2 night cruises ... good intro to cruising?

My mother & mother-in-law are reluctant to cruise as they remember what it was like when they came to Australia as migrants back in the late 1950's. Both suffered terrible sea sickness, stayed in their cabins for days on end & for obvious reasons didn't have a good time.

I was thinking it may be a good idea to first take them both on a 2 night cruise to nowhere. Would entertainment still be provided on a 2 night cruise? Would both nights be casual dining or would one be a formal night? Would there still be activities for them to see/participate in?

Any info would be great.

Thanks,

PAC:)

My mother & mother-in-law are reluctant to cruise as they remember what it was like when they came to Australia as migrants back in the late 1950's. Both suffered terrible sea sickness, stayed in their cabins for days on end & for obvious reasons didn't have a good time.

I was thinking it may be a good idea to first take them both on a 2 night cruise to nowhere. Would entertainment still be provided on a 2 night cruise? Would both nights be casual dining or would one be a formal night? Would there still be activities for them to see/participate in?

Any info would be great.

Thanks,

PAC:)

Hi PAC,

We have booked on a 2 nighter from Brissie to Sydney next June on Dawn Princess. We are expecting all the usual amenities, including after dinner shows, bingo, staff demonstrations etc. I am guessing there will be one formal night for Dawn Princess, but unsure of Pacific Dawn.

I guess these are a good test for sea legs. These ships are much larger and more stable than those in the 50's and the seasick meds are more available.

We can't get away for weeks at a time very often, so love the idea of these shorty cruises to relive the experience and keep it fresh.

Hi Pac,

If ever you see any 2 or 3 night sectors advertised I would book as soon as you can as they are a great way for people to try cruising with the result often being to book a longer cruise.

We have a two nighter in Feb, Adelaide to Melbourne on Arcadia's Maiden World Voyage and I expect on the full day at sea there will be a whole range of things to do.

You could check with your TA for availability from Melbourne to Sydney, I know that for the sector I am on it is now waitlist only.

Hi Pac,

If ever you see any 2 or 3 night sectors advertised I would book as soon as you can as they are a great way for people to try cruising with the result often being to book a longer cruise.

We have a two nighter in Feb, Adelaide to Melbourne on Arcadia's Maiden World Voyage and I expect on the full day at sea there will be a whole range of things to do.

You could check with your TA for availability from Melbourne to Sydney, I know that for the sector I am on it is now waitlist only.

Hi Izzy,

Pacific Dawn, Sun & Dawn Princess are selling complete sampler relocation cruises or cruises to nowhere.

Availability differs to the short segments on P&O UK or Cunard, as they are booking the whole ship rather than leftover cabins. We booked on Dawn Princess in May, and there is still availability in all categories 5 months later.

The next 2 nighter on Sun Princess from Melbourne to Sydney in March also has plenty of cabins left, and that has been on sale for close to a year.

Hi,

Earlier this year we did two 2-night cruises on the Pacific Sun, both as back to back with a 12-night cruise. As Pac Sun and Pac Dawn are both P & O, I imagine things would be fairly similar.

There was a full range of activities with probably a bit more offered in the single day at sea than you would have in a normal cruise. One night was an optional formal night. It would be a good way for your family to see what cruising is all about, rather than the long-distance sea journey that they undertook as children.:):)

The 2-night cruises are a great experience, and certainly a good introduction for cruising. They're a bit like a real cruise on speed... They certainly cram a lot more into the 1 sea day of the cruise than they do on an ordinary sea day as they try and give a sample of as many of the activities you get on a cruise as they can fit in.

For experienced cruisers it's a strange experience to wake up on the first morning of the cruise knowning it's the last day of the cruise and soon after recieving your disembarkation details!

They might find it a bit rushed...sit them down with the videos etc and perhaps read some of the reviews...as for seasickness lots of threads with great information re cures. However any day at sea is a good day for me!

My husband used to get seasick on a ferry tied to the wharf now he is contemplating a world cruise...you do get better and the cures do work.:D

I was thinking it may be a good idea to first take them both on a 2 night cruise to nowhere.

Hi PAC,

By 'cruise to nowhere', do you mean one of those that return to the same port it departs from (eg 3 nights Sydney - nowhere - Sydney)? 'Cause I imagine those ones would just be "booze" cruises, wouldn't they?

Cheers.

Hi PAC,

By 'cruise to nowhere', do you mean one of those that return to the same port it departs from (eg 3 nights Sydney - nowhere - Sydney)? 'Cause I imagine those ones would just be "booze" cruises, wouldn't they?

Cheers.

Thank you all for your replies! I'm seriously considering just buying them a ticket each as a Christmas present so they'll have no choice but to go. Should they not like it then they're only on the ship for 2 nights, but I'm hoping they enjoy it & realise they've been worried all this time for nothing.

And yes moojar, I was referring to the Sydney - nowhere - Sydney 2 night cruises as I saw them in the latest brochure. But I do hope they're not "booze" cruises???

A little worried PAC:o

We are doing a 2 nighter on the Oriana from Sydney to Brisbane. It only cost us $299 each for a twin share cabin. It's a segment of their world tour. That may be an option rather than a booze cruise to nowhere!

Cheers,

Charmain:)

Thanks for that Chaz,

Never thought about doing a segment of a cruise ... sounds better than a cruise to nowhere.

Cheers,

Maria:)

Archived