Entertainment on the Pearl

seamare

We just did the two-day cruise on Pearl. The first night there was a dance/song show called "South Beach Heat" or something similar with a corps of twelve leggy dancers, including two male dancers and a male and female singer. The dancers are backed by a six-piece band.

We weren't really thrilled with this show because it didn't have even one Latina or Latino performer to add authenticity. Most of the dancers are from Australia, a few form the US and one from Russia, two from the Ukraine. The entire show lacked the spirit of say a Ricky Martin show. The duet with the marc Anthony/Jennifer Lopez duet was about the best part.

The second show that night was a troupe of comics who did short and medium-length skits based on the Second City comedy group of past decades. They did their level best to be funny. Maybe I was just too tired by the late hour to appreciate their humor.

The second night the big production show was "Garden of the Geisha", a very well done mostly instrumental music show with a Japanese theme (of course.) The sets were beautiful as was the lighting. Two Ukrainian performers do really scary elevated dances on cables and long silken scarves. The woman has incredible flexibility. Their show was a kind of mini-Cirque de Soleil. The costumes are beautiful too in this show. Well worth your while to catch this show. Every seat was filled. Arrive early.

Then fourth show was so funny, I actually laughed myself into a very sore chest and sore throat. It was a pair of jugglers called SharkBait. They are former Ringling Brothers Circus clowns who juggle, but it isn't so much that they juggle or what they juggle, but how funny they make it, even when they drop things which they do often...maybe even deliberately. You never know for sure and it doesn't even matter. How I would love to have their energy! Again, arrive early as every seat fills up.

The cruise director was Simon. I don't know for certain, but I thought he sounded as if he is from Australia.

Archived