Carnival’s Total Choice Dining

Sandytoes

Ok coming from someone that has only cruised on princess and had only had "anytime" dining. I personally cant even imagine what it is like to have a "scheduled" dinner. I dont eat dinner at home on a regular schedule. Then to have to sit with the same people everynight? Who cares about not having the same waiters and them knowing what you want. When you go to a restaurant do you always have the same waiter or ask for the same waiter? I think with the anytime dining you get to meet more people if you are willing to sit with others, instead of sitting with the same people for the duration of the cruise who you may or may not like. With Anytime dining if you choose to sit with other people then that is only for 1 night. For the record, the only time I have ever had to wait for dinner was during the formal dinner, and it wasnt more than a 20 min wait or so. Plus, you have to take into consideration of the shows etc....... If you want to eat in the dining room and go see a particular show that happens to be going on at the same time as your "assigned" seating then you cant see it. If you had anytime dining then your schedule is flexible and you could plan accordingly. In closing I have never had "assigned" seating and I am particularly not looking forward to it on the Carnival Victory in May. So I hope that Carnival does have the option of Open dining and still keeps the Assigned seatings for those that prefer that.

Some are not so happy to see "Freestyle" type cruising make its way over to the Big C.

Personally, I am a fence rider on the issure until I try it.

Carnival has NO PLAN to bring FREESTYLE cruising to Carnival. Freestyle [an NCL registered trademark] supposedly is a complete cruise style not just a dining option. NCL claims that FREESTYLE is all about choices, when in fact FREESTYLE in the only choice on their ships. Some say that you can reserve the same table, and wait team, and time every night on NCL. Seems to me there is a familiar, ""traditional,"" name for that, but I can't think of it right now.

What Carnival is 'testing' is the 'Anytime' dining OPTION which has been on Princess for some time. With 'Anytime', one of the 2 dining rooms or one floor of a 2 story dining room will be set aside for 'Anytime' dining. The other room or floor will remain for TRADITIONAL DINING as it has always been. Prior to boarding, you choose one of the two choices for the duration of the cruise.

There is no carryover aspect to the rest of the cruise from the extra dining option.

FREESTYLE was a good advertising/marketing move by NCL to make themselves seem different. But moving to 'check' and 'mate' with the true choice of Anytime or traditional was an easy counter move for the competing lines.

Dan

Having only cruised once and on Princess I must say that we enjoyed the anytime dining. But for us it wasn't important to make a connection with the waitstaff and having them know our needs. For others it seems to be either important or attractive, and for them it would be nice to have traditional dining if a ship can swing both.

If Carnival adopts flexible dining will the wait staff perform "Leaving on a Jet Plane" every hour, on the hour, so that no one misses the performance?:confused:

Honestly, if I never have to sit through another Server Show, I will be a happy person.

I know I'm in the minority and will probably get flamed, but I hate the song and dance stuff.

Did it on NCL Dawn and liked the variety, but CCL is not set up for different types of venues to choose from. What I did not like is the below average service (though this was ship wide not just dinning room). I enjoy CCL as the staff is better able to take care of you since you get the same servers. We enjoy the more intimate interactions with the staff.

Did it on NCL Dawn and liked the variety, but CCL is not set up for different types of venues to choose from. What I did not like is the below average service (though this was ship wide not just dinning room). I enjoy CCL as the staff is better able to take care of you since you get the same servers. We enjoy the more intimate interactions with the staff.

I've read reviews from people that have tried the anytime dining on Carnival and they were able to request the same servers and in some cases the same tables each night.

I'm one that can't wait for this to be fleetwide as long as they still offer tradional dining for those that want it. I will use the reservations system to choose a dining time based on ports and other activities on the ship. For us this will be great as late dining was "too late" and early dining was "too early". I have a feeling we'll be eating somewhere around 7pm :)

What's the big deal about having the same servers? I can sort of see the point about having the same tablemates (but it's not an issue for us), but that's easy enough to set up yourself. I have never cared at all about who the waitstaff is, though, so long as they're competent.

What's the big deal about having the same servers? I can sort of see the point about having the same tablemates (but it's not an issue for us), but that's easy enough to set up yourself. I have never cared at all about who the waitstaff is, though, so long as they're competent.

A lot of 'traditional dining' fans enjoy/appreciate the sort of familiarity and rapport that the wait staff develops with their guests in a traditional dining arrangement. This 'relationship', if you will, typically results in (at least in the opinion of advocates) better, more personal service; the wait staff learns your individual preferences, likes/dislikes, etc; which all tends to result in a much more comfortable and pleasureable dining experience..

You cannot/will not get this sort of 'personal' service or experience in an other than traditional dining arrangement..

A lot of 'traditional dining' fans enjoy/appreciate the sort of familiarity and rapport that the wait staff develops with their guests in a traditional dining arrangement. This 'relationship', if you will, typically results in (at least in the opinion of advocates) better, more personal service; the wait staff learns your individual preferences, likes/dislikes, etc; which all tends to result in a much more comfortable and pleasureable dining experience..

You cannot/will not get this sort of 'personal' service or experience in an other than traditional dining arrangement..

I agree.

Someone above posed a rhetorical question about when we are in our own towns and such if we ask for or get the same waiter? Unequivocally YES WE DO. :)

We find a server we like at the places we frequent and we ASK for them so we have that sense of relationship. They know what we like and they learn what to recommend, what type of wine is good or that we might enjoy, etc.

So yes. I love traditional dining and as long as it remains, where my barman has my favorite choice of wine on the table when I arrive, and anyone else who wishes to sit wherever they want whenever they want can do that, I'm jiggy with it. LOL.

LOL! I agree! Especially if you get stuck with a horrible server:( And you can have the same tablemates with anytime.......tablemates you choose yourself;)

It works wonderful for us!

If Carnival adopts flexible dining will the wait staff perform "Leaving on a Jet Plane" every hour, on the hour, so that no one misses the performance?:confused:

I hope not . . . This will be my first Carnival cruise (so I have not experienced this) but I am definitely not looking forward to singing waiters. I am hoping that this will be implemented on the Dream, when it comes out.

I love freestyle dining but see the pros and cons both ways and everyone is different on what is important to them when cruising. We did the freestyle with NCL which is a little different because they have multiple places to eat. Sometimes we could not get into the specific place we wanted unless we booked very early. We are pretty flexible so it wasnt that big of deal but many people were frustrated. I like going when I am hungry rather than a specific time. I think its great to have both choices.

I love freestyle dining but see the pros and cons both ways and everyone is different on what is important to them when cruising. We did the freestyle with NCL which is a little different because they have multiple places to eat. Sometimes we could not get into the specific place we wanted unless we booked very early. We are pretty flexible so it wasnt that big of deal but many people were frustrated. I like going when I am hungry rather than a specific time. I think its great to have both choices.

If you are on anytime dining, do you leave a cash tip on the table each evening for exemplary service? How much would be appropriate?

That's one advantage to traditional - if you want to tip above and beyond the automatic grat, you can just do it on the final evening.

Archived