Portofino Vs Chops ??

If you have had dinner at both, which do you prefer and why ? I ask this because on my last Navigator cruise, the meal we had at Chops paled in comparison to the feast we enjoyed at Portofino. I had dined at Chops, on different ships, four times in the past, where the meals were always quite good. On my last cruise, we did Chops one night, then two nights later we gave Portofino a try. In my opinion, Portofino was much better, when we sail again in February, we will eat at Portofino twice and just skip Chops.

We had the opposite experience than you, although it was on two different ships. Our dinner in Portofino on the AOS was not great, mostly because of the waiter. Chops on the Freedom was wonderful! Everything was cooked to perfection and the Petite Filet Mignon was plentiful and delicious! Maybe because I thought the food was just so so in the DR on Freedom, I don't know, but I'm sure the experience is based on a lot of things, ships, waiters, etc. JMHO:)

I have always enjoyed the meals I have had in both restaurants but, if I had to pick only one, I would go with Chops. I am also the opposite of you in that the meals I have eaten in Chops have always been wonderful! I have noticed that from ship to ship things, especially food, can vary or perhaps you just hit them on an 'off night.'

Was just wondering which nights everyone seems to try these restaurants on? I know it's a matter of taste with the menu but just curious! ;)

It depends. Here's how we make our decision. When you get to your cabin, a copy of the daily Compass will be on your bed. On the back will be a listing, by day, of all of the highlights of the cruise, including formal nights. Based on that, and depending on the schedule of activities, we usually make our decision as to which night/s to dine in a specialty restaurant.

All too often the activities change from sailing-to-sailing, so we usually wait until we are on board to decide. ;)

My vote is for Portofino. I realize that in fine restaurants side orders are served family style, but that is not what I am looking for when we cruise. Chops does serve family style and Portofino plates the food.

I also believe the mascarpone mushroom pasta is to die for. The filet in Portofino can't be beat either. So, Portofino is for us.

If you have had dinner at both, which do you prefer and why ? I ask this because on my last Navigator cruise, the meal we had at Chops paled in comparison to the feast we enjoyed at Portofino. I had dined at Chops, on different ships, four times in the past, where the meals were always quite good. On my last cruise, we did Chops one night, then two nights later we gave Portofino a try. In my opinion, Portofino was much better, when we sail again in February, we will eat at Portofino twice and just skip Chops.

Ditto for DH and myself.

We also love Portofino. IMHO the ambiance cannot be beat and the food is always delicious. Chops id allright and I agree with the poster that said family stlye sides are not what I expect when fine dining. I'll stay home for family style. I am not much ofd a steak house person. I really like the "dressier" (for lack of a better word right now) atmosphere of Portofino. However, that is why Heinz makes 57 different varieties!!:)

Archived