Oosterdam Cat G - Partially Obstructed View

arobryn

Hi all - I'm going to be booking my first cruise this week and had a question about the 'partially obstructed views' (category G) on ms Oosterdam.

Just how obstructed are they?

This is my first cruise and I'm trying not to go big - it may seem like an odd way to look at it, but I don't want my first cruise to be so grand that all the rest seem mediocre. However, that said I've let myself skip the inside cabins and I'm avoiding Carnival. I'm also not doing the fully obstructed views - seemed sort of anticlimactic to get a window, but not be able to see anything.

Thanks!

~ L'aura

I presume you're on Upper Promenade? I was in such a cabin on the Noordam. Since I'm used to inside cabins, I thought it was great having any view at all!

You will have floor to ceiling windows which overlook the lifeboats. You should be able to see some sea between the boats, as well as sky. You will get plenty of natural light, as well as be able to get an idea what the weather is like.

Have a great first cruise. Come back and tell us all about it. And tell us, too, where your second cruise is going to! :D

But sometimes you get lucky! This is the view from "fully obstructed" H4130 on the Eurodam. I believe H4127 would be the mirror image.

I don't think there are any "fully obstructed" on the Oosterdam would be this good, but any of the Gs at the stern of the lifeboats would be pretty decent. Try for 4063, 4064, 4071, 4072, 4087, or 4088.

Click to enlarge

H4130.jpg.2989b29767f73d972d8cfb885980929c.jpg

I had a 'partially obstructed view' cabin on the Oosterdam (4120). Had the tail end of the lifeboat in front of my cabin, but it never really bothered me.

Big plusses for the obstructed view cabins: huge floor to ceiling window lets in far more light than a traditional oceanview cabin. Also, the location on the Upper Promenade Deck is ideal as you have the ship's biggest balcony one deck below you: the promenade deck.

I love my balcony cabins, but I would gladly book an obstructed oceanview cabin again. On our recent QM2 cruise, we had a bit of both: an obstructed balcony cabin! :)

Just a quick update - many thanks to you all! I just booked our cruise and went with the Cat G rooms with my parents just three rooms away. We don't get to see Dad as often as we'd like so this will be a WONDERFUL way to get in some quality time! I called them after booking and they're VERY happily surprised to have a window AND have our rooms close!

Thanks, again, for the advice!

I have to admit, though, it was VERY tempting to go for a balcony. It would only cost another $100 each room, but we'd have had to go "guaranteed"

and I really wanted to be sure our rooms were close to eachother. NEXT cruise is balcony, though!

~ L'aura

Just a quick update - many thanks to you all! I just booked our cruise and went with the Cat G rooms with my parents just three rooms away. We don't get to see Dad as often as we'd like so this will be a WONDERFUL way to get in some quality time! I called them after booking and they're VERY happily surprised to have a window AND have our rooms close!

Thanks, again, for the advice!

I have to admit, though, it was VERY tempting to go for a balcony. It would only cost another $100 each room, but we'd have had to go "guaranteed"

and I really wanted to be sure our rooms were close to eachother. NEXT cruise is balcony, though!

~ L'aura

Good for you! We really enjoy sailing with our extended family members. As my parents get older, we really relish every bit of time we get to spend with them, especially on a cruise where your beds are made, your meals cooked, etc. You just get to relax and spend quality time together.

Next up for us with family will be the Westerdam in April. My sister and BIL and their 8-year-old twins and my parents will be joining us. I can't wait.

Enjoy your cruise and remember, although a balcony is wonderful, you will have a memorable vacation regardless.

Herb:

The photo link didn't work for me. We plan to book a G for our next cruise so I was hoping to see your photo.

hopefully this time the link will work.... :)

http://render1.snapfish.com/render2/is=Yup6aQQ%7C%3Dup6RKKt%3AxxWtUq4P0fX7RPfr%3DUofrj7t%3DzrRfDUX%3AeQaQxg%3Dr%3F87KR6xqpxQQQ0xPePx0PoxQQQ0PeP0PonlQqpfVtB%3F*KUp7BHSHqqy7XH6gXPJ0%7CRup6Gnn%7C/of=50,590,441

• 4 months later...

Archived