Please Compare...Navigator or Brilliance ?

tammymacb

Well, we've made a definate decision to use RCCL to see the Med next summer.

I've been pricing and looking at iteneraries and the two ships that show up the most are Navigator and Brilliance.

We've been on Navigator once and liked it very much. We've never been on the Brilliance though and I'd love to hear about it.

We'll be traveling with 3. My dd is 12 so kids club and areas are also very important to us.

Thanks in advance for the info!

I LOVE the Radiance class and Brilliance because of all the glass so beautiful views everywhere. I frankly am not a big fan of the larger ships that have the promenade as I felt claustrophobic. The biggest difference in amenities is the ice rink which some people love and others don't but they do put on an excellent show on it.

Without exception, I have to agree 100% with what Sue L said. Yes, the Voyager-class ships are larger, but I felt the entire emphasis of the ship was on the Royal Promenade. The Radiance-class ships, which include the Brilliance, offer vast open views of the ocean--which, for me, is a huge part of what cruising is all about. Alas, this will ultimately be a personal decision for you, depending on your preferences. Whichever ship you decide on, I hope you have a wonderful vacation!!

Karen

The med is usually very 'port-intensive' and so a ship with many shops etc like the voyager class is a bit overdone. For me the added 'transparency' of the radiance class ship weighs heavier than the onboard facilities.

PS. depending on the ports you are visiting in the med a smaller ship may be better with regards to docking instead of tendering and shore facilities (buses etc.) which are not equipped to handle the larger crowds from larger ships.

I can't compare Nav to Brilliance (yet), but I can compare Explorer to Radiance and Serenade - and have to say after two Radiance class cruises, I would pick a Voyager class any day. Personally, I really didn't see the difference in the openess of the views, and prefer the much grander spaces of the Voyager class. I actually thought Voyager class felt less crowded, even though it is much bigger. I suppose there is the argument that on a port intensive cruise, you won't get to enjoy all the Voyager class amenities anyway, but I would still prefer the options of the extra amenities and space.

I personally prefer the Radiance Class (Brilliance), we did the Jewel of the Seas in Europe and the Serenade in Alaska. But my kids definitely prefer the Navigator (Voyager Class) and Freedom Class. More to do on the bigger ships, but more windows and views on the Radiance class. I always knew I was on a ship on the Radiance Class. Easy to forget on the really large ships as so much is taking place where there are no windows/views. Europe is as I say, a working cruise because it is so port intensive.

But we will be on the Voyager of the Seas in the Med. out of Barcelona in June, so I will really be able to compare the two classes.

We have been on both in the Med. Really, in my opinion the experience was so fantastic on both ships that I cannot say which I like the best. Either cruise you choose will be fantastic.

Probably for the children, Navigator will have a bit more to offer.

The BR has a beautiful openness to it, with elevators facing outwards. Like all Radiance class ships, they have the famous self-leveling pool tables. While there is no Promenade Cafe, there is a Seaview Cafe, which serves pizza, pasta and paninis (not open 24-hours), and a Solarium Cafe (with salads and sandwiches). The DR is 2 levels, vs 3 on the NV. No Studio B for Quest, which is held in the Colony Club.

Either way, you won't lose. Both are beautiful ships with plenty to do for adults and kids alike. I did the Mediterranean on the BR and the Caribbean on the NV. As others have posted before, the Med cruise is such a port intensive one it will matter less what ship you are on.

Happy planning!

Just got back from the Brilliance last week. We did the 12 day Italian/Venice itinerary and cannot say enough about how great it was. As a four time cruiser on the Brilliance I can wholeheartedly recommend this ship and itinerary. I have zero complaints of any kind about the ship, food, or staff & crew. I've been on one Voyager class ship (Explorer) and swear will never sail on another ship like it again.

IMHO you cannot go wrong with choosing the Brilliance.

Aubie

They are both beautiful ships with great crews. The only think I don't like with the Radiance class ships is the enclosed Solarium. However, that would be dependant on the weather! We've only sailed to warm weather destinations, where sunning is important to me--can't do that with the roof closed!!!!!

Just got back from the Brilliance last week. We did the 12 day Italian/Venice itinerary and cannot say enough about how great it was. As a four time cruiser on the Brilliance I can wholeheartedly recommend this ship and itinerary. I have zero complaints of any kind about the ship, food, or staff & crew. I've been on one Voyager class ship (Explorer) and swear will never sail on another ship like it again.

IMHO you cannot go wrong with choosing the Brilliance.

Aubie

Did this same itinerary last year and agree 100%.

I've sailed on the Brilliance twice in the past although neither were in the Med. The first was exceptional and everyone in our group of 10 had a fabulous time in all regards. When we booked this ship again to do the Panama Canal, I didn't expect it to live up to our previous cruise but it not only did, it surpassed it with flying colours. It turned out to be the closest to perfect cruise I've ever taken. There wasn't one thing I could say about either sailings that was negative.

Last weekend we returned from the 11 night Med cruise on the Navigator. One huge negative for me was the short time in most of the ports. It limited our excursions a great deal and made at least two stops very rushed.

I can't quite put my finger on what's going on with the crew on the Nav. Yes they did their job but they seemed to lack the sheer joy of those on the Brilliance.

Food is a very subjective topic but I seriously didn't care for the food in the dining room of the Nav. Three of the entrees were repeated on each night's menu and for me and the other 5 at our table, the remaining choices were bland, boring and unimaginative. Desserts were the same and on several nights I didn't bother to order any. But I have read of others who enjoyed the food.

As for the ships themselves, I prefer having ocean views as much as possible. You can't beat a Radiance class ship in that regard. Especially the open outdoor dining in the Windjammer. I really missed that on the Nav. Other than Johnny Rockets, there is no open dining. Generally speaking, the Nav is in decent shape but needs a few touch-ups here and there, such as the railing on our balcony that hadn't seen a coat of varnish in a very long time. Cleanliness was good but not up to the standard of the Brilliance.

Would I sail a Voyager class ship again? Maybe but definately not the Navigator. I've also sailed other Voyager class ships and there was no comparison. Neither IMO come close to my Brilliance experiences.

2P.P1

I've sailed on the Brilliance twice in the past although neither were in the Med. The first was exceptional and everyone in our group of 10 had a fabulous time in all regards. When we booked this ship again to do the Panama Canal, I didn't expect it to live up to our previous cruise but it not only did, it surpassed it with flying colours. It turned out to be the closest to perfect cruise I've ever taken. There wasn't one thing I could say about either sailings that was negative.

Last weekend we returned from the 11 night Med cruise on the Navigator. One huge negative for me was the short time in most of the ports. It limited our excursions a great deal and made at least two stops very rushed.

I can't quite put my finger on what's going on with the crew on the Nav. Yes they did their job but they seemed to lack the sheer joy of those on the Brilliance.

Food is a very subjective topic but I seriously didn't care for the food in the dining room of the Nav. Three of the entrees were repeated on each night's menu and for me and the other 5 at our table, the remaining choices were bland, boring and unimaginative. Desserts were the same and on several nights I didn't bother to order any. But I have read of others who enjoyed the food.

As for the ships themselves, I prefer having ocean views as much as possible. You can't beat a Radiance class ship in that regard. Especially the open outdoor dining in the Windjammer. I really missed that on the Nav. Other than Johnny Rockets, there is no open dining. Generally speaking, the Nav is in decent shape but needs a few touch-ups here and there, such as the railing on our balcony that hadn't seen a coat of varnish in a very long time. Cleanliness was good but not up to the standard of the Brilliance.

Would I sail a Voyager class ship again? Maybe but definately not the Navigator. I've also sailed other Voyager class ships and there was no comparison. Neither IMO come close to my Brilliance experiences.

2P.P1

Perhaps doing all those 4 and 5 nighters has taken a toll on her. She was in good shape the last time I sailed her when she was still doing 7 nighters.

I think for a European cruise, you should pick based on itinerary, not ship. Both ships are fantastic, and you can see some people prefer one and other prefer the other. I personally love the Radiance class - there is plenty for kids to do on either ship, so again, for a European cruise, I would pick based on itinerary (and price).

Perhaps doing all those 4 and 5 nighters has taken a toll on her. She was in good shape the last time I sailed her when she was still doing 7 nighters.

I don't agree with that. For me, Navigator is a wonderful ship. People here are making extreme comments for effect, but the truth is that both ships are run to the same standard - individual experiences can differ as can individual perceptions.

The Brilliance solarium is enclosed, Navigator is open. I understand the comment about the sun worshipping but the Brilliance roof can be opened when the weather is good and is great when there is so much wind or bad weather. We had one day on Navigator when it was impossible to stay in the solarium (too cold).

I don't agree with that. For me, Navigator is a wonderful ship. People here are making extreme comments for effect, but the truth is that both ships are run to the same standard - individual experiences can differ as can individual perceptions.

Sorry to disagree with you but I just got off the Navigator and my comments are my own perceptions (as clearly stated in my post) and are not extreme. If they were, I could have nit-picked lots of things but that would have been petty IMO.

2P.P1

Personally - I love the Voyager class ships. I have been on the Brilliance and the Serenade and I just feel like I am missing out on other facilities. If you have kids then the ice rink is a big pull along with the other 'extra' things. I love the Promenade - there are always open spaces on top on every ship. For me the Navigator so far is my favourite ship. It's the Independence next for me - the bigger the better!

Personally - I love the Voyager class ships. I have been on the Brilliance and the Serenade and I just feel like I am missing out on other facilities. If you have kids then the ice rink is a big pull along with the other 'extra' things. I love the Promenade - there are always open spaces on top on every ship. For me the Navigator so far is my favourite ship. It's the Independence next for me - the bigger the better!

I'm glad to hear this - we have only sailed on Serenade, Jewel and Brilliance, and absolutely loved them all - but our next cruise will be on Navigator and I'm already wondering if we made the right choice!:o

We were on the Navigator in April and the ship seemed to be in top-notch condition. We are die-hard Radiance class fans but were very pleasantly surprised at how much we enjoyed the Navigator. We were on the Legend for our first Med. cruise last summer; booked for the Brilliance out of Barcelona next summer and would not hesitate to sail a Med. cruise on the Navigator. Our choice would be based on the itinerary.

Photos of both ships in the link below; also review of Med. cruise in a link below.

Kathy:)

Archived