Favorite/Least Favorite Ports

DG2004

Favorites: St Thomas/St John for snorkeling, Barbados for beaches, Dominica (called the greenest island in the Caribbean, at least by the locals :cool: ) for Middleham Falls.

Least Favorites: Ocho Rios: I realize tourism is HUGE for their economy, but you have to very rude to get away from the peddlers, and I hate to be rude. Especially if I'm on vacation!

Ensenada: I couldn't wait to get back on-board!! I don't know why it's even a port of call...

A lot of my faves / not faves have to do with individual experiences with tours (some ship / some private)

Favorites:

• Roatan - did zip line here - fantastic...snorkeling is Awesome - yes with a capital "A" - very undeveloped island, but lots of potential - may want to retire there one day
  • Cayman - jet skis to stingray city awesome (did several boat tours in the past - did not compare to making the trip via jetski...but I am a speed junkie)
  • Costa Maya - very laid back beach experience - awesome vendors, awesome food...venture off from the main terminal to experience...
  • Belize - private horseback riding tours are awesome, have done cave-tubing as well, enjoyed immensely, but understand the safety concerns
  • Playa del Carmen - take a private tour to the Cenotes for a once in a lifetime experience - we actually had a port stop in Cozumel, but took the ferry to Playa del Carmen, then a 1.5 hr bus ride to the Cenotes...worth every penny & minute to snorkel through the Cenotes
  • Anywhere but my workplace (yes, this does include my Least Favorites below...I love what I do, but I'm not insane...any day/place on vacation is a day not at "work".:) )

Least Favorites:

• Freeport - not a lot to do - a bike tour of the island pretty much covers it all
  • Jamaica - overly aggressive islanders - ventured out of the port area and felt accosted. Had done a zip-line tour which was great, but venturing into town, were physically dragged into sales stalls and a "you owe me" attitude was projected by many who just assured us we were on the right road to the market.

okay here are my favorites and less favorites. I have been on 5 cruise so these are what i have. I might change them soon as i go on my 6th cruise in 30 days on the Miracle.

Favorites:

St Martin-love shopping in Phillipsburg love the CHOCOLATE BOX shop down Old Street. love snorkeling the french side waters last time.

St. Thomas-shopping was great found hummels and crystal for my mom and good prices on liqour. Love the mountain top where you can see the other islands on a clear day plus they have banana dariquies.:p

Grand Cayman-wish i can go back to do the sting ray swim just did shopping last time

Not favorite

Freeport-too dirty nothing to do when got off had to take a taxi to do anything. people where pushy at the strawmarket. I only went out for 30 minutes then got back on the boat

Nassu-again dirty people were way too pushy for me. i am on vacation i do not want to get panhandled it is bad enough i get that sometimes here in Orlando. there are two saving graces on this port, Senor Frogs is great and Atlantis hotel is nice.

Cozumel- i like it but been there too many times. if i am not on a excursion just go to either Carlos and Charlies or Senor Frog.

That is it for now. Maybe I would put Panama or Costa Rica up there next month. See ya

Pam

Favorite Costa maya

Least Favorite Acapolco. I know that is spelled wrong.

Someone feel free to correct me.

;) It's Acapulco and I agree with you...didn't much like it there. I also don't like the bahamas...nassau, Freeport; you can keep them.

My favorite ports are St Lucia, Huatulco, Roatan, and Cozumel (so far) :)

Can you guys elaborate a bit on why these are your favorites or least favorite? What makes St Martaan so fun? Why didnt you like San Juan?

I can take a stab at San Juan being a least fave...I've never stopped there as a port of call on a cruise, but from what I understand, they arrive around 5:00pm and leave around 10:00pm and dock in Old San Juan.

At 5:00pm, the forts are closed. Old San Juan takes on a whole different persona after dark....not bad mind you, but theres more to see/do during the day.

We spent 2 weeks on a land trip in Puerto Rico over the summer, and its a shame that the ship doesnt arrive in port earlier for people to head out to other parts of the island such as the El Yunque Rain Forest, only 45 mins from San Juan and Luquillo Beach right around the corner. There is also some fantastic food to be had outside of San Juan such as the pig roasts (lechon).

After spending lots of time there in SJ and seeing the other sights, I can see how only 5 hours would probably make it my least fave too.

St. Lucia was our all-time favorite. Between the friendly nature of the locals, the beautiful beaches (one closely resembles Magens Bay in St. Thomas), mountains (Twin Pitons) & volcano, waterfalls, local cruisine and scenery it was our best port yet. See pics below.

Ocho Rios on the other hand was not a favorite. The desolate nature of the locals was sad & scary. If they weren't trying to sell you illegal drugs or fake gold, they were physically pulling on you to come into their shops. One grabbed my then 10 year-old's arm and asked if they could braid her hair. That was it for us and we headed back to the ship. If we ever go back, we are staying on the ship!

2027268140101210541S200x200Q85.jpg 2050791710101210541S200x200Q85.jpg 2370632530101210541S200x200Q85.jpg 2578057330101210541S200x200Q85.jpg2246923040101210541S425x425Q85.jpg

favorite (so far) - Grand Turk, least favorite (so far) - Freeport

I thought you liked Half Moon Kay? ;) Just teasing you!

Oh, sorry onto topic...

Favourite (so far): Dominica (way back 13 years ago - they treated us like gold!)

Least (so far): Nassau

favorites...

Dominica most beautiful island I have ever visited, wonderful people, very high literacy rate, I promise it must be the real Garden of Eden.

Bermuda clean and safe, very British, residents are polite but reserved.

least favorites

aruba..just don't like the desert

cozumel..too much of a border town environment

Favorites:

Bermuda - it's a wonderful place with everything to do from tourist stuff, great beaches, and shopping.

Cozumel - just a fun place.

Least favorites:

Nassau - not very thrilling. Stay on board or head to the beach.

Port Canaveral - I know it's a embarkation port, but I've been on cruises that stop there. If you've already done the Disney World and NASA thing, I don't find Cocoa beach to be a great day port.

Archived