Start motion sickness treatment before trip??

spring162

Hey all you experienced cruise parents I need your advice. We are taking our kids 17,15,12 on a cruise on Liberty of the seas next June. 2 of my kids did show signs of motion sickness some years ago when we were on a dinner cruise type ship on Lake Michigan for a wedding reception. My question is do I start motion sickness treatment (dramamine) before we cruise just figuring it will hit them again or do I wait until it happens onboard and possibly have to lose a day or so to sickness? :(

I would start it ahead of time (and I'd use Bonine--less drowsy!) because it's harder to treat once they start feeling ill! If they have no signs of motion sickness and seas are calm, I'd forgo a dose or two, and see what happens!

Being on a cruise ship is NOT like being on a small boat!

But prevention is always better than a cure!!!!!

Hey all you experienced cruise parents I need your advice. We are taking our kids 17,15,12 on a cruise on Liberty of the seas next June. 2 of my kids did show signs of motion sickness some years ago when we were on a dinner cruise type ship on Lake Michigan for a wedding reception. My question is do I start motion sickness treatment (dramamine) before we cruise just figuring it will hit them again or do I wait until it happens onboard and possibly have to lose a day or so to sickness? :(

You will probably get tons of advice for your question. I WOULD definitely pack dramamine, bonnie or the likes. There are many other options to consider. Ginger ........in the form of capsules, altoids eps ease feelings of nausea associated with motion sickness. I have found wearing Sea Bands starting the week before your cruise really helps. You can purchase them at a pharmacy or on line. We have been on cruises with some really rough seas to the point the elevators on the ship were shut down and never had a problem with sickness wearing the sea bands. Simple and no drugs!!!!!!!!!! Of course this is all very subjective as what works for one person is totally not good for another. Just nice to be prepared. The new ships today have pods which aid in the sensation of motion nothing like the older ships stabilizers etc. Good luck.......anxious to see what others say.............:>)! Had a problem with text typing here hope you understand!

The best advice I can give is to consult with your family doctor.

I will tell you what we did though. The first time we purchased an over the counter items such as the one you mentioned (we use Bonine) we tried it out at home to make sure there were no side effects. We had no problems with it. The key to both Bonine and Dramomine is to take them before one is sea sick because if you wait until one is sea sick it is too late for them to work effectively. So, in the case of one of our children who is bothered by motion sickness (she is now an adult) we would give it to her around the time we embarked the ship.

Again, just run this all by your family physician because while these are over the counter items they still are drugs so I always think it is a wise idea to speak with a physician first who is aware of each patients history.

Keith

I consulted our pediatrician when we were getting for our kids first cruise. He had just returned from a cruise with his family (3 small children). He used Bonine for kids - it is a different medication than the regular Bonine, but they are both chewable. We started the Bonine for Kids the night before the cruise. I gave one chewable to each child at bedtime. We had some rough seas one day, but none of us ever had a problem.

I'll be the odd ball. ;) A wedding boat is not the same as a cruise ship. It will be alot different.

Bonine "less drowsy" is just Dramamine less drowsy, and THAT you have to take before you get sick.

Bonine regular formula is a chewable that you can take AFTER you get sick. It is the only one to work like that.

So I would take the bonine regular formula with you. If the kids get sick, then give them the med. But I wouldn't give it to them before cause it may make them sleepy.

Have much exp. with this sad to say. Bonine is meclazine. Walmart has it in a larger bottle. My children have used it for years. Also it is what the ships usu give free at pursers desk. Am an RN so a few thoughts from my background. We got a script for Zofran. It is an incredible drug for post anesthesia nausea. We get a script to go better to have and not need. Most insur. will only pay for a few so ask your dr. for a larger dose and cut in 2. Sounds like all your kids would be old enough. The last 2 large family cruises this helped the ones who are prone. Zofran can be used after it starts. These 2 drugs can def. be used together. I know many people will tell you to ask your dr. but SO many times they are oblivious. The sea bands do work but the ages yours are they would prob. rather die than wear them. Hope this helps. Bonine brand only sells meclazine they may package diff. to get you to buy but they have adult (12 and over) and then now have chewable. Dramamine brand has both reg dramamine and less drowsy which always look at ingredients. It is same as bonine.

I'll be the odd ball. ;) A wedding boat is not the same as a cruise ship. It will be alot different.

Bonine "less drowsy" is just Dramamine less drowsy, and THAT you have to take before you get sick.

Bonine regular formula is a chewable that you can take AFTER you get sick. It is the only one to work like that.

So I would take the bonine regular formula with you. If the kids get sick, then give them the med. But I wouldn't give it to them before cause it may make them sleepy.

Hey cruisnmama,

I totally agree that the boats are not similar at all and there is always the possibility that the kids wont suffer at all. I dont really want to bring it up at all since then it will be in their minds. My thought was that if I dont start them on something and wait and see, if it goes bad Im gonna be the one to suffer sitting in the cabin with them while they feel like junk:( Other poster is correct in her thought that no teenage girl is going to want to wear those seabands! Im not sure I want to wear those either LOL. I guess I will stock up on Bonine and ginger and hope for the best. The RCCL rep. assures me we wont feel a thing!:D HA!

Bonine brand only sells meclazine they may package diff. to get you to buy but they have adult (12 and over) and then now have chewable.

I have heard this several times before. I asked the pediatrician about it. "Can I just give them the regular Bonine?" The Bonine for Kids is a

Chewable Travel Tablet. Cyclizine Hydrochloride - Antiemetic

For Kids - The Product to Use at the Onset of Symptoms.

This is what the Bonine says

Meclizine Hydochloride - Antiemetic

Works up to 4 times longer and causes less drowsiness than original DRAMAMINE.

They are both chewables. We have been taking Bonine for 4 years and they have all been chewable. I remember Dramamine when I was young being not chewable.

The possiblity of drowsiness in the kids is the reason that I give it to them at bedtime. Sorry about the reply but, I know that the two formulations are different. I just wanted everyone else to know that too.;)

Have much exp. with this sad to say. Bonine is meclazine. Walmart has it in a larger bottle. My children have used it for years. Also it is what the ships usu give free at pursers desk. Am an RN so a few thoughts from my background. We got a script for Zofran. It is an incredible drug for post anesthesia nausea. We get a script to go better to have and not need. Most insur. will only pay for a few so ask your dr. for a larger dose and cut in 2. Sounds like all your kids would be old enough. The last 2 large family cruises this helped the ones who are prone. Zofran can be used after it starts. These 2 drugs can def. be used together. I know many people will tell you to ask your dr. but SO many times they are oblivious. The sea bands do work but the ages yours are they would prob. rather die than wear them. Hope this helps. Bonine brand only sells meclazine they may package diff. to get you to buy but they have adult (12 and over) and then now have chewable. Dramamine brand has both reg dramamine and less drowsy which always look at ingredients. It is same as bonine.

Seabands are also made for children to fit their small wrists. They come is neat colors with designs etc. on them and kids happily wear them. FYI

• 2 weeks later...

I cruised for the first time with my kids in June, ages 13, 10 and 8. I was worried that they would be affected and packed seabands, and every other over the counter medicine that could work for them. We never used any of it. We were on Freedom. My oldest would occasionally say "Whoa, did you guys feel that?," I didn't let her her dwell on it, told her she was okay and she never needed anything. So for us, it worked to just be prepared and we didn't end up needing anything.

You know, I am glad that I found this thread. Because I am at a toss up on what to do for my kids first cruise. Their ages are 14, 13, and 11. My 13 year old takes after his mom when it comes to motion sickness. I have not placed a plan in action for them yet but what I always do for myself is since I fly, I usually take first dose 1 hour before the flight. Then as far as the cruise go, I would take one pill in the morning and one around dinner time. Now if were were docking that day, then I would skip the morning dose and just take one at dinner. One night I guess it was in my system because I went the whole day without a pill at all.

Archived