What to wear on a formal night...

chyanmor

What to wear on a formal night....  

77 members have voted

1. 1. What to wear on a formal night....

• White Jacket, Black Shirt, White Bow tie, Black Trousers
    • White Jacket, White Shirt, Black Bow tie, Black Trousers
    • White Jacket, Black Shirt, Coloured Bow tie, Black Trousers
    • Black Jacket, White Shirt, Black Bow tie, Black Trousers
    • Black Jacket, White Shirt, Coloured Bow tie, Black Trousers

I like black jacket, black shirt and coloured bow tie...

I think white jacket, black shirt and white bow ties look very amusing...puts me in mind of an ice cream man...:eek:

The most important thing in my opinion, is that the mans bow tie is the exact same colour as the ladies dress...

Karenx

oopps....just re-read the options and saw the mention of trousers....surely to goodness, (with the exception of kilts and tartan trews), nobody would dream of wearing trousers any other colour than black!!!

Its a formal night...yes???....not a round of golf!!!!

My husband always wears white jacket, white shirt, black trousers, burgundy bow tie with burgundy cummerbund. He looks super!

That sounds very nice Jean...tasteful...

I haven't quite persuaded my husband to buy a white/cream jacket yet..although I have managed to get him to buy a black dress shirt and a linen suit for our next cruise....(obviously not to be worn on same night;) )

Karen

• 1 month later...
Glad you enjoyed your holiday Karen. Next time try and get hubby to wear the kilt, I bet once he trys he will never go back to trousers.

MY hubby is half Scottish (his mum was born in Kilmarnock)...he did go through a phase a few years back when we first started cruising, saying he wanted to buy a dress kilt for formal nights, but he never followed up on it..

Good decision or bad decision??.....we'll never know....

I like the kilts, but I think the women's formal dress should at least try and match with some of the kilts colours!!

I saw some shocking colour clashes on Oceana:eek:

We always make sure that hubby's bow tie and cumberband is the same colour as my dress..

Karenx

You see Karen I would never think of matching what I wear with said hubby. It shows attention to detail which is what I like. I saw plenty of fabulous dress's on my last holiday all plunging necklines and bold colours. Its great to see the young people makeing an effort.

• 2 weeks later...

Several posts in this thread have been removed for rather intemperate language.

Please avoid disparagement when you post comments on this or any other topic on Cruise Critic. The poll is a fair one. Opinions are like noses...everyone has one, no two are the same and there's no such thing as an incorrect nose.

For more information about Cruise Critic's posting standards, please click here:

Cruise Critic Community Guidelines

If you are going to remove every post that as intemperate language in it, your not going to have much of a messageboard left. How do you define whats intemperate. I guess just about any sentence written here or in various publications contains intemperate language what ever that is. By removeing them it leaves everybody in the dark, much better to leave them and highlight them. At least then everybody would know what was acceptable, and what was not.

If you are going to remove every post that as intemperate language in it, your not going to have much of a messageboard left. How do you define whats intemperate. I guess just about any sentence written here or in various publications contains intemperate language what ever that is. By removeing them it leaves everybody in the dark, much better to leave them and highlight them. At least then everybody would know what was acceptable, and what was not.

Here's the definition to which I left a link in the post:

Harassment, Flaming, Disruption and Trolls.

The harassment of our members is not allowed.

Cruise Critic is committed to providing an online environment that is free from these types of harassing postings. Please, don't attack another poster or group of posters. Do not harass, threaten, embarrass, or do anything else to another member that is unwanted. This means: don't say bad things about them, don't keep sending them unwanted Instant Message notes, don't attack their race, heritage, or their sexual orientation, etc. If you disagree with someone, respond to the subject, not the person. Postings of this nature will be removed from the boards.

Many of the removed posts referred to other members with relatively mild terms such as "Snob," "Cad," and the like while others were a bit more nasty. Leaving them posted would serve no purpose other than to encourage more such posts.

If you want to use words that are banned on this site, go to P&O main forum site, they will accept anything, even having a go at fellow posters. The words that are banned on this site are mild in comparison to those used on P&O site. It gets very exciting at times, but then again most of the posters on that site are British!

What I don't understand is why the posts on this thread have been removed while far worst ones are left on elsewhere. Most noteably on the " Wife will be pregant while crusing " thread, where there is at least one post which is offensive and nasty by anybodys standard.

If you want to use words that are banned on this site, go to P&O main forum site, they will accept anything, even having a go at fellow posters. The words that are banned on this site are mild in comparison to those used on P&O site. It gets very exciting at times, but then again most of the posters on that site are British!

Sorry, but I think you misunderstood my post.

The issue is not using "banned" words, the issue is the personal attacks on other members, which we do not accept.

If person A says he/she prefers a tuxedo with a black bow tie on top of a white ruffle shirt, then person B posts a reply that says, "You, sir, are a callous bastard elitist snob. I'll wear whatever I please whenever I please." We consider that to be disparaging and personal and that reply post will be removed.

If person B posts a reply that says, instead, "I disagree and feel that a tuxedo with black tie and white ruffles is elitist and snobbish. A person on holiday should wear whatever he/she wants and not follow an arbitrary dress code." That post is fine because it is not disparaging another member; it is expressing a personal opinion about the subject.

What I don't understand is why the posts on this thread have been removed while far worst ones are left on elsewhere. Most noteably on the " Wife will be pregant while crusing " thread, where there is at least one post which is offensive and nasty by anybodys standard.

If a post is considered offensive and nasty, we want to know your thoughts. Please use the alert system to address such posts. To file an alert, look for the report.gif icon in the upper right of every post, click it, insert a summary of your concerns, and send it on. We'll address it quickly.

Thanks for the reply Walt. Just a suggestion as regards posts being deleted for inapropiate language and other things outlined above. Would it not be possible for the posters to decide via the alert system what is at acceptable or not acceptable. Then it could be self policeing with the posters haveing the final decision about language and offensive posts.

Thanks for the reply Walt. Just a suggestion as regards posts being deleted for inapropiate language and other things outlined above. Would it not be possible for the posters to decide via the alert system what is at acceptable or not acceptable. Then it could be self policeing with the posters haveing the final decision about language and offensive posts.

I think that is already what happens - If I find something unpleasant, unfriendly etc, I hit the report button, say why & then if the host agrees they remove it.

They can't read everything (some hosts are hosts on several boards) & have to rely on the members of the board to identify to them what they consider problem posts.

Having been on boards where there is no moderation, I think they (most of the time :D) have it about right on Cruise Critic. The only improvement I could think of would be to have more host cover sometimes - I'm not sure in which timezone Host Walt is based, or if there is backup cover when he isn't available, or even if the hosts are volunteers doing this in their own time - but sometimes it can take a while for a post to be removed & the thread can get very nasty in the meantime.

Karen

Archived