HELP-Vatican Tour Cancelled for Saturday!!!

We were booked with AngelToursRome for a Saturday afternoon Vatican tour and just found out that it has been cancelled due to the Vatican closing at 1:00 on Saturday. We fly out tomorrow and really wanted to see the Vatican. We can go on Monday morning if anyone can point me to a guide that may be available. Angel Tours has one at 9:30 but we would like to go earlier if at all possible. Our ship departs Monday afternon.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Thanks in advance

We did not use a guide - did it ourselves on the World Tourism "free" day which was a Saturday. The early morning queue moved fairly well once the doors opened. We hired audio guides which we thought were excellent. However we found that we probably spent too much time trying to look at everything because by the time we got to the Sistine Chapel we were really quite tired and thirsty so I felt we didn't get to appreciate fully the SC - the main reason for us being there. If I were to do it again I'd be a "Sistine Chapel Rocket"! (see Tripadvisor - Rome forum)

If you can't get a guide - don't stress - the audio guide is very good and you can stop at any item you are interested in learning more about.

No personal experience as I am doing it on my own as well, but many mnay people on these boards speak highly of romeinlimo dot com. You might try them. When I was there early (10ish) last year the lines were horrendous--so keep that in mind.

good luck!

Cathy

Mondays are not a good day to go early. It tends to be very crowded in the morning. If you can find a tour that will allow you to "skip the line," that will probably be your best bet if you are set on seeing it early.

Context Rome has a 9:00 am tour on Monday with 2 spaces left. They do small group tours (6 people) and are excellent. This tour covers both the Vatican Museum and St. Peters. Here's a link:

http://www.contexttravel.com/rome/tours/arte-vaticana-%28with-reservation%29/STR4220/?cmd=&arrival_date_mod=10/20/08&departure_date_mod=10/20/08&quantity=2&tour_id=28531

Great! When I saw your post that was the first thing that came to mind since I have read so many glowing reviews. We were fortunate to be accepted into the Vatican's own tour while we are there--but I had researched it and marked on my calendar for exactly one month ahead and calculated the time difference so my request would be one of the first they received!! But it worked and we are very excited to go back.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Cathy

Archived