Zaandam Questions

Canuck-Ottawa

Sorry folks, but the Search function is down, so I'll just post my questions.

1. Is the Oasis pool (Sky Deck) still there and is it for everyone or just kids and teens? I'm finding conflicting information in the HAL brochures.

2. This applies to any HAL ship. Has anyone used an Apple IPod ITouch for their Wi-Fi connection? Is the HAL Wi-Fi system compatible? I was planning to use this for email, instead of a laptop. I realize that I still have to purchase the internet package on board, but this item is much easier to carry around. :D

I use it at home with my Linksys Wireless Router, but at the office, it won't work with a DLink wireless router. Does anyone know what system HAL uses (probably Cisco, which will be OK, as they own Linksys)?

Thanks in advance!

2. This applies to any HAL ship. Has anyone used an Apple IPod ITouch for their Wi-Fi connection? Is the HAL Wi-Fi system compatible?

I use it at home with my Linksys Wireless Router, but at the office, it won't work with a DLink wireless router. Does anyone know what system HAL uses (probably Cisco, which will be OK, as they own Linksys)?

The brand of router makes no difference. If it works at home it should work on the ship. Your office system must have some restrictions in place that prevent it from working there.

The brand of router makes no difference. If it works at home it should work on the ship. Your office system must have some restrictions in place that prevent it from working there.
I think I should qualify this a bit. The ship system requires 802.11b protocol, so if your Ipod Itouch is only 802.11g (not b/g) then it may not work on the ship.

But again, the brand of router makes no difference.

Thanks John!

The ITouch is b/g compatible, so it must be that router has restrictions in place. The guy, who installed it, was there when I went in this afternoon, but forgot the password that he used, so we couldn't see what he set up :mad: .

He "thinks" he may have the firewall set up on the DLink and may have set some weird restrictions because of the kind of wireless cards he installed in the office computers.

No matter...as long as my ITouch works on the ship! However, now that you tell me it's 802.11b, it's going to be so SLOOOOOOW!

Again, thank you.

Thanks John!

The ITouch is b/g compatible, so it must be that router has restrictions in place. The guy, who installed it, was there when I went in this afternoon, but forgot the password that he used, so we couldn't see what he set up :mad: .

He "thinks" he may have the firewall set up on the DLink and may have set some weird restrictions because of the kind of wireless cards he installed in the office computers.

No matter...as long as my ITouch works on the ship! However, now that you tell me it's 802.11b, it's going to be so SLOOOOOOW!

Again, thank you.

Actually, the fact that it is 802.11b doesn't really matter. The link from the ship to the sat is much slower so that link is the controlling factor. JT513 has tested it and finds the speed about the same as dial-up, or maybe a little better.

Rich

Archived