Azamara Air Inclusive Problem

mimiruby

We are booked on Journey 11/9 with air inclusive through Azamara. Arrival back in the US from Barcelona is through JFK; however, Azamara booked us home through LaGuardia and are saying we must do our own transfers between airports. This is not "air inclusive" in my book and has not been my experience with other cruise lines. Azamara is telling TA nothing they can do. Anyone else having this problem? Are we being unreasonable?

We are booked on Journey 11/9 with air inclusive through Azamara. Arrival back in the US from Barcelona is through JFK; however, Azamara booked us home through LaGuardia and are saying we must do our own transfers between airports. This is not "air inclusive" in my book and has not been my experience with other cruise lines. Azamara is telling TA nothing they can do. Anyone else having this problem? Are we being unreasonable?

I suggest you have a talk with your TA and tell her that is unacceptable!

Jancruz1

We are also booked with air on Quest 12/16/08 and have encountered a problem with the air itinerary. It is fine from JFK to Singapore, only taking us further east for just under 4 hours. Originally they wanted to book us all the way to Tokoyo which is almost 8 hours further. But coming back from Hong Kong, they routed us going to San Francisco and then on a red eye back to JFK. This will mean two nights sleeping on a plane and adding many extra hours. There is a direct flight from Hong Kong to JFK, non stop and only 15 hours. When I called the agent and complained and told him about the non stop flight, he told me that he couldn't book me on that one - that Azamara has no seats on that direct flight.

I feel that this is unacceptable, and on these long haul flights it is particularly onerous to have these convoluted, out of the way flight arrangements. It leaves a bad feeling about Azamara which is trying to position itself as a near luxury line. A near luxury line would hold many more non stop, or one stop direct flight for its "air inclusive" passengers. I wonder if there is anything I can do to alter this.

-Judith

I called "A" last week to ask about their air deviation for SFO flights to Barcelona and back from Copenhagen. UAL has very good flights connecting in FRA, but I was told "A" does not use UAL. So, it looks like we'll be doing our own air arrangements.

I am shocked by 2 things:

1. That AZ would contort flights in such a horrendous fashion.

2. That experienced cruisers would use cruise air and not do custom air. If you are an Captains Club member there is no charge.

I've done this for several years after reading about the horrendous connections cruisers have endured here on CC. (I've used this especially for open jaw flights, where you don't return from the same city). I've been given a choice of several options, at no additional fares, and one or another usually is agreeable to me.

I take it you are dealing specifically with the Air/Sea Desk at Celebrity. You should be as they cover AZ as well.

If all else fails, try emailing the following:

jporkolab@rccl.com, and/or bhuber@rccl.com

Both Jayme Porkolab and Barbie Huber have been very accommodating to me in the past, as well as others here on CC. They can usually help within reason.

Good Luck

TnT

Thanks TnT for the email addresses.

No, I am not Captain's Member. I have always sailed with Princess in the past and am a long time member of their Captain's Club. Maybe I now know why I have been loyal to Princess.

I am using a TA that is known for cruise experience but she has not dealt with A as it is so new, only RCL. She recommended using the cruise air in case of delays, etc. because the cruise line will help with rebooking to next port.

I am not convinced that is the case now that we have experienced this problem.

A couple of reasons I use cruise air, customized, is:

1. Pay for the airfare when you pay for the cruise. No need to lock into airfare, and then have the possibility of the cruise itself being changed or cancelled-with me left holding usually cheap/non-refundable air tickets.

2. Price. Again, with the Transatlantic cruises, you fly into one city and return back out of another. Ususally, these fare are quite high, and the cruise line air can give you a break.

Email those listed above ASAP. The clock is ticking!! They are very responsible, and can hopefully help you and your TA with this problem.

Good Luck.

TnT

p.s. from reading these boards, AZ is not the only cruise line to do strange and wacky things with the air portions.

I called "A" last week to ask about their air deviation for SFO flights to Barcelona and back from Copenhagen. UAL has very good flights connecting in FRA, but I was told "A" does not use UAL. So, it looks like we'll be doing our own air arrangements.

That is not true. Azamara is flying me from Atlanta to Rome in two weeks on UAL.

That is not true. Azamara is flying me from Atlanta to Rome in two weeks on UAL.

I am only reporting what an "A" representative in the Air Deviation office told me. I suppose I could keep calling until I get the answer I want to hear. That sometimes works when calling an airline. It's strange that they are using UA from Atlanta when Delta is so prominent there. Here at SFO United is the major carrier, and I was told they would use Delta!

miniruby,

They are usually very responsive. Not sure why they haven't gotten back to you.did you give names, phone numbers and e-mails for both you and your TA??? They will want to talk to you and your TA.

Can also try e-mailing:

Sabrina Hall

Azamara Cruises Air/Sea Representative

azamarapersonalizedair@celebrity.com

Good Luck,

TnT

Thank you so much TNT, I know there are others out there that will pick up on these suggestions and I know it will be helpful to them, as well.

I included all my info in the previous email to RCCL but not my TA's so maybe that is the issue. I'll try again.

You have great contacts!

I am shocked by 2 things:

1. That AZ would contort flights in such a horrendous fashion.

2. That experienced cruisers would use cruise air and not do custom air. If you are an Captains Club member there is no charge.

I've done this for several years after reading about the horrendous connections cruisers have endured here on CC. (I've used this especially for open jaw flights, where you don't return from the same city). I've been given a choice of several options, at no additional fares, and one or another usually is agreeable to me.

I take it you are dealing specifically with the Air/Sea Desk at Celebrity. You should be as they cover AZ as well.

If all else fails, try emailing the following:

jporkolab@rccl.com, and/or bhuber@rccl.com

Both Jayme Porkolab and Barbie Huber have been very accommodating to me in the past, as well as others here on CC. They can usually help within reason.

Good Luck

TnT

Hello

iam stuck with a no custom air offered (pre cruise) to Barcelona for a april 5,09 cruise, so how would you like that, they want me to take there hotel option of 800 one night to fly in early, my opion of this cruise line is changing rapidly to the point iam thinking about cancelling. This was a dicouted air special we had gotten now i see why. Iam waiting to call them myself Monday and also wrote to RCL over the weekend, probably wont do any good. Any ideas!!

Eric

TNT and MIMI

Hers my problem and ive posted under other threads same thing

RE Apr,05,09 barcelona to Venice

I requested custom air from venice with a two night extra stay no problem, when i asked to include one day early custom air to

Barcelona, my TA said Az said not available, i dont know if they told her this or she made it up, but she says to use their hotel option to fly in early, Thats 600 to 800 one night, if az told her that i think i might cancel, as bad as i want to go on this trip, thats a insult to me.

Judging from the air flights they gave me for the post air, i will have 4 hours to get to departing ship, then ta tells me that wether you book thur cruise or Custom Air, once you book airfare youre on your own, the cruise wont help with air problem to get you to ship if you miss it. I must be so miss informed, i always thought thats why you book with cruise even thu it may be more exp in some cases. This is the first time i used this Travel agent from Cruise compete, does any of this sound right, or should i call owner of Travel agency to see whats up.

Any help out there, i did note the two email address at RCL

Thanks

Eric

First of all, make sure you are dealing with the Sea/Land Desk. The other reps are just not that knowledgeable.

Next, Not all Sea/Land Reps are created equal. Some just don't get the "air inclusive" portion of AZ bookings, and that throws off everything.

(When I initially tried to do custom air for a Dec TA, the regular AZ rep said "there was none available." Of course I questioned how that could be, none available even for an upcharge, when I could book a multitude of flights on various carriers on my requested date? Was again told "No, nothing available."

Was then told that the Air/Sea Desk was closed for the week-end and that someone could get back to me during the next week.

I then e-mailed Jayme Porkolab and Barbie Huber (see emails above).

The following Monday, I received a phone call from Sabrina Hall, (see email above). She told me that she had emailed me the information that AM, and to ignore another email from another Service Rep, (who was quoting horrendous upcharges for the custom air). Ms. Hall told me that the reps were indeed having difficulties understanding the way AZ worked. In the end, I had a choice of several flights, on the dates I wanted, with no upcharge! Ms. Hall knows her stuff!!

So, the lesson is, deal with the right people who are in a position to help. Hopefully, the other Service Reps at AZ will get additional much-needed training.

Good Luck,

TnT

TNT

No luck send email to jamie and address no good, then to Sabrina and she no longer in that dept so she forwarded it up the line, but she wouldnt reply where she forwarded it to. Sent email to S Hall she did reply but the responce was terrible.

She said that there were no contracts as of yet to do custom air out New Orleans, she said they cant use the contracted air for people that book cruise hotel prestay, she said have my TA send in request, they would put in file and then review should something come up. Yea Right !!!!!!!!

God i dont know why its so hard to get this done, so i sent reply back asking if they were waiting to contract a airline out New Orleans, or did that mean no one from the US can Custom Air to Barcelona early. I also asked about atlanta market which is real close to us, i just cant believe it. So i forwarded the Email back to Sabrina also with apoliges for bothering her so she could forward to whoever she forwarded my original request.

Wow looks bleak, so iam looking in to another cruise line for similar cruise, this to much trouble and heartache to pay this kind of money and have trouble already and we havent even left yet, this is a omen

Cant just wait around for something to come up, or for them to open a file, still so funny that reply. any other suggestions, still havent heard from my TA and Sabrina forwarded her reply to me to her. Ut Oh.

Eric

Eric,

I had luck finally just calling A directly. The two individuals that TNT provided emails for also had someone follow up with a phone call. They seemed interested in solving the problem but it was already taken care of.

I just spent the better part of the day trying to get my air assignments worked out with azamara. They had me coming in the afternoon we sail despite the hotel package the night before. When i called my TA ( who didn't catch this) what a nightmare. This is for the asia sailing in january. I finally threw up my hands and cancelled the air and went cruise only. Now I'm scrambling to make my own air and hotel but the savings is several thousand dollars so I should be glad they made me cancel.

I have cruised with Celebrity and Azamara several times, but have never used their air inclusive program, until now. We are cruising transatlantic on Azamara Dec 3 from Barcelona to Miami. When I initially booked the cruise, I decided to go with air inclusive because I couldn’t come close to their rates. I live in Seattle. I wanted to customize the air to have some time in Florida before returning home.

When I contacted Azamara’s custom air representative to ask general policy questions about how long I could stay in Florida, the first rep gave me a pretty hard time because I had used a travel agent. She wouldn’t answer the policy questions. I thanked her, hung up, and called again. For the second call, I told the rep I was considering booking a cruise and had generally policy questions – specifically how long I can stay in Florida and can I return from a different airport (not Miami). She said 28 days and another airport was ok. She also gave me what has turned out to be great advice. She said do not request an air deviation until the cruise is within 60 days. She said that’s when Azamara books the air. It is easier for them to create custom air after they have already booked the standard air for you.

This was hard, as I was anxious it wouldn’t work. However, I waited. The air provided was great – reasonable flights from Seattle to Barcelona and then from Miami to Seattle. My husband is going to use that itinerary exactly. I am staying in Florida to visit relatives. I picked the exact flight, airline, and date I wanted – Alaska Air. It would cost me $350 if I booked it myself. My TA called Azamara. I expected them to say no, in which case I was going to book myself and just not show up at the airport in Miami. Guess what? They willing made the change to exactly what I wanted. The cost? $0. – Yippee!

I may have been lucky and will certainly keep all your experiences in mind when next booking air inclusive. However, the waiting to after Azamara booked the air (within 60 days of the cruise) seems to have worked for me.

Kathy

Kathy,

Nice to see someone else has had good luck with custom air. I've used it for all but one of my past cruises. Has never cost me any additonal airfare, no fee, (CC member), and a multitude of flights and airline options.

Funny thing is, I usually do this pretty far in advance, and the only hassle I've had is losing/changing seat assignments when aircrafts change. The 60 days out would be cutting it kinda close, for me anyway.

Thanks for the positive feedback.

Tim

Archived