Princess Cays anyone??

jane02

The Bungalows come w/ priortiy disembarking to get to the island. Quite frankly this was worth the extra $199 rather than muster in the theater and depart in groups. There is a golf cart that will drive you from the dock on arrival all the way to your bungalows. The Pricess staff from the ship is there to take your drink orders and explain the lunch menu to you. The staff is very attentive to the Bungalow visitors. Fresh ice water is in the bungablow, along with plates utensils. The bungalow is air conditioned and has a ceiling fan. This is a great plus to get out of the sun for short periods of time. It get's pretty hot laying on the beach and the bungalow offered a great break from the heat. We had no problem with bugs in May but I have heard that after rain there are a number of insects. There was insect spray in the bungalows.

The beach areas near the bungalows is not at all crowded, plenty of room to relax. The main beach area somewhat crowded, it's nice to have some quiet time on the beach.

We brought an IPOD and speakers to enjoy some tropical music and spend the day reading and swimming. Lunch was great served right on time, we opted to have a little bit of everything and were overwhelmed with the portions. We were able to take the golf cart back at the end of the day and were the last tender off the island thus maximizing our time at the beach. The bungalow also has an outdoor shower which is really a nice treat at the end of the day. We were able to shower and change in the privacy of the bunaglow and arrive back on the ship ready to go. Its a complete spurge and you'll enjoy the island with out it...IMHO It's worth it especially to maximize your time on the island and a great way to start or wrap up your vacation. It was a really great day.

http://community.webshots.com/album/563460051jUJFHt

I really fancy having a bungalow, is it best to book just now through princess or wait till on the ship and book then ?

jenni x

Do you bring a towel from the ship? How does one handle belongings, do one of you go into the water while the other one stays with belongings. Not talking diamonds here but had thought about bringing an mp3 player to listen to. If no lounge chairs, is there enough room to lay your towel down or lay on top of your float? We have pre-reserved one.

I really fancy having a bungalow, is it best to book just now through princess or wait till on the ship and book then ?

jenni x

book them thru princess..there is only a few of them, and they are in high demand. They get booked very quickly.

jenni x

If you go to the princess site, I am betting the bungalow's are already gone. They are for our 10/31/08 cruise.

Do you bring a towel from the ship? How does one handle belongings, do one of you go into the water while the other one stays with belongings. Not talking diamonds here but had thought about bringing an mp3 player to listen to. If no lounge chairs, is there enough room to lay your towel down or lay on top of your float? We have pre-reserved one.

bring your towel from the ship.....

There are no safety deposit boxes there...anything of value, I wear in a waterproof pouch.

There always seems to be lounge chairs available.

You'll have to bring a towel from the ship which the room steward will give you. Although we've never had anything stolen, we don't take anything of real value either, other than a few dollars if you want to buy anything in the vendor shops.

There have always been plenty of chairs available although the crowd seems to want to stay congregated closer to where the tenders drop you off. If you walk down the beach a short ways you'll always find a seat somewhere. They've also added some pavilions to provide additional shaded areas in the past few years but there's plenty of shade in & among the trees.

What time do the tenders start from the ship and can you book a time? Is there shade whilst waiting for the return tender.

The tenders begin about 1/2 hour within arrival time but unless you've booked a suite or bungalow on shore you'll have to get tender boarding tickets which assign you to a tender schedule.

There isn't much in the way of shade waiting for a return tender but the return tender lines don't really get long until much after lunch. If you had a real problem waiting in the sun I'm sure people would let you sit in the shade until the line began to move.

Thanks to those who answered my question. I never thought about them blocking the breeze. I plan to spend most of the time in the ocean.

Yes, the breeze is blocked, and it gets really hot inside. The attendant rested the back of the clamshell on the very edge of our loungers which kept it a foot off the ground. That helped a bit.:o

Clamshells are wonderful! If it is too hot, you must be facing the wrong direction. Mine was delightfully breezy and kept me from getting too much sun. I found most of the shady spots on the beach were quickly taken so was glad to have reserved my own shade.

Hi,

So glad to hear that some people actually get there, LOL! I have been on 2 previous Princess cruises and could not go to Cays because the weather was too rough for the tenders. This year we are doing a Princess cruise that doesn't have the Cays on the itinerery; given my previous experience I am glad about this. Have a great cruise!

Laurie

Clamshells are wonderful! If it is too hot, you must be facing the wrong direction. Mine was delightfully breezy and kept me from getting too much sun. I found most of the shady spots on the beach were quickly taken so was glad to have reserved my own shade.

I don't know what time you arrived at the island but although we usually get there early and I've never noticed that there weren't any spots somewhere in the shade. It's true that the ares where the tenders land is most crowded but if you walk down the beach a short ways you can always fine a shady spot.

We have been thier twice, both times we booked a bungalow. The first time we were wait listed, the second time we booked it as soon as we paid for the cruise, it is well worth the money.

It has 2 loungers in the patio area with a few more parked right outside.

Hi,

So glad to hear that some people actually get there, LOL! I have been on 2 previous Princess cruises and could not go to Cays because the weather was too rough for the tenders. This year we are doing a Princess cruise that doesn't have the Cays on the itinerery; given my previous experience I am glad about this. Have a great cruise!

Laurie

I have not heard of it being canceled in awhile.

I remember that at one maybe 1 or 2 years ago almost every other cruise could not get in because of all the storms. :)

Thanks for all that info. I am glad we have reserved a bungalow.

JerseyGuys - can you tell me how many sunlounges you had per bungalow? We have five in our party.

Thanks

Our bungalow came with 6 sunloungers...towels are also supplied with the cabins..one less thing to lug to the beach

Is there opportunity to wander off and explore - maybe another snorkel beach - or a bar?

Or are we confined to the "Princess" area?

sure, you can wander off......there is no other bar, or much of anything else except deserted beach areas

The Bungalows come w/ priortiy disembarking to get to the island. Quite frankly this was worth the extra $199 rather than muster in the theater and depart in groups. There is a golf cart that will drive you from the dock on arrival all the way to your bungalows. The Pricess staff from the ship is there to take your drink orders and explain the lunch menu to you. The staff is very attentive to the Bungalow visitors. Fresh ice water is in the bungablow, along with plates utensils. The bungalow is air conditioned and has a ceiling fan. This is a great plus to get out of the sun for short periods of time. It get's pretty hot laying on the beach and the bungalow offered a great break from the heat. We had no problem with bugs in May but I have heard that after rain there are a number of insects. There was insect spray in the bungalows.

The beach areas near the bungalows is not at all crowded, plenty of room to relax. The main beach area somewhat crowded, it's nice to have some quiet time on the beach.

We brought an IPOD and speakers to enjoy some tropical music and spend the day reading and swimming. Lunch was great served right on time, we opted to have a little bit of everything and were overwhelmed with the portions. We were able to take the golf cart back at the end of the day and were the last tender off the island thus maximizing our time at the beach. The bungalow also has an outdoor shower which is really a nice treat at the end of the day. We were able to shower and change in the privacy of the bunaglow and arrive back on the ship ready to go. Its a complete spurge and you'll enjoy the island with out it...IMHO It's worth it especially to maximize your time on the island and a great way to start or wrap up your vacation. It was a really great day.

http://community.webshots.com/album/563460051jUJFHt

Thank you so much for the beautiful photos and the information. Too bad it is too late to rent one for us. They are all booked up. We will be going there at the end of the month.

If sitting on the beach starts to get a bit boring, walk to the east about a mile and discover the site of the great Princess Cays mystery!

1224018546.jpg

1224018633.jpg

What is the mystery? Are these graves? My friend that I am traveling with always seeks out the cemetery's where ever she travels. Looks interesting.

Archived