Cabin confusion for family

bravesgirl

Greetings! Love the site, it's been so helpful.

I'm researching our first family cruise together for spring break 2009.

I don't understand some of the information I'm getting back as I check pricing. Can a family of 4 stay in a regular cabin or do you need to buy a suite? I haven't talked to a TA yet, that's my next step, but I wanted to be a bit more informed on my cabin choices first.

Thanks!

You can also get the information from the deck plans - either in a brochure, or on line.

On the deck plans, some cabins will have stars, diamonds. etc. next to the cabin number. If you refer to the deck plan key, you'll be able to "translate" those symbols.

Most on line travel agencies don't bother to include that key on their deck plans. However, if you go to the cruise lines' own sites and look at the plans, you'll also see that key of symbols.

For Carnival, cabins that hold 4 with 2 upper berths have two dark dots next to the cabin number.

For Royal Caribbean, the symbol is a plus sign.

I'm told that if some people are willing to use the shower facilities in the spa/gym, that can alleviate the bathroom situation when you have 4 to a cabin.

There are also tricks to deal with the clutter (over-the-door-shoe-hanger to store a bunch of stuff in a compact space, power strips so you can charge several devices at once). The cabin steward can stow extra empty luggage for you. Bring along lots of post-it notes, so you can let others know where to find you. Things like that.

I remember on my first cruise, there were four women at my dinner table, sharing a cabin. I happened to be walking by their cabin one day and their door was open. I heard one of them speaking (she had a very distinctive voice), so I stopped and glanced in to say hi. It looked like a hurricane had been through there. I remarked about it at dinner that night, and she said that they tried to be orderly, but after about day 3, just gave up and decided to have a free-for-all.

The nice thing about a suite, or even a mini, is the full-sized bathtub. I don't know what the price delta is between a mini and the cabin class you're considering, but you might want to check it out.

Not only can you use the shower facilities in the spa (I actually did that once this year because the shower was larger and the locker area had plenty of towels and extra space), but if you get a room near the elevators and stairs, you will have easy access to the public restrooms on the public decks if you need them.

When we were younger and started cruising with my parents, all four of us girls would stay in one cabin (usually an inside on a lower deck) while my parents usually had a larger cabin, OV or a suite. We didn't care one bit. We were 4 gals who grew up together sharing 1 bathroom. When we were all single and in our mid-late twenties, all four of us sisters cruised together a number of times, always in one cabin and usually an inside. Whatever what cheapest. We were just out of college and traveling to the Caribbean. We were not picky!!!

Now, being in my 40's and married and more financially secure, I wouldn't stay in a cabin with 4 people. Maybe with two kids if they were small, but teens and older....never. That's not to say it can't be done!!!

Archived