Is it normal for Celebrity to change your cabin without notifying you or TA?

cvanhorn

Today one of the people on our rollcall checked her online reservation (Celebrity Mercury Nov 6th) and cabin had changed from an inside to an oceanview. Checked mine, and it also had gone from an inside to an oceanview, same deck, closer to midship. GREAT! Just wondering if they do this much without notifying anyone? What about new luggage tags??

Today one of the people on our rollcall checked her online reservation (Celebrity Mercury Nov 6th) and cabin had changed from an inside to an oceanview. Checked mine, and it also had gone from an inside to an oceanview, same deck, closer to midship. GREAT! Just wondering if they do this much without notifying anyone? What about new luggage tags??

I wouldn't say this is common. Celebrity ships sail full or nearly full most of the time. My experience has been Celebrity notifies the agent of such changes. The client is usually given a chance to decline (sometimes there is a reason to do so such as location preference or traveling with others.) You should make sure to change your luggage tags at the pier. With your sailing date being so close there may not be enough time to send out new. Your TA may be able to print new tags for you. Some have the blank templates for just such a situation. Don't be upset if they don't however. You will have the opportunity to fix the tags prior to turning over your luggage.

Hopefully this is a sign that your cruise is going to be better than expected!! Enjoy!

I'm the one that notified the Nov. 6 Mercury cc folks to check their room status after I found that we had been upgraded from an inside room to a deluxe ocean view. My TA was pretty surprised she had not been notified and called to verify our room. They said it was correct and to get new tags at the pier. I'm assuming our ship is not full and that is why they are moving folks. I'm thrilled since this is my first Celebrity cruise.

Debr

Like the tooth fairy, the upgrade fairy is not seen and in my case, not heard as well. I was looking at my reservation one day and found they upgraded me from an OV to a veranda room. My TA didn't wasn't informed and if I didn't look, I would have been shocked at the dock (and annoyed because my luggage tags would have been wrong).

From what I now understand, it's not all that common a blessing so let's enjoy our good fortune!

A few years ago I had 8166 (corner aft cabin) on the Millennium and they "upgraded me" without my consent to a 2b cabin. I went ballistic and forced them to give me back 8166. Now I instruct my TA to advise them NO Upgrades without my authorization.

We were visited by the upgrade fairy a few years back and our T/A was not notified. At check-in we asked if our luggage would find its way to our newly assigned cabin and was assured that there would be no problem.

Our luggage didn't arrive by next morning so we chatted with our cabin steward who located it at the original cabin and had it brought to us.

A few years ago I had 8166 (corner aft cabin) on the Millennium and they "upgraded me" without my consent to a 2b cabin. I went ballistic and forced them to give me back 8166. Now I instruct my TA to advise them NO Upgrades without my authorization.

How could that be considered an upgrade? Corner FV to a 2B??? Someone was on drugs!! the FV's are way more expensive than the 2B's--plus being much better cabins. Weird.

Yes! We had 4 cabin changes on a Celebrity cruise. When we got to the port at check in, they changed it again. Then a couple days later we were offered a better cabin because they had to do some work on the one we were in! I said give me 20 minutes to pack!

Did any or all of you book some type of guaranteed cabin or had you specifically booked a certain cabin?

When I originally booked the OV cabin, I selected a specific cabin but it wasn't anything special. I did not use the GTY room.

On our first Celebrity cruise which was on the Constellation in 04, we showed up at the checkin and the first two times that the agent checked by the room number, she just shook her head and then tried it by our name and discovered that we had been upgraded to a CC from a 2A.

When our luggage did not arrive at our room within a few hours we just went to the room that we thought that we had and there was our luggage in front of the door. There was a Do not Distrub sign on the door as well as the luggage for the new prople in the room. They probably had an overnight flight and we trying to sleep. We just took ours back to our cabin.

My thoughts are that maybe the cabin was given to someone who wanted the connecting room and that is why we were moved. It was a good move from the bow area to midship which is something that we really enjoy. Our TA knew nothing about it.

Mary

Cathycruises:

A few years ago the aft corner cabins were considered a Cat #3. So they thought a Cat. 2A was an upgrade from a Cat. 3. But even so, I will not let them upgrade me without my consent.

Say you had a very nice cabin mid-ship and they wanted to move you one deck up to a cabin very far forward. I might not accept. While they might think one deck higher is an upgrade, I may not.

Did any or all of you book some type of guaranteed cabin or had you specifically booked a certain cabin?

This is my first Celebrity cruise (Nov. 6 - Mercury to Hawaii) which I booked over a year ago and I picked my inside room. I was upgraded to a deluxe oceanview room on the same floor (Panorama) mid ship. I'm a happy camper!

Debr

This is my first Celebrity cruise (Nov. 6 - Mercury to Hawaii) which I booked over a year ago and I picked my inside room. I was upgraded to a deluxe oceanview room on the same floor (Panorama) mid ship. I'm a happy camper!

Debr

Debr, I would be a happy camper too! Congrats on your upgrade!

Laura

Archived