Galaxy Inside Cabin Question -- light sleeper

sailandcruise

I'm planning to book an inside on the Galaxy for a 10 day Southern Caribbean this winter and have a question about which cabin is preferable. I'm a light sleeper so minimizing noise is my primary consideration. I can choose an aft inside on the Sky Deck near the magrodome, one of several on the Penthouse deck (foward, amidships, or aft), or one on the Vista Deck aft. The cabin on the Sky Deck is above the Oasis Cafe -- will it be noisy from below? Some of the Penthouse deck cabins are aligned fore-and-aft rather than port-to-starboard, and on a previous cruise I found it more difficult to sleep due to the pitching of the ship that caused my head and feet to alternate being up and down. (I find that rhe ship's pitching motion when the bed is transverse to the ship helps me sleep as it is side-to-side in that situation.) These Penthouse deck cabins are also right below the spa, pool, and cafe -- will they be noisy? The Vista Deck cabins are between two passenger decks so they won't have noise problems -- at least not from public rooms -- but they are aft and in the past when I have been in lower deck aft cabins the engine vibrations made it difficult for me to fall asleep. I've never been on Galaxy or one of her sisters so I don't know if this will be a problem or if the Vista Deck is far enough above the engines so it won't. Thanks in advance for any information or recommendations.

My niece and I were in cabin 1243 in June. There was no noise from the Oasis Cafe, and it was very convenient to pop down for breakfast. However, there is a vibration issue with the Galaxy, and it is most noticeable in aft cabins. I'm a very heavy sleeper, and was awakened every morning when the ship docked. The vibrations felt and sounded like the sky was falling! Other than that, it was great.

We had an inside Vista cabin, couple of

doors up from the aft. elevators.

We did not hear a sound from the

engines or the elevator. Very quiet room.

Being between two floors of rooms is the best.

That was Nov. & Dec. 2006.

I'm planning to book an inside on the Galaxy for a 10 day Southern Caribbean this winter and have a question about which cabin is preferable. I'm a light sleeper so minimizing noise is my primary consideration. I can choose an aft inside on the Sky Deck near the magrodome, one of several on the Penthouse deck (foward, amidships, or aft), or one on the Vista Deck aft. The cabin on the Sky Deck is above the Oasis Cafe -- will it be noisy from below? Some of the Penthouse deck cabins are aligned fore-and-aft rather than port-to-starboard, and on a previous cruise I found it more difficult to sleep due to the pitching of the ship that caused my head and feet to alternate being up and down. (I find that rhe ship's pitching motion when the bed is transverse to the ship helps me sleep as it is side-to-side in that situation.) These Penthouse deck cabins are also right below the spa, pool, and cafe -- will they be noisy? The Vista Deck cabins are between two passenger decks so they won't have noise problems -- at least not from public rooms -- but they are aft and in the past when I have been in lower deck aft cabins the engine vibrations made it difficult for me to fall asleep. I've never been on Galaxy or one of her sisters so I don't know if this will be a problem or if the Vista Deck is far enough above the engines so it won't. Thanks in advance for any information or recommendations.

We had one on Penthouse deck mid ship - fantastic location.

Since there isn't any engine vibration felt on either the Sky or Vista decks -- thanks Belle -- and since there's no noise from the Oasis Cafe -- thanks bogota -- then the Sky deck cabin seems like my best choice. Vista deck would be second since it's between two passenger decks, and Penthouse deck third, just in case. But they all sound good.

We were in 1230 on a recent Galaxy Med cruise. There was no noise from below, but since you're in the vicinity of the main stack there is a bit of a low frequency drone or rumble from the engines. It's very subtle and it seems to be quite constant so we got used to it very quickly and it never bothered us at all. No vibration that I recall, although we did notice some in the dining room when leaving port.

It's very convenient on sky deck - you're outside in just a few steps, and it only down one stair to grab a coffee or a plate of sushi.

Sailandcruise - I encourage you to consider wearing ear plugs when you sleep onboard. I never travel without them. The reality is that, regardless of where your cabin is, or your hotel room for that matter, you NEVER know if you are going to be subjected to some noise from an unexpected source. You could be in one of the best suites on a ship, but find yourself next door to a suite with a piano that is being banged on all night long (I read that in here recently). You could end up in a cabin next to some all-night partiers. You could find the couple above you are really noisily amorous all night long, banging furniture around at all hours of the night! You just never know.

I never travel without ear plugs. Here are the type that I use.

http://hearos.com/earplugs/products-02210.html

They are designed to filter out most noises that will keep you from sleeping. They will NOT filter out sudden, loud noises such as fire alarms, a ringing phone, or an alarm clock. They are comfortable - once put in, you won't even feel them.

If you are a light sleeper and concerned about noise, this will solve the vast majority of noise problems you might encounter - and give you the rest you want on your vacation.

(And no, I don't work for Hearos - I'm just a happy customer!) :)

I never travel without ear plugs. Here are the type that I use.

http://hearos.com/earplugs/products-02210.html

They are designed to filter out most noises that will keep you from sleeping. They will NOT filter out sudden, loud noises such as fire alarms, a ringing phone, or an alarm clock. They are comfortable - once put in, you won't even feel them.

If you are a light sleeper and concerned about noise, this will solve the vast majority of noise problems you might encounter - and give you the rest you want on your vacation.

(And no, I don't work for Hearos - I'm just a happy customer!) :)

The picture on the website seems to show that the earplugs are tapered. Are they tapered?

Yes, they are slightly tapered. I find this makes them easier to insert than the ones shaped more like a straight tube...and more comfortable once they've expanded inside your ear. The tube-shaped ones seem to put more pressure on the inner part of my ear.

Archived