OK ladies and gents - first cruise with baby

EricaLynn

what do I need to know?

DH and I are cruising on the Independence of the Seas in November (leaving the Friday after Thanksgiving). We're pretty seasoned cruisers ourselves (3 previous cruises), but I had a baby in March and we're taking her along with us.

Ins and outs, things I need to know, links to other threads about this same topic, etc. The good news is, we're taking his mom along with us (and I like my MIL, so that's not a problem) so we can have some adult time. Or as she warns us "I'll hand the baby back over at the end of the trip":D

She still nurses, but I'll be taking formula with us just in case (she gets both during the day while I work), and is eating stage 1 and 2 foods right now, will probably be solidly into stage 2 by the time we cruise.

We'll be in Oklahoma, flying into/out of Fort Lauderdale. Will there be a WalMart or grocery store close to the port so I can pick up diapers, etc there or will I need to bring them with me? What else am I forgetting?

There are many, many threads answering your questions. Just scroll through the first couple of pages if the search function is not working, and you will find them.

Also, go to the east coast departure board for info about the port. There are many place where you may purchase diapers, so no need to bring packages on the plane.

We took our DS on his first cruise (Freedom) when he was 8 months (he turned 9 months the last day of the cruise) so I can send you my packing list if you would like it. It is a combination of all the information I got on here and it was helpful but I did over pack a bit. I can't tell you where to buy anything as we live in FL and so we drove to the port.

My biggest thing that I can say from our experience is bring plenty of baby food with you or a travel food mill (KidCo make a great one) it was very helpful as the Windjammer would do nothing for food prep for us. I was under the impression that they would be a bit more helpful with food prep for us but was told that it was not their responsibility. A Boon Spoon is a wonderful invention for feeding on the go, we used it for the beach all the time at home and loved it on the cruise to. As for packing we packed each of his outfits in it's own Ziploc bag so I could just grab one out of the closet and didn't have to look for matching items not to mention my husband couldn't complain that he didn't know what went with what. Last of all we took a beach tent that was small enough to fit in our suitcase but is actually large enough for all of us to use, very nice if you are nursing on the beach and need a bit of privacy. Our is the AeroDome, purchased on ebay.

what do I need to know?

DH and I are cruising on the Independence of the Seas in November (leaving the Friday after Thanksgiving). We're pretty seasoned cruisers ourselves (3 previous cruises), but I had a baby in March and we're taking her along with us.

Ins and outs, things I need to know, links to other threads about this same topic, etc. The good news is, we're taking his mom along with us (and I like my MIL, so that's not a problem) so we can have some adult time. Or as she warns us "I'll hand the baby back over at the end of the trip":D

She still nurses, but I'll be taking formula with us just in case (she gets both during the day while I work), and is eating stage 1 and 2 foods right now, will probably be solidly into stage 2 by the time we cruise.

We'll be in Oklahoma, flying into/out of Fort Lauderdale. Will there be a WalMart or grocery store close to the port so I can pick up diapers, etc there or will I need to bring them with me? What else am I forgetting?

I am on the same cruise! Come over to the Meet and Mingle page, very friendly group. I only have second to reply so sorry this is short....

Go to Mapquest and put in your hotel's address, you can search "grocery stores", I think you can even enter "Target" or "Wal Mart". I just did it the other night to find grocery stores near our hotel, it gives you listings with the distance away.

what do I need to know?

I'll be on that cruise as well... can you stop by the store for me too ;) . We have 15 family members traveling with us 4 of them are children… 13 months, 2, 5, and 7. My children’s clothes are all set… now I’m working on ours. I’ll be looking out for everyone’s list as to not forget anything.

• 3 weeks later...

We have taken our son on his first cruise last March when he was 8 months old (voyager) and his second in August when he was 13 months. Have another booked for Christmas! On his first cruise we were starting to introduce table foods & found the buffets great for him. We could always get a steamed veggie, fruit & bread. Two things I was glad we brought were 1) a small blow up pool- can be used on the pool deck for him to sit and play next to our lounge chair & could be used in the shower to make a bathtub for him and 2)umbrella stroller- not near as bulky as his regular stroller to get around the ship (didn't feel like we took up the whole elevator either). Just thought of one other thing- took a container of disenfecting wipes to wipe down the cabin since he touches everything!

We took our DS on his first cruise (Freedom) when he was 8 months (he turned 9 months the last day of the cruise) so I can send you my packing list if you would like it. It is a combination of all the information I got on here and it was helpful but I did over pack a bit. I can't tell you where to buy anything as we live in FL and so we drove to the port.

My biggest thing that I can say from our experience is bring plenty of baby food with you or a travel food mill (KidCo make a great one) it was very helpful as the Windjammer would do nothing for food prep for us. I was under the impression that they would be a bit more helpful with food prep for us but was told that it was not their responsibility. A Boon Spoon is a wonderful invention for feeding on the go, we used it for the beach all the time at home and loved it on the cruise to. As for packing we packed each of his outfits in it's own Ziploc bag so I could just grab one out of the closet and didn't have to look for matching items not to mention my husband couldn't complain that he didn't know what went with what. Last of all we took a beach tent that was small enough to fit in our suitcase but is actually large enough for all of us to use, very nice if you are nursing on the beach and need a bit of privacy. Our is the AeroDome, purchased on ebay.

You have to put your request in for soft foods, with dining services, prior to the cruise. Once on board you then set up your menu with your head waiter.

I'm not surprised that the staff in the windjammer was ill prepared to accommodate your requests. From my experience, dining services are the only people whom accommodate special food requests. The food will come straight from the kitchen.

You have to put your request in for soft foods, with dining services, prior to the cruise. Once on board you then set up your menu with your head waiter.

I'm not surprised that the staff in the windjammer was ill prepared to accommodate your requests. From my experience, dining services are the only people whom accommodate special food requests. The food will come straight from the kitchen.

I was sort of expecting Windjammer to act as they did but had been told by my travel agent that they would be helpful here as well as the dining room when we made our special request before the cruise. We took the Food Mill because I figured she was wrong and rightly so. For us not a huge deal, he wasn't eating much solids at that point anyway mostly baby food and crackers so the Food Mill was better for me to deal with.

We took our DS at 9 months on the Norway. My main recollection is the boarding with the backpack full of babyfood jars, formula, etc. It weighed a ton! We , too, brought my MIL and it worked out great. DW and I were able to get away after DS and MIL went to bed. DS was well behaved most of the time and when whe wasn't, one of us brought him back to the room so the rest of the passengers needn't have to listen. It worked out fine. Just keep flexible. As far as a list of stuff, it was 15 years ago for us. All I remember is that the bags were heavy!

Enjoy your cruise and , above all, stay flexible.

:rolleyes:

Archived