Carnival’s Total Choice Dining

Sandytoes

I just read an article that Carnival will begin testing a new flexible dining option with the Carnival Legend.

This is great news!!!

We enjoy Anytime Dining on Princess so much,

now that Carnival is following suit, makes me want to book a cruise. :D

Just wondering, when will Carnival to roll it out fleetwide? :confused:

~~

Carnival Cruise Lines has dropped its flexible dining program of four dinner seatings and switched back to two dinner seatings (6:15 p.m. and 8:15 p.m.). While this comes at a time when cruise lines are expanding dining options as much as possible, the cruise line says it made the decision based on feedback.

Transitioning from four sittings (5:45, 6:15, 8:00 or 8:30 PM) to two sittings (6:00 or 8:15 PM) for dinner fleet-wide by Summer 2008. Dining time will be confirmed at embarkation.

Carnival is testing an alternative program aboard two ships that allows passengers to dine anytime from 5:30 p.m. to 9:45 p.m. as long as they advise the cruise line of their preference prior to departure.

I just read an article that Carnival will begin testing a new flexible dining option with the Carnival Legend.

This is great news!!!

~~

Soon I hope!

You might find this CC article from Aug of interest

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=2687

Carnival Extends Flexible Dining Trials As we reported back in May, Carnival Cruise Lines -- one of the last holdouts for the traditional dining system -- decided to test out flexible dining by offering the option on a trial basis aboard just one ship. Well, the pilot was rolled out on Carnival Legend just two weeks ago -- and is proving so popular, Carnival has already announced it will implement a flexible dining option on a second ship: Carnival Liberty. Starting November 1, 2008, Carnival Liberty cruisers can choose to forego assigned tables and preset dining times and chow down onboard when and with whom they want.

Passengers who select flexible dining on either ship may arrive in the designated seating area during scheduled dinner hours and request a table. The lines aren't long according to industry news outlet cruise-community.com -- the average wait for a table is under 10 minutes. Cruisers who go for flexible dining may also make a reservation. Once the flexible dining program is selected, it is in effect for the duration of the cruise and cannot be changed.

So will Carnival implement flexible dining fleetwide? We don't know for sure -- Carnival spokesman Vance Gulliksen tells us that Carnival is still testing out the program and no final, far-reaching decisions have been made as of yet -- but we'll keep you posted.

Flexible dining, which exists in some form on lines including Royal Caribbean, NCL, Holland America and Princess, is a controversial topic among cruisers. Some suggest that diners who select flexible dining options sacrifice service for a system that isn't all that "flexible" -- after all, you often have to wait for a table and you must arrive within a pre-set time frame. Others welcome the chance to avoid adhering to a rigid schedule or mingling with strange tablemates. What do you think? Take our poll and join the discussion on our boards!

--by Caroline Costello, Editorial Assistant

My only concern (and hope) is that you can still get the same serving staff for all nights. I like that by the second or third night of a cruise, the staff already knows what kind of bread I want, what kind of drink I want, and what kind of tea I take after dinner.

This is great news!!!

~~

Carnival Cruise Lines has dropped its flexible dining program of four dinner seatings and switched back to two dinner seatings (6:15 p.m. and 8:15 p.m.). While this comes at a time when cruise lines are expanding dining options as much as possible, the cruise line says it made the decision based on feedback.

Transitioning from four sittings (5:45, 6:15, 8:00 or 8:30 PM) to two sittings (6:00 or 8:15 PM) for dinner fleet-wide by Summer 2008. Dining time will be confirmed at embarkation.

Carnival is testing an alternative program aboard two ships that allows passengers to dine anytime from 5:30 p.m. to 9:45 p.m. as long as they advise the cruise line of their preference prior to departure.

I hope it fails miserably on the Legend, and they scrap any further plans to roll it out.. :cool:

We tried the anytime dining option on our last Crown Princess cruise out of San Juan and loved it for that particular itinerary & ship. We also love traditional dining and would always want to have the option to choose one or the other depending upon the cruise.

Example - We usually ask to be seated at a large table so we get the chance to meet new people. On a ship like the Crown where you have several alternative fee based & free dining options plus a heavy port schedule you may find youself dining alone at a table for 10.

The Crown did not leave San Juan until 9 PM and our CC Roll Call group was scheduled to meet after muster. In order to not be rushed, we decided to try the much talked about Seafood Buffet on the first night. Add in one night at the alternative steak house, one night at the alternative Italian restaurant, one night at the wine bar with sushi and light seafood and one night when we were just too tired to make it to dinner. As you can see with a schedule like that we would have not been fair to our table mates by only showing up on the two formal nights.

We did miss the getting to know our servers and them getting to know us. If we were cruising with a family and friends, I believe I would choose traditional. That seems to be the only time we all get together at the same time and the only time we see the kids.

We LOVED it on the Legend in Sept. Did traditional late seating the first night to see how open seating was going, then swapped. No wait at all the first 2 nights, then 3-5 min. wait and on the last night 5-10 min. wait and each night we were in the same section with the same wait staff and 3 of those nights had the same table. It was great! We didn't make reservations and didn't show up at "traditional" dining times. Just went down when we were ready to eat and on our cruise it worked perfect.

The way it was explained to me is that if you have an assigned traditional seating time you have an assigned area. If you opt for the open seating they ask for your cabin # to know that area and put you there no matter when you show up. That's why sometimes there's a (very) short wait, but consistency. Again, we loved it!

I guess I am going to have to let my ignorance hang out here. How does freestyle actually work? Do you just go to the dining room whenever you want, and sit with people that might be having dessert already? Is there still the regular buffet (lido)? I don't get it. If you eat at the lido buffet, it's already freestyle dining isn't it?

I hate to see things taken away that make a cruise so special for a lot of people. I don't necessary like the dining room experience so I eat at the buffet, but others just love sitting at the same table, with the same people each night. Why would they take that away? I guess I just don't understand this.

Just off Legend and had the total choice dinning. The only thing that I did not like was that it took us at least a min of 1.5 hr ea night too finish dinner and one night it was over 2.5 hr. We went between 7 and 7:30 every night. Also had 3 different servers, so we know that it was not just a slow serving staff. It did seam that if you came later that you could get in and out a lot faster. One night a table of 4 came in sat about 45 min after our table of 4 and finished eating right with us. There was just so much lag time between courses.

They also do not take reservations anymore, they stop a month or so ago according to the head waiter.

I had the freestyle dining on the NCL Pearl last october and hated it..The service was very inconsistant and waiting to be seated was terrible...We had the anytime dining on our last Princess cruise and ended up making a reservation for every night at the same table...I like traditional dining and the waiter and ass. waiter knowing what you want to drink and getting to know them..Dennis

I've done both, Freestyle with NCL and set dining with Royal Caribbean. Here are my opinions on the pros and cons of both. This is my own opinion and others may feel differently about this.

As you wish, Freestyle dining option: PROS: Flexible, want to go one night at 6pm and the next at 8pm, you can! You can request a table for 2 every night. You can request the same waiter (may have to wait for a free table in his/her section). CONS: Could have a waitline (esp. between hours of 7-8pm), we were seated a few times with other guests that had ALREADY started their dinner (app. or salad)= Felt a little awkward, not the same waiter if you don't request the same one, so service is not as personalized.

Set dining: PROS: Guarenteed same waiter everynight who remembers your needs, no wait for a table, CONS: Either early or late setting (not guarenteed to have your preference and sometimes, not very easy to change your dinner seating time), same dinner mates everynight (could be pro or cons, depends on the dinner mates).

I was on Princess last year and tried the open dining and wasn't at all thrilled with it. Mostly because you find yourself making small talk with folks that you probably won't be sitting with @ any other time. I enjoy meeting new people, but if you're with them nightly, then everyone seems more outgoing and can be more personal.

They did a pretty good job seating people who were at the same stage of ordering, so we were never seated with anyone who was more then 1 course ahead.

Also, we were seated in different sections every night, so no "personalized" service.

I think that it'll either be really welcomed or completely tank.

As soon as we heard this option would be available on the Liberty in November, we signed up for it!

I LOVE the idea of being able to eat when I'M ready, not when the clock strikes 'diinner time', especially if you happen to be in port that day and want to sneak in a quick nap before you start your evening!

I think it'll be great!

I hope it fails miserably on the Legend, and they scrap any further plans to roll it out.. :cool:

I have to agree with you. Anytime dining will not work with any ship that has only one dining room. If you have one dedicated to anytime and one to traditional, I'm ok with that.

I guess I am going to have to let my ignorance hang out here. How does freestyle actually work? Do you just go to the dining room whenever you want, and sit with people that might be having dessert already? Is there still the regular buffet (lido)? I don't get it. If you eat at the lido buffet, it's already freestyle dining isn't it?

I hate to see things taken away that make a cruise so special for a lot of people. I don't necessary like the dining room experience so I eat at the buffet, but others just love sitting at the same table, with the same people each night. Why would they take that away? I guess I just don't understand this.

Freestyle in the main dining rooms works like most restuarants on land: You go when you want to. You tell them how many are in your party, and they seat you at an available table. You may have the option of being seated with other parties arriving at the same time, but you always have the option to eat with only your party.

The buffet, pool side grill, and room service are all included. There are also multiple specialty restaurants for an additional charge. Reservations at the specialty restaurants are recommended, but I have walked up and been seated, and I have seen others do so.

The big complaints seem to be not getting the same wait staff every night (I don't care) and waiting to be seated. I've never had a wait of more than a few mintues to be seated, but I'm sure that at some times, there may a be a longer wait.

Some people enjoy the big tables and set times, but others don't care for it at all. I meet plenty of people around the ship, and I decide for myself if I would like to have dinner with them. I won't consider a cruise that doesn't have some sort of open seating in a main dining room, so it's nice to see the major lines adapting.

I have to agree with you. Anytime dining will not work with any ship that has only one dining room. If you have one dedicated to anytime and one to traditional, I'm ok with that.

Carnival seem pleased with how flex dining has worked with just one dining room on Legend for the past 2 months. Now they want to try it on a ship with two dining room the first of Nov.

Sounds like there are some kinks, but I cant recall anything they "tested" that they didnt fully implement. So I would count on some form of Flex dining on all ships by the end of 2009.

With Flex Dining, do you have arrive with you ENTIRE group like at breakfast? Or, say, can you have eight people in your group and two of them are running late......will they make you wait until the other two arrive or go ahead and sit you at a table for eight where the others can join when they get there? That is my only concern b/c it is sometimes very difficult to get everyone together to go to the dining room at one time.

We love anytime dining on Princess for the flexibility, and we usually do not have to wait. I would like to see no reservations allowed as that is what seems to have people waiting. We usually go around 6:30 and have not had a problem getting a table but by about 7 - 7:30 there can be waits of up to 1/2 an hour.

Reservations really defeats the purpose of 'Anytime' dining.

This is great news!!!

~~

The Maitre'D on the Valor said it will be fleet wide by the end of 2009.

Reservations really defeats the purpose of 'Anytime' dining.

Not really...

Say you ship is in port until 7:00. You know it will take you 2 hours to shower and dress for dinner. You can make a reservation for 9:00 in advance.

We will only be booking cruise lines with flexible dining from now on. The Miracle will be our last and then we will probably go back to Princess. My reasons for this; I am on vacation and don't want to be on someone elses schedule. If I want a nap in the late afternoon so I can stay up later than I will do that and go to dinner later. We were on Liberty of the Seas 2 weeks ago and will not go back on Royal Caribbean. We missed dinner all but one night and ended up in the Lido Buffet for dinner which was not good at all.

I think it is very important that cruise lines offer both options. That way we can all be happy.:)

I LOVE the idea of being able to eat when I'M ready, not when the clock strikes 'diinner time', especially if you happen to be in port that day and want to sneak in a quick nap before you start your evening!

I think it'll be great!

I like the way you put this.

:D

I totally agree!!!

The Maitre'D on the Valor said it will be fleet wide by the end of 2009.

Thanks! :)

Too bad it's not earlier, thinking of booking a cruise in July :(..:D

Archived