Statendam-Dec. 6, 08

giraffenana

We have cruised many times, but this will be our first on HAL. I have the following questions:

1. Does the Statendam have a wrap-around Promenade deck where we can walk laps? (One of our favorite things to do.)

2. How likely are we to get a dining time assignment (early or late seating) if we are on a waiting list? We have cruised on NCL free style dining many times. How is AYW dining different? Can we just show up at the dining room when we want to eat?

3. Are there many different entertainment options on any given night? small duos, trios, sing-a-longs, etc. in addition to the entertainment in the theater.

4. What type of entertainment can we expect in the theater?

5. Does the Statendam offer movies shown in some venue?

6. Does the Statendam have laundry facilities? If so can we purchase laundry soap? Do you pay with coins or your ship card?

I guess that is it for now. I will probably have more questions before we sail.

Joy

Welcome to HAL. You might want to introduce yourself on the Roll Call list. There are a number of us on the same cruise.

We have cruised many times, but this will be our first on HAL. I have the following questions:

1. Does the Statendam have a wrap-around Promenade deck where we can walk laps? (One of our favorite things to do.)

2. How likely are we to get a dining time assignment (early or late seating) if we are on a waiting list? We have cruised on NCL free style dining many times. How is AYW dining different? Can we just show up at the dining room when we want to eat?

3. Are there many different entertainment options on any given night? small duos, trios, sing-a-longs, etc. in addition to the entertainment in the theater.

4. What type of entertainment can we expect in the theater?

5. Does the Statendam offer movies shown in some venue?

6. Does the Statendam have laundry facilities? If so can we purchase laundry soap? Do you pay with coins or your ship card?

Joy

1. Yes, but there are times that access to the front deck might be blocked off.

2. The assignment of a specific table and dining time depends on the cabin category you are in. Open seating allows someone to make reservations for certain times and you can even request certain tables. If you want to show up anytime, you can also make these requests or just go for first available.

3. Yes, but the selection of options depends on the time. Typically these options are after the first show.

4. A combo of "mini Broadway" along with solo performances such as magic, music and comedy.

5. Yes, there is a movie theater and the movies are also shown on channels in the cabin (after being screened in the theater).

6. Yes. The soap is complimentary. You (most likely) will pay with coins.

1. Does the Statendam have a wrap-around Promenade deck where we can walk laps? (One of our favorite things to do.) Yes - the Lower Promenade Deck you can walk all the way around -- the only times I have seen it blocked off is when they need to lower the lifeboats -- when you need to tender (HMC doesn't count as they have their own tenders).

2. How likely are we to get a dining time assignment (early or late seating) if we are on a waiting list? We have cruised on NCL free style dining many times. How is AYW dining different? Can we just show up at the dining room when we want to eat? This is hard to judge -- depends on when you booked the cruise -- noticed that you are on a waitlist -- you might be lucky and get traditional dining. There is no problem with you showing up on the lower level of the dining room for AYWD dining whatever time you wish to dine -- IF you are assigned to this venue.

3. Are there many different entertainment options on any given night? small duos, trios, sing-a-longs, etc. in addition to the entertainment in the theater. Lots of entertainment -- Piano Bar (sing-a-longs) -- the lounges with different groups -- the Crow's Nest -- music and late night Disco.

4. What type of entertainment can we expect in the theater?The Wajang Theatre not only has movies but it is also the Culinary Arts Center -- free cooking demonstrations as well as the Pay Cooking Classes are heldd here. Also -- sometimes if there is a lecturer on board they may use this area for their lectures (have had that happen a lot) or they will use the main show lounge.

5. Does the Statendam offer movies shown in some venue? There are movies on the TV's in the cabins as well as movies in the Wajang Theatre. Daily program will the movies and their times -- FREE POPCORN!!

6. Does the Statendam have laundry facilities? If so can we purchase laundry soap? Do you pay with coins or your ship card? Yes -- $2 for the washers and $1 for the dryers -- you can get the quarters at the front office. Laundry soap is provided by the ship -- eco friendly!! Just push the button on the machine. You may want to take along your own dryer sheets -- none provided.

Joy

Hope this helps.

Thanks Chuck & Krazi Kruizers for answering my questions so thoroughly. As it turns out, most of the answers were what I was hoping for. We are looking forward to the cruise. Can't believe in two months we will be on it. We usually book much farther in advance and it is such a long wait.

Joy

Just some additional information:

If you like open seating, as we do, it was handled very well on our Statendam voyage. You can show up whenever you wish and be seated very efficiently.

There are two (performance) shows each evening and we usually went to the early show and had dinner afterwards. Now, everyone at the show walks to dinner at the same time and a line builds ... however, the line moves very fast, and we were usually seated at a table within a couple of minutes.

The exception(s) were those who are particular ... need a two-top, window, etc. Those folks are provided with a pager and summoned when suitable tables become available. They have a system ... and it works.

Archived