Jeans for preteens on fall Europe cruise ?

calenita

We are going in RCCL this November for a Mediterranean cruise. Just wondering about my 13,12 and 8 year olds and what to pack for them. We will have something nice for formal nights, but what about the other nights and also when touring? They LIVE in jeans it seems and I want them to be comfortable. Thanks all Debbi

While there will be those who say "NO jeans"--they are ok on casual nights. Dress them up a bit with a nice top and shoes. (no t-shirts! No "ratty" jeans--make sure they are decent!!!) After all, jeans are simply denim pants---and pants are part of the 'suggested" attire.

DD was 12YO on our Eastern Med cruise last November and will be 13YO this November when we do the Western Med cruise. She'll pack jeans or she'll end up having to go half naked most of the time! She'll have some shorts for some of the warmer ports, but when it comes to pants it is difficult to find Jrs pants that are not jeans (unless they are those PJ type pants or sweatpants :D ). She's a size 00, long so we buy whatever we can find! When AE, A&F and Hollister start selling "trousers", we'll see teens wearing them -- but I'm not holding my breath!

If you are going to the main diningroom- be prepared to dress appropriately. Jeans are not permitted. They will grudgingly let you in but other diners don't appreciate this.

However, when I travel with my eight year old son (which is most of the time)- I don't bother with dressing for dinner every night. I might go one or two times to the main diningroom but generally we just eat when we are hungry and go to the buffet in the lido. This works for us. After a day of touring, we like to come back and swim and then I don't usually feel like having to shower and dress for dinner.

It is all up to you and what suits your desires. If your kids don't really like to dress up- then just do the buffet. In fact, this is going to save you alot of headache and save on having to pack three changes of clothes (that's daywear, swimwear, eveningwear and then most kids change again after dinner). You will need layers by day (bring rain gear in November).

Honestly, European cruises are very port intensive and there is no reason to rush back to the ship to change for dinner. Just go with the flo.

If you are going to the main diningroom- be prepared to dress appropriately. Jeans are not permitted. They will grudgingly let you in but other diners don't appreciate this.

Depends upon the cruise line - RCCI's dress code is:

There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

And specifically in the "code of conduct" it states:

Dining Rooms and Specialty Restaurants No bare feet, caps, tank tops or bathing suits are permitted in these areas. Shorts are not allowed during dinner.

Long ago my BIL unsucessfully tried to argue with his son that "jeans" are not really "slacks". I told BIL that he should save the effort for an argument that he might actually win :D Dress codes were a bit tighter then, but my nephew had no problems with his jeans (and is now a sucessful attorney!)

PS while DD will generally wear jeans to the DR - on formal night she'll be wearing a lovely black halter dress with proper hoisery and shoes!

Archived