Advice for Punta Arenas: Magdalena Island or Otway Sound?

saddlebrooke

I absolutely LOVE going to Magdalena Island (been there twice). Penguins, penguins, penguins, plus the furthest southern lighthouse in world, co-owned by Chile and Argentina. And you are sooooo close-you are not supposed to touch the penguins but everyone does. You literally have to walk over them. Here are a few pictures.. MAKE SURE you take a warm hat, gloves, WINDPROOF jacket. It gets VERY windy there.

917123964_penguinspenguins.jpg.c61bc7553e9af0b078dbb8ee3faaa803.jpg

lighthouse-magdalena.jpg.1202d8be3ae06c06b2d6091f0fea55fa.jpg

215663953_ferrytoMagdalena.jpg.c4e52487a11632477eafa1f5bc81d6dd.jpg

1358089584_penguinwetouched.jpg.769da83cdf1059f897027b02f1433bf7.jpg

I absolutely LOVE going to Magdalena Island (been there twice). Penguins, penguins, penguins, plus the furthest southern lighthouse in world, co-owned by Chile and Argentina. And you are sooooo close-you are not supposed to touch the penguins but everyone does. You literally have to walk over them. Here are a few pictures.. MAKE SURE you take a warm hat, gloves, WINDPROOF jacket. It gets VERY windy there.

Thank you for your feedback. We wanted to go to the best place to see penguins but have heard some wild stories of the "terrible ride" there on a "rusty old boat" and back due to the weather. We are not that "picky" as long as we are safe. The bottom line is that we do not want to sign up for the Madgalena Island excursion to have it cancelled due to the weather when we could have gone to Otway Sound for sure.

Thanks also for the pictures. Can hardly wait for this trip.

Terry

I forgot to ask, what month did you go to the Island as I hear the penguins are there for just a few months. We will be there the first week of February.

Terry

When we were in Punta Arenas we took the shore excursion over to Otway Bay (about sixty to ninety minutes away) to see the Penguins. It was a magnificent day.

Keith

I hear that you have to walk about a mile to get there and back. Was that a problem. Our ship offers three tours there and wondered if there is any advantage to take an early tour over a late one?

Terry

Thank you for your feedback. We wanted to go to the best place to see penguins but have heard some wild stories of the "terrible ride" there on a "rusty old boat" and back due to the weather. We are not that "picky" as long as we are safe. The bottom line is that we do not want to sign up for the Madgalena Island excursion to have it cancelled due to the weather when we could have gone to Otway Sound for sure.

Thanks also for the pictures. Can hardly wait for this trip.

Terry

The boats are not new. It sure isn't a cruise ship. It is not "glitzy and fancy". But safe/pleasant. Definitely

Some of the barges/ferries have local music on board. Most have a good snack bar and on certain tours, hot chocolate and snacks are included in the price.

It COULD be a rough ride. But standing at the back deck, looking out at the scenery and realizing that you are further south then most of the world has ever been, is awe inspiring.

IF both tours are offered by the ship, book both. Then wait until the "weather announcement" is made. You can cancel ships tours at the last minute, so you have covered your bases. IF Magdalena Island is available, cancel Otway. The cruise line will have NO problem getting rid of your tickets. There is ALWAYS a waiting list.

I forgot to ask, what month did you go to the Island as I hear the penguins are there for just a few months. We will be there the first week of February.

Terry

The pictures were taken in February, 2002, 20th to be specific. The second trip was via Zodiac in early January and I didn't take a camera.

There were more penguins in January, but you should find about the same number in early February. They start leaving just about the time I was there in 2002. We watched large groups take off in February. They are mostly gone by the END of February. Some stragglers into March.

The pictures were taken in February, 2002, 20th to be specific. The second trip was via Zodiac in early January and I didn't take a camera.

There were more penguins in January, but you should find about the same number in early February. They start leaving just about the time I was there in 2002. We watched large groups take off in February. They are mostly gone by the END of February. Some stragglers into March.

Thanks for your input. Unfortunately we cannot book both the Magdalena Island and Otway Sound as the former takes a longer time and the last Otway tour is gone. That is our dilemma. Wonder if their are a lot of cancellations--like the Falklands.

Now I have one more port--Ushuasia. Do you have any recommendations there?

Terry

Thanks for your input. Unfortunately we cannot book both the Magdalena Island and Otway Sound as the former takes a longer time and the last Otway tour is gone. That is our dilemma. Wonder if their are a lot of cancellations--like the Falklands.

Now I have one more port--Ushuasia. Do you have any recommendations there?

Terry

You missed my point about booking both tours. I did not mean TAKE both tours, I only meant book both ship excursions. So the night before, IF the Magdalena tour is canceled due to weather, you have the Otway tour already booked. NO scrambling around trying to book something on the shore to see penguins. The cruise line would refund anyhow if the Magdalena Island tour is canceled due to weather, so no problem there. AND there is always a waiting list for Otway tours. Someone is just WAITING for you to cancel.

You missed my point about booking both tours. I did not mean TAKE both tours, I only meant book both ship excursions. So the night before, IF the Magdalena tour is canceled due to weather, you have the Otway tour already booked. NO scrambling around trying to book something on the shore to see penguins. The cruise line would refund anyhow if the Magdalena Island tour is canceled due to weather, so no problem there. AND there is always a waiting list for Otway tours. Someone is just WAITING for you to cancel.

I got your point and did schedule both tours. Thank you. But our cruise line has the policy that you must cancel at least 48 hours before to get your money back for the tour cancelled. If the cruise line cancels the tour there is no problem getting the money refunded. So I will have to cancel one right when I get on the ship as the second port is Punta Arenas.

Thanks for your help.

Terry

Speak to the Purser or the Navigator. Someone in operations will know EXACTLY what the weather forecast is supposed to be. Sure, a storm can blow in at any time or the ferry could break down at the last minute. But I personally would search out someone on the ship (NOT the cruise director) who has contact with operations or the bridge and get their feel for the situation. Then you have to make a "best guess" scenario. If you choose Magdalena Island and for some reason you can't go and you canceled Otway, round up a group of cruisers and find a taxi. You won't be the only one in the situation.

Which cruise line do you normally cruise with? On HAL you would not get your money back if you canceled the day before. All of their tours are pre-paid and even within 10 days prior to the cruise there is a 10% cancellation fee (other special tours such as helicopter would normally not get any refund at this point).

Which cruise line do you normally cruise with? On HAL you would not get your money back if you canceled the day before. All of their tours are pre-paid and even within 10 days prior to the cruise there is a 10% cancellation fee (other special tours such as helicopter would normally not get any refund at this point).

That's a real rip if you get charged a cancellation fee BEFORE the cruise. I have been on the Prinsendam, but that is the only HAL cruise. X allows cancellation up to 48 hours. IF there is a waiting list, you can really cancel 24 hours pre tour with no penalty. And there is ALWAYS a waiting list for the penguin tours on X. I would assume it is the same for most cruise lines. Lots of Europeans and quite a few South Americans on the South American cruises. Those countries are not into pre booking tours as we Americans are. So they wait until they are on the ship. There are disappointed faces when the tours leave.

We are cruising with Princess.

Terry

• 3 weeks later...

I was one of the ones last year who had Magdalena cancelled due to the ferry going into dry dock at the last minute. I found it extremely easy to get a taxi out to Otway from the cruise tender building. The taxi was less expensive and gave me far more time than booking through the cruise line. So if you're so inclined, book Magdalena, and if it's cancelled, just do Otway on your own.

Also, depending on your time in port, you may get back from Magdalena in time to still catch a taxi out to Otway as well, even if the cruise line excursions don't go that late. In fact, going AFTER the cruise line passengers leave could be a good thing for fewer people.

• 2 weeks later...

Amber,

Did you enjoy one more than the other? I want lots of penguins. Close up, not far away or through a peephole. I want to walk right next to them and not need a zoom lens to get great pictures. Also, are they in opposite directions? Or could yougo from one to the other by taxi? Thanks, Karen

I heard that there is a barrier on the one to Otway Sound so I think you are not allowed to walk among the penguins. We are going on the NCL Sun in a couple of weeks and are booked for Puerta Madryn and the Falkland Islands and also Magdalena Island also. I want to make sure we at least get close up. Sometimes the cruise ships don't get to make the port in the Falklands due to bad weather so we are going for the first stop in Puerta Madryn where there are hundreds of penguins. It is a 2 1/2 hr ride each way but I will take that over maybe rough seas on an old ferry where I might get sea sick. Hopefully we all have good weather and you can get to see your penguins. Good Luck.:)

Amber,

Did you enjoy one more than the other? I want lots of penguins. Close up, not far away or through a peephole. I want to walk right next to them and not need a zoom lens to get great pictures. Also, are they in opposite directions? Or could yougo from one to the other by taxi? Thanks, Karen

Karen, I've not yet been to Magdalena, but am looking forward to it in January. Due to an unscheduled dry dock of the ferry, wasn't able to go as planned last year, so went to Otway instead. I really enjoyed Otway. You do have to stay on the walkway, but the penguins come quite close, especially in certain areas. Some are bolder than others, and noise and movement does scare some. It's amazing how they exhibit different personalities.

Some will be close enough that even a compact digital with 4x zoom will capture a good portrait, others will be more distant. If you go by taxi, spend more than the standard hour on the paths and you'll get some nice close shots.

Magdalena is an island, accessible only by boat, Otway Bay is accessible from Punta Arenas by road, about an hour each direction.

I heard that there is a barrier on the one to Otway Sound so I think you are not allowed to walk among the penguins. We are going on the NCL Sun in a couple of weeks and are booked for Puerta Madryn and the Falkland Islands and also Magdalena Island also. I want to make sure we at least get close up. Sometimes the cruise ships don't get to make the port in the Falklands due to bad weather so we are going for the first stop in Puerta Madryn where there are hundreds of penguins. It is a 2 1/2 hr ride each way but I will take that over maybe rough seas on an old ferry where I might get sea sick. Hopefully we all have good weather and you can get to see your penguins. Good Luck.:)

Do know that there are different types of penguins in the Falklands that you won't see in Punta Arenas or Puerta Madryn. The primary penguins in Punta Arenas and Puerta Madryn are the Magellanic, while the Falklands has several different species including King, Gentoo, Magellanic, and Rockhoppers.

Karen, I've not yet been to Magdalena, but am looking forward to it in January. Due to an unscheduled dry dock of the ferry, wasn't able to go as planned last year, so went to Otway instead. I really enjoyed Otway. You do have to stay on the walkway, but the penguins come quite close, especially in certain areas. Some are bolder than others, and noise and movement does scare some. It's amazing how they exhibit different personalities.

Some will be close enough that even a compact digital with 4x zoom will capture a good portrait, others will be more distant. If you go by taxi, spend more than the standard hour on the paths and you'll get some nice close shots.

Magdalena is an island, accessible only by boat, Otway Bay is accessible from Punta Arenas by road, about an hour each direction.

Do know that there are different types of penguins in the Falklands that you won't see in Punta Arenas or Puerta Madryn. The primary penguins in Punta Arenas and Puerta Madryn are the Magellanic, while the Falklands has several different species including King, Gentoo, Magellanic, and Rockhoppers.

That is why we booked the 3 different penguin excursions. I plan on going on the one at Punta Arenas to see the Magallanic and then if we get into port at the Falklands to see the Rockhoppers. If we make both those ports then I will cancel the third in Muerta Madryn since they are the same penguins as the first port in Punta Arenas. :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...
A couple of questions. How long does it take to get off of the ship in Punta Arenas? Also, we are interested in doing the Magellan Strait Kayak; has anyone done this tour?

I am interested in kayaking the Magellan. Did you do this? Was it worth the money?

Dianne

I just got back from our Celebrity cruise to SA and it was amazing. We saw the Magallenic penguins in three ports and the best, by far was Puerto Madryn. The moms and babies walk all over and are not afraid of people. They are everywhere and will walk right up to you and look up at you, tilting their heads as they try to understand what you are saying. It was so cool. One problem a fellow guest had was they did not have much time at the penguins. We took a private tour and had 1 1/2 hours. I could have stayed for hours if I could. Walk quickly to the end, and work you way back. The best is at the end. And bring lots of memory cards and batteries. You will want to film every penguin you see.

If you don't see them there, or want more, take the $20.00 trip to see them in the Falklands. They are the same penguins, but a different environment. You are on top of a hill, looking down at them playing in the water. You will see a few from the top of the hill too, but nothing like the millions at Puerto Madryn. The bus ride can be purchased right at the pier. If you need a snack, go in the grocery store and go to the back where they have a snack bar. We had great sanwiches and coffee for a great price.

Then, if you still need more, you can hire a taxi to take you to Otway Sound. Again, fewer penguins, but a different point of view. This was my least favorite trip. The taxi is very small and four people squeezed in it for 1 1/2 hours over dirt roads was not the most fun. However, we saw sheep running up the road at us, condors flying on top of the mines, and had a taxi driver that spoke great English (Jose Martin). For $110.00, 4 of us had a private guide. He even showed us the beautiful homes in town and his own home and the dog Angie that lives next door. If you choose to do this port by taxi, ask the lady at the exit to the port to find you someone who speaks English and talk to him before you leave. The first one she hooked us up with said he spoke English but couldn't say two words. She is the person who arranges all the taxis when you leave the building. One couple from our group waited until later, and found a driver for $40.00. It is something to think about.

Enjoy. Karen

Archived