher in it to the recipient, the tip will still be given to the person. The difference would be that if you planned to give extra in cash, unless you locate the person you want to receive the extra, he/she won't get it. We usually put the tips on our SeaPass, but give out extra to those who deserve it.

Because only a few people are tipped, it is easy to hand out tips on the last night. We have had reservations for dinner the last night in Portofino and have gone to the dining room early to give the waiter, assistant and head waiter our tips. The cabin steward will be around or you may leave his envelope on the bed or someplace where it will be easily seen.

Envelopes for gratuities will be provided in your stateroom on the last night of the cruise. Gratuities may be paid in the following ways:

Pre paid by having them added to your reservation by your booking agent.

Added to your onboard SeaPass account.

Paid in cash at the end of the cruise"

Last cruise we decided against the pre-paid gratuities and were going to pay cash at the end of the cruise. The purser added the pre-determined tip amounts to our SeaPass account instead and refused to take the charge off. So we decided to pay that way, even though we had the cash on hand. I suppose we could have pushed more to get the gratuities taken off our SeaPass account, but it surprised me by their attitude about why we wouldn't want the tips on our SeaPass account. I got the strong impression that the purser thought we were going to stiff the staff and slip out on paying the gratuities. All the staff that took care of us (except the purser ;) did deserve a tip and got one!

So regardless whether I pre-pay or tip in cash, I have to track down each of the various staff members to hand them their envelope?

the money for tips has already been charged, even if its prepaid, they will get it even if you dont hand them the voucher. I think the envelope just makes people feel better to hand it to someone.

the money for tips has already been charged, even if its prepaid, they will get it even if you dont hand them the voucher. I think the envelope just makes people feel better to hand it to someone.

Exactly! If you pre-pay the tips, you do NOT need to handthe voucher to the person in order for them to get paid. The vouchers are just something for you to hand to the person on the last day if you choose, for appearance sake (for example, if everyone else in your dining area is handing the waiter envelopes with cash, and you have nothing to hand him because you prepaid, it might "appear" to others that you are stiffing the waiter. However, the waiter and cabin steward get a list of who prepaid, so they know the truth!)

Exactly! If you pre-pay the tips, you do NOT need to handthe voucher to the person in order for them to get paid. The vouchers are just something for you to hand to the person on the last day if you choose, for appearance sake (for example, if everyone else in your dining area is handing the waiter envelopes with cash, and you have nothing to hand him because you prepaid, it might "appear" to others that you are stiffing the waiter. However, the waiter and cabin steward get a list of who prepaid, so they know the truth!)

Now, there is another wrinkle in this tipping thing. We are sailing on a ship with the any time dining option, which we chose. Choosing this option requires pre-paid grats for everyone. Obviously, the reason is that it is likely you will never get the same service personnel in the DR. So, I'm guessing it is pooled amongst the service staff, obviously no envelopes required.

Anyone familiar with how any time RCL dining works in this regard?

Now, there is another wrinkle in this tipping thing. We are sailing on a ship with the any time dining option, which we chose. Choosing this option requires pre-paid grats for everyone. Obviously, the reason is that it is likely you will never get the same service personnel in the DR. So, I'm guessing it is pooled amongst the service staff, obviously no envelopes required.

Anyone familiar with how any time RCL dining works in this regard?

I have not seen anyone post a definitive answer on this question, but it has come up from time to time, and it does make sense to pool dining room tips for those who choose this particular dining option.

It would be nearly impossible to selectively tip above and beyond to a particular waiter at the end of the week, and therefore, nothing is to be gained by not doing a simple pooling. I would suppose if you personally handed cash to a waiter on the night that service was rendered, that might stay with them alone, but I would still like to see someone post an official policy on how this is handled.

Theron

Archived