Help Again - Grand or Caribbean Princes

ILOVEMEXICO

Thought we were all set to book on the Grand Princess from Ft Lauderdale today and found another cruise on the Caribbean Princess from San Juan - doesn't matter which to us but would appreciate any recommendations as I don't know either of these ships - anyone been on both - which did you prefer?? I received good comments about the Grand on an earlier post but travel agent indicated sailing out of San Juan would be better so now am confused with not alot of time to decide.

Thanks again...............

Thought we were all set to book on the Grand Princess from Ft Lauderdale today and found another cruise on the Caribbean Princess from San Juan - doesn't matter which to us but would appreciate any recommendations as I don't know either of these ships - anyone been on both - which did you prefer?? I received good comments about the Grand on an earlier post but travel agent indicated sailing out of San Juan would be better so now am confused with not alot of time to decide.

Thanks again...............

I haven't sailed on both, but the Caribbean Princess in going into drydock in January, and will be nearly identical to the Grand after the drydock. She is going to be retrofitted to have the same features as the other Grand class ships, such as the Grand.

The Caribbean Princess is the newer of the two ships. The diff between the two is an extra deck of cabins (Riviera Deck). When the carib. goes into drydock it will receive amenities now on the Crown,Emerald,and Ruby.Crown Grill steak&seafood Restaurant, Sanctuary,intl Cafe, Vines Wine Bar,etc.The Grand does not have these features! Leaving fron Ft. Laurderdale will do a Eastern or Western carib. cruise. Leaving from San Juan will do a Southern Carib.run. So you really should check out the the islands each goes to and base your decision on that.

I would also think that your first consideration be which islands you'd prefer. We have sailed on both ships within the last ten months. They are both fine ships and more alike than different. That said, we slightly preferred the Grand. This was because the Caribbean has one more deck which means there are 500 more passengers but the same amount of public space. It did seem a little more crowded especially in the theater and dining areas.

WE have been on CB twice ...loved it both times particularly the Caribe deck balcony -half covered half uncovered .Breakfast on Balcony every day .seabreezes ,quiet reading ,lounge chairs the beautiful ocean sunrises sunsets

FABULOUS!!!

Will be doing Grand -Caribe deck again -this winter I'm sure it will be great .

Islands in Southern Carib REALLY nice that is why I chose 2 week cruise on Grand ..but if you only have 1 week fly to SJU and get a ship from there

Do not miss Curacao or Aruba and loved St Kitts Tortola and Virgin Gorda the Baths a MUST

All islands are great but these are my favorites

Michele

We've sailed the both the Grand and Caribbean several times. I would choose based on the itinerary....we enjoy both ships, and the itinerary would decide it for us.

For only sentimental reasons, we would give a slight edge to the Grand as we were married on her.....and enjoy being aboard for the great memories.

Have been on CB twice and Grand once. I prefer Caribbean.

While it does have an extra deck of cabins, I never noticed any more crowds. In fact, I thought the Grand was more crowded in the buffet because of the lack of Cafe Caribe.

Also liked the cabin closet arrangment much better on CB. Bigger closet, sort of a separate dressing area.

Did not like the location of Muts on the Grand. With one pool enclosed it had to go into the other main deck pool. So that pool had both MUTS going on plus pool games and such and families with the kids. It was always overcrowded while the solarium pool was empty. Course if you want a covered pool, then go with Grand.

You didn't mention kids but my daughter (teen) didn't like the Grand's teen center at all. VERY small and really an afterthought.

But I will say, that the crew, cabin stewards, wait staff on both were top notch and aside from personal preferances, feel both ships are great.

I have been on the Grand, Golden, Crown (the best) and I am booked on the Caribbean in Dec. I can't answer for the Caribbean yet but the Grand was my least favorite. I felt that the ship was more difficult to get around due to the midship stairs being for crew only on certain floors. I know it isn't that big of deal but I also agree with the post above about the pool w/ MUTS, it did seem crowded. I would make my decision based on the itinerary. I love the southern caribbean but flying to San Juan can be expensive, but I feel the islands in the south are worth it.

We have been on both, and loved them both. As others have said, I would book based upon itinerary, not ship. I do like the fact that the Caribbean is newer and is more fancily (is that a word) decorated, but the Grand does have less passengers, and that is nice too, although I never felt crowded on either one. Make your choice and enjoy!

Mike

I loved Caribbean and we went with 50 in our group and not one of us was unhappy. Never felt crowded and we loved our cabin on the Lido deck, it was so close to the pool, it was great.

We have been on both, and loved them both. As others have said, I would book based upon itinerary, not ship. I do like the fact that the Caribbean is newer and is more fancily (is that a word) decorated, but the Grand does have less passengers, and that is nice too, although I never felt crowded on either one. Make your choice and enjoy!

Mike

I'm taking the Southern caribbean itinerary on the CB in March 09. I agree with previous posters that it is the itinerary that should decide it for you, but be aware, it seems to cost a lot more to fly to San Juan than Ft. Lauderdale (at least for us Canadians).

So I would price the air before deciding on which cruise.

We've been on both, and prefer Grand Princess. The crew/passenger ratio is better on Grand Princess, and it shows in some areas. I agree with a previous comment that the addition of MUTS to Grand Princess was not a good idea since it is an add-on, not designed into the structure as it is on Caribbean. Grand Princess has a covered pool area, CB does not.

Thanks for your help - we are booked for two weeks on the Grand (Caribe 226) from Ft Lauderdale in Feb icon7.gif Caribbean Collection Cruise - more islands on this one that we have not been to.

Michele - my travel agent said that whoever she talked to at Princess indicated the caribe deck was full covered - I thought they were all partially covered - can't find anything in the brochure or on line indicating they are half and half - if half covered and half exposed I presume we would get loungers as well - do you know.

Thanks again for everyone's recommendations

Caribe deck balcony's are about the largest short of suites. They are 1/2 covered, 1/2 uncovered. There will be a table, two regular chairs and two chairs with reclining backs--not full size loungers.

Enjoy your trip! Sounds wonderful.

Archived