help please!!!!

We are sailing november 14 vos to med. and one overnight in barcelon, 3 couples and each one has a hotel in mind, i would like to konow the prices for the taxi rides: airport to pier

pier to a hotel at las ramblas or downtown bcn

To decide to stay at airport hotel or downtown hotel like hotel regina.

Please help and we're on a budge at least my dh and i, and the airport hotel is free...

Ana:confused:

http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/hotels/hotelmaps/ramblas-hotel-barcelona.html

Check out this site for reasonable hotels near Las Ramblas. You can take an airport bus right to the central city a block or 2 from Las Ramblas. Some of the hotels are only a couple blocks from the bus area. Will save money. A cab from your hotel to the port, which is on the southern end of Las Ramblas, is about 20$-25, depending on where you stay.

I wouldn't stay at the airport hotels. The fun is in the city.

I am staying at the Renaissance Hotel by the airport. (also free) They have a free shuttle from the airport to the hotel. They told me a taxi to the pier will be about 35 Euros. They also have a shuttle for 10 Euros per person.

We are on a Western Med. cruise this October and will be spending two nights pre-cruise in Barcelona. We booked a balcony room at the Hotel Continental (112 Euros/ night). This price includes an all day buffet (have not been there, so I can't describe it). It is in the central area, right off Plaza de Catalunya, so you might want to look into that. I don't know about the taxi fares, but would it be possible to walk to the port with just a suitcase with wheels? Has anyone done this?

Thanks for responding.

Ursula

You could send an email directly to Hotel Regina and see what type of rate you could get in November. They are very prompt with their replies. We booked there for two nights next summer based on reviews from these forums as well as Trip Advisor (paying 140 E per night in August including breakfast each day for two of us).

Kathy:)

:confused: Hi Ursula, my dh asked the same thing, we'll be happy to know if we can walk from the port to like plaza catalunya,we are planning on not so much bagagge, at least i am, but being winter and all ...

Ana

Okay, two suggestions. On hotels, I recommend using priceline and putting in Las Ramblas area, then the star category you want--other posters have gotten great deals this way.

And no, you cannot walk from Las Ramblas to the port! However, you can, if you choose, wheel your suitcase all the way down to the Columbus monument and then buy a ticket on the shuttle bus which will take you right to your ship. Can't remember the exact cost but 1-3 euros range. But the bus is not set up for luggage as I recall, so you may have some issues there. Here is a link to more info: http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/transport/barcelona-cruise-port.html.

Oh, one other tip. You can take an airport shuttle to Placa Catalunya, right at the top of Las Ramblas, for way less than a taxi. Then if your hotel is nearby you can just walk, or take the metro or a taxi from there. It runs about every 15 minutes most of the day--called Aerobus and here is the link: http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/airport/barcelona-airport-transport.html#aerobus

Good luck and happy cruising.

Cathy

As I have indicated elsewhere we live in Spain and positioned to Barcelona for our first cruise by rail. We used the Barcelo Sants hotel in the station complex. It is a modern business style hotel, helpful staff who will secure your bags after yo have checked out.

It is a comfortable decent place to stay, on the metro and with a continuous flow of taxis at all hours. We stayed both pre and post cruise at a cost of €130 and €150 including breakfast, although we upgraded to a suite on the first night for circa €30. The breakfast was ok, but just like every business hotel - is there a worldwide scrambled egg and sausage pipeline network? I think we should be told.

The taxi fare to the port was about €15, but mysteriously only about €9 on the way back.

Barcelona Sants is the railhead for the airport, if I had suffered a long east west red eye flight with just a single overnight before the cruise I would consider it a good option; For longer stays I would look further afield into the tourist areas.

Have a good trip

NS

We stayed at the NH Numancia (sp) just a block up from the Barcelo Sants and the railway station. We took the train from the station directly to the the airport on our return. THis is a business hotel so we got a very good rate for a Friday and Saturday night stay. We we going to Monserat on one of the days so we did not care about not staying near Las Ramblas. Prior to that we did stay at a hotel at the top of Los Ramblas. It this is your first time in Barcelona, I would go with a Los Ramblas hotel even if you have to settle for a lesser property. This is the place to be.

We stayed at the hotel continental two years ago and are staying again at the end of our cruis--29 November. The hotel is at the top of the Ramblas, near placa Catalunya. We walked with luggage to the statue of Chris Colon, aka Columbus, and from there, you can catch the port bus (2 euros?) to each terminal in the port.

We are sailing november 14 vos to med. and one overnight in barcelon, 3 couples and each one has a hotel in mind, i would like to konow the prices for the taxi rides: airport to pier

pier to a hotel at las ramblas or downtown bcn

To decide to stay at airport hotel or downtown hotel like hotel regina.

Please help and we're on a budge at least my dh and i, and the airport hotel is free...

Ana:confused:

Port to Los Ramblas was ~ 25 Euros, there is a surcharge for luggage so YMMV.

From Las Ramblas to airport worked out to be about 30-35 Euros for 4-5 people and our luggage. Again even though each taxi had a meter, after luggage we found that our 3 cars had slightly different charges.

We just got back yesterday, so I'll give my two cents on this:

I would not stay by the airport, it's too far from everything. La Rambla is very close to the port, however NOT walking distance & certainly not dragging luggage. We stayed at the Silken Diagonal. It was very nice, but in hindsight a little too far from all of the sites. I now know why everyone wants to be on La Rambla. I didn't think I would want to be, but now I think it would have been much better. We took the metro everywhere with no problems, but if you were on La Rambla you could walk to shops & restaurants. We stayed at the Hotel Continental for one night after the cruise, but I had booked the one off Placa Catalunya. The sister hotel is right ON La Rambla and if I had it to do over I would have booked that one instead. On that note: The Hotel Continental was - ok. It was kind of strange. Older. Pretty lobby area, but the rooms were kind of funky (still not sure what that second toilet was for-pretty sure it wasn't a bidet(?)) I'm a pretty adventurous eater, but that buffet has some wierd food. There was some fruit & candy and the free wine, beer & espresso machine was pretty cool. I think it was ok for one night.

On taxis: We paid 11E from the Diagonal to the pier, which is much farther than the main area around La Rambla, however I'm pretty sure the driver didn't charge us for our luggage. I'm sure a taxi to/from La Rambla to the pier couldn't be more that about 5E plus luggage. I think about another 5E more? I think the highest taxi fare we paid was from the Hotel Continental to the airport & that was 16E. The taxi's were all very reasonable.

We just got back yesterday, so I'll give my two cents on this:

I would not stay by the airport, it's too far from everything. La Rambla is very close to the port, however NOT walking distance & certainly not dragging luggage. We stayed at the Silken Diagonal. It was very nice, but in hindsight a little too far from all of the sites. I now know why everyone wants to be on La Rambla. I didn't think I would want to be, but now I think it would have been much better. We took the metro everywhere with no problems, but if you were on La Rambla you could walk to shops & restaurants. We stayed at the Hotel Continental for one night after the cruise, but I had booked the one off Placa Catalunya. The sister hotel is right ON La Rambla and if I had it to do over I would have booked that one instead. On that note: The Hotel Continental was - ok. It was kind of strange. Older. Pretty lobby area, but the rooms were kind of funky (still not sure what that second toilet was for-pretty sure it wasn't a bidet(?)) I'm a pretty adventurous eater, but that buffet has some wierd food. There was some fruit & candy and the free wine, beer & espresso machine was pretty cool. I think it was ok for one night.

On taxis: We paid 11E from the Diagonal to the pier, which is much farther than the main area around La Rambla, however I'm pretty sure the driver didn't charge us for our luggage. I'm sure a taxi to/from La Rambla to the pier couldn't be more that about 5E plus luggage. I think about another 5E more? I think the highest taxi fare we paid was from the Hotel Continental to the airport & that was 16E. The taxi's were all very reasonable.

We have booked the Hotel Regina for next summer, I believe it is off of Placa Catalunya (there is a Starbucks next to it in a photo I saw in case you saw it). Would you say that it is too far from La Rambla? Thanks for the info on the taxi prices after the shock of taxi/limo costs from the airport/hotel/port in Rome last year, Barcelona is obviously better situated between airport and port.

Kathy

Kathy, the Hotel Regina is in a great location. We stayed next door at Hotel Pulitzer. At the end of the block is Placa de Catalunya. This is a BIG plaza with cafes , taxi stand, entrance to Metro and the street La Ramlas ends or beigns there depending on your direction. From this location we walked the Barri Gottic area on Sat morning,walked to the Cathedral for Mass on Sunday and walked all the way to Santa Maria Del Mar in the afternoon. This was a long walk. The taxi to the port was 8Euros and taxi to Mont Juric was 9 Euros. It is cheaper than Rome. Have a great time.

We have booked the Hotel Regina for next summer, I believe it is off of Placa Catalunya (there is a Starbucks next to it in a photo I saw in case you saw it). Would you say that it is too far from La Rambla? Thanks for the info on the taxi prices after the shock of taxi/limo costs from the airport/hotel/port in Rome last year, Barcelona is obviously better situated between airport and port.

Kathy

I agree with Azulann. It's not far at all. Totally walkable to La Rambla. When we stayed at the Diagonal it was quite far, so we had to take the Metro to get to La Rambla. You should be fine. :)

Archived