Dining

cardfans

The reality of the situation is that even if they do prefer you to not switch back & forth between the options, switching after the first couple of days is not enforced. The staff just about give up checking 1/2 way through the cruise since it's to late to reassign people to the traditional slots that would be opened so why bother.

Of course!! Why bother?? :rolleyes:

Such a positive note.

As one who travels on Princess because of the Anytime Dining, I have to say that it is pretty clear. You must make a choice of one of the two options (Anytime or Traditional). Those that say you can just float on down to the Anytime Dining (for whatever reason .... don't like your table mates, didn't make your reservation, have an early shore excursion, etc.), you are wrong. Why would they check your cards if it was OK? Why would you need to make the switch with 24 hour notice to the Maitre D' if it was OK? One can grab bits of the rule book out of context and make it seem OK, but it is not.

I do not mean to sound snippy, but I really hate waiting on the stair steps dressed up for dinner behind a slew of Traditional diners (and I have heard them talking about how they decided to just come to the Anytime even though they had Traditional reservation). I would not mind if they had a "stand-by" line for Traditional diners that allowed them to be seated after all Anytime diners have been seated, but that is not how it seems to work.

As an Anytime diner, I have no other "main dining room" options. If it were OK to switch at a whim, why would anyone choose Anytime Dining? One could simply choose a Traditional Dining time and have the Anytime as a back-up.

Are you not distorting the choices? Those who are late should go to the buffet or use room service

Which is worse - going to an Anytime dining room for one night, or showing up late for an assigned seating time? I think those who wish to go to an Anytime dining room although booked in traditional dining room for a single evening should be free to do so. To be kind to those who have chosen Anytime, wait until a bit later in the evening after the early rush has died down, and tables are available.

Yes, those that are late or whatever and can't hit their traditional dining window should not be going to anytime. I've seen several people say anytime checks cards, but my recent experience has been that the dining room staff does not ck the id's before allowing people into anytime dining. They used to. Wish they would go back to that.

Be prepared, getting a table in anytime dining can be an issue. We've been on many Princess cruises. Anytime dining was fabulous in the beginning. Its a pain now. They advertise you can go to the dining room any time, but, based on our recent experiences, that is not true, so be prepared to wait. I think alot of that has to do with them no longer checking cards on who is assigned to anytime and who is not.

A couple examples which happened to me:

In our recent cruise, after having problems getting into anytime dining the 1st day, I resorted to reservations. They wouldn't allow us to make reservations until 8am each day and reservations could only be made for that day. I called right at 8am, was put on hold for quite some time, and then once the live person finally answered, was told all tables were taken until 8:15pm. This happened on more than one day.

We went to the dining room at 5:30 (when it opened) and were turned away until 8:15pm because we didn't have reservations. To be able to see the show, we had no choice but to go to the buffet. It was formal night. Do you think the buffet was serving lobster? No. So, Princess turns me away from Anytime dining and then won't serve me the same meal, which I paid for.

On a different nite when we couldn't get reservations, we went to the dining room at 6:15pm. As usual, the line for people with reservations was longer than the line of people without reservations trying to get in. How those people got the reservations is puzzling given the rules on reservations and the fact we called 1st thing that morning and couldn't get one.

Its not a matter of starvation. Its a matter of being able to do the other things you want to do on that cruise. If they won't let you in anytime dining until 8pm, you can't go see the 8-9pm entertainment. That was a part of my cruise purchase price, I ought to be able to go see it. You could wait for the really late entertainment at 11 to midnight, but when the ship is scheduling shore excursions for 6/7am the next day, its not a viable option.

I know there are people who believe anytime still works great. I can just tell you my recent experiences have been that it has deteriorated and sooner or later, it will be impacting everyone. Wish they'd just go back to "any time"/in other words no reservations & enforcing only those who are signed up for it are allowed in! It worked great back then. Now, its a frustrating wait/game & potential miss of other activities. No one needs that on their vacation.

(No flames please) When we were on the Crown last month we had traditional late seating. When we met some people we wanted to eat with, we all went to Anytime dining. These people were not our "traditional" seatmates, just some interesting others. No one asked where we were regularly eating, no one asked for our cards, we just waited a few minutes and were seated. We didn't put anyone out of their space. Our traditional tablemates did the same thing on another night. When we ordered wine at the anytime dining, no one questioned the cards.

So, it only seems to matter to some people who want 'their space' but Princess doesn't really care.

Just my opinion and experience.

Where is it written that you can't?

WRONG! When Princess says that you can eat anytime...

they are not talking about eating in the Anytime Dining room when you are assigned to Traditional.

This is where all the confusion comes in. They really mean that you can eat at alternative places anytime, excluding the "Anytime" Dining room.:confused:

It is a choice of either Traditional or Anytime dining room assignments. If you miss your Traditional time, you are not supposed to go to Anytime. :confused:You are supposed to go to the buffet or specialty restaurants.

Based on what some are suggesting, it would be perfectly alright,:rolleyes: as a group of 6 "anytime diners" when we show up at the Anytime Dining Room at 8:00pm and find a line up or waitlist, for us to turn around and head to the Tradition Dining Room, walk right in, and pick ourselves a table and wait to be served.....:rolleyes:

Is that what "Personal Choice" means?

I don't think your getting the whole thing here.

It's confession time.

Hello, my name is Twickenham, and I am a traditional/anytime dining flip-flopper.

I know, I know... the shame! But really, I must blame my parents. No really - I was cruising with them. Dad wanted traditional, mom wanted anytime, got confirmation for traditional so kept it... but first night screwed up our table assignment (had requested table for 3, placed at large table) so decided to try out one of the anytime dining rooms. Got table assignment straightened out, so went back to traditional... but then one night mom wanted to dine earlier (we had late seating), so again went anytime.

Now, before the dining room police pounce, I must point out that 1) this was on the Diamond Princess, with 4 anytime dining rooms, and 2) there was absolutely no lineup, nor was either dining room full during our dinner. If there had been a lineup, we would not have gone.

For what it's worth, I agree that people shouldn't constantly go between the 2 options. I'm just saying that yes, it's possible, in certain circumstances.

For Shame!!!!! ;-)

Sandytoes,

Right on your cruise card where it shows your dining assignment. You are assigned to either one or the other....NOT BOTH!!!!!

Can you do it...yes in many cases....but SHOULD you do it? NO.

The only thing stated is your dining preference.

The cruise card should also include the following -

If you miss your Traditional Dining Time you must either choice Buffet or Specialty Dining, under not circumstances are you allowed into the Anytime Dining....;)..:D

Sandytoes,

Right on your cruise card where it shows your dining assignment. You are assigned to either one or the other....NOT BOTH!!!!!

Can you do it...yes in many cases....but SHOULD you do it? NO.

Are you not distorting the choices? Those who are late should go to the buffet or use room service
What room service? If someone who can't or won't dress according to the requests can go to the dining room then why should anyone else be relegated to the buffet? There's no excuse to serve yourself, or settle for a croque monsieur" if a tour gets back late, or something else gets in the way of an early dining time.

We like to eat later, after 7:45, and whether it's traditional or anytime, there are (almost) always tables available.

OK, Let's end this thread.

Traditional is Traditional

Anytime is Anytime

If you chose Traditional, go there at your assigned time..................if not go to the buffet, pizza, burgers or order a sandwich from room service.

If you chose Anytime, go there at your leisure. If there is a wait, deal with it or do the same..........................buffet, pizza, burgers or order a sandwich.

Of course unless, you have scheduled a reservation at one of the fabulous specialty venues...............then go there and enjoy.

OK, Let's end this thread.

Traditional is Traditional

Anytime is Anytime

If you chose Traditional, go there at your assigned time..................if not go to the buffet, pizza, burgers or order a sandwich from room service.

If you chose Anytime, go there at your leisure. If there is a wait, deal with it or do the same..........................buffet, pizza, burgers or order a sandwich.

Of course unless, you have scheduled a reservation at one of the fabulous specialty venues...............then go there and enjoy.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. That is exactly how I feel too.

Marilyn

(No flames please) When we were on the Crown last month we had traditional late seating. When we met some people we wanted to eat with, we all went to Anytime dining. These people were not our "traditional" seatmates, just some interesting others. No one asked where we were regularly eating, no one asked for our cards, we just waited a few minutes and were seated. We didn't put anyone out of their space. Our traditional tablemates did the same thing on another night. When we ordered wine at the anytime dining, no one questioned the cards.

So, it only seems to matter to some people who want 'their space' but Princess doesn't really care.

Just my opinion and experience.

How do you know you didn't put anyone out of their space? You talk a lot about "their" space, but how would you like it if you came to dinner one night and at your table in Traditional were interlopers from Anytime?

I'm mystified why some people are continuing to insist that Traditional diners th have the right to dine in the anytime dining room(s). If you just think logically for a moment, you'd realize that such an operation essentially creates a class system, with Traditional Diners at the top of the hierarchy, permitted to eat in any dining room onboard with no restrictions, and then those assigned to Anytime relegated to a lower tier, allowed only to eat in the anytime dining room(s) but with the Traditional Dining Room off-limits. Does anyone seriously believe that is the intent of the system? Because if so, then those assigned to Traditional should be paying a higher cruise fare.

[quote name='rdsqrl']

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=indigo]I'm mystified why some people are continuing to insist that Traditional diners th have the right to dine in the anytime dining room(s). If you just think logically for a moment, you'd realize that such an operation essentially creates a class system, with Traditional Diners at the top of the hierarchy, permitted to eat in any dining room onboard with no restrictions, and then those assigned to Anytime relegated to a lower tier, allowed only to eat in the anytime dining room(s) but with the Traditional Dining Room off-limits. Does anyone seriously believe that is the intent of the system? Because if so, then those assigned to Traditional should be paying a higher cruise fare. [/COLOR][/FONT][/quote]

You make an interesting point.
However, I don't think Traditional is a higher tier, but the opposite.
Anytime is more & more acceptable, to the point where other cruise lines are now following suit.

Years ago, Traditional dining rooms were only available to dine in.
Now there's only one versus two for Anytime. Making Anytime a step above.

So, please don't give Princess any thoughts of charging for the use of Anytime, otherwise I'll have to switch to TD. :eek:..;)..:D

Archived