How big a table?

CMDE

We have been on Celebrity once, for our first cruise, and had a large table for 10, which was nice since our niece, who worked on the ship, could join us for dinner, since it was such a large table.

Since then we have been on Princess (anytime dining - where we always got a 2 seater), Holland (where we were seated with different people every night, which was sometimes lots of fun and sometimes dull) and now we are going on a 14 night Panama Canal cruise with fixed seating. So my question is, should we go with a very large table (10) or maybe go with something a bit more intimate where we could to know people.

What has been your experience?

We have been on Celebrity once, for our first cruise, and had a large table for 10, which was nice since our niece, who worked on the ship, could join us for dinner, since it was such a large table.

Since then we have been on Princess (anytime dining - where we always got a 2 seater), Holland (where we were seated with different people every night, which was sometimes lots of fun and sometimes dull) and now we are going on a 14 night Panama Canal cruise with fixed seating. So my question is, should we go with a very large table (10) or maybe go with something a bit more intimate where we could to know people.

What has been your experience?

Hi CMDE :)

When my husband and I take a cruise by ourselves we prefer a table for six because it is easy for all six people to talk to each other.

However, when we are traveling with another couple we usually ask for a table for eight because it can be awkward for the third couple to dine with four people who know each other well if there is no one else at the table.

Hi CMDE :)

When my husband and I take a cruise by ourselves we prefer a table for six because it is easy for all six people to talk to each other.

However, when we are traveling with another couple we usually ask for a table for eight because it can be awkward for the third couple to dine with four people who know each other well if there is no one else at the table.

We always ask for a table for eight when traveling by ourselves for just that reason. If traveling with another couple we get a table for the four of us.

DH & I eat alone every night, so when we go on a cruise, we want a change of pace. On our last three cruises (all on =X=), we have been seated at tables of 8.

On our first cruise, we had to beg for a table of eight and the M'D reluctantly moved us to a table already occupied by two couples each traveling with their college aged daughter. It worked out wonderfully.

Our second and third cruise worked out equally as well. Dinner was the highlight of the day. The table was full every night. We were always among the last to leave the dining room--oh, wait, maybe that was because the real conversation didn't start until the room started to empty and we could hear one another.

All kidding aside, I am amazed at how they manage find us such compatible table-mates time after time. Still haven't met the table-mate from hell I've read so much about. Knock on wood.

We prefer a large table for a number of reasons, one being, it allows us to meet and share experiences with others. Rarely have we met anyone who we didn't enjoy their company at dinner. On those few occassions, by the end of the cruise everyone was having a great time together. For the most part, we all cruise for basically the same reasons.

Our upcoming cruise finds us sitting with friends and family (3x10 tables). This will be just fine. We'll meet those friends we haven't met yet at other venues onboard :D .

Barry

We have been seated at a table for 10 several times - and have gotten to know our tablemates well. The reason - we never sit at the same place at that table each night. By changing seats around the table, over the course of the cruise, we have gotten to talk and get to know each couple.

We too prefer large tables - a table for 8 at a minimum. That way, you are almost sure to click with at least one couple. With 6 you might end up with two couples who are traveling together and you are the odd couple out - which has happened to us a couple of times.

We usually have no problem getting assigned to a large table. The only times we have had a problem was a week cruise over a holiday like Christmas or Thanksgiving when larger extended family groups cruise and take up all the large tables.

DH & I eat alone every night, so when we go on a cruise, we want a change of pace. On our last three cruises (all on =X=), we have been seated at tables of 8.

On our first cruise, we had to beg for a table of eight and the M'D reluctantly moved us to a table already occupied by two couples each traveling with their college aged daughter. It worked out wonderfully.

Our second and third cruise worked out equally as well. Dinner was the highlight of the day. The table was full every night. We were always among the last to leave the dining room--oh, wait, maybe that was because the real conversation didn't start until the room started to empty and we could hear one another.

All kidding aside, I am amazed at how they manage find us such compatible table-mates time after time. Still haven't met the table-mate from hell I've read so much about. Knock on wood.

I agree with this post 100%--always have great tablemates and never have figured out how the cruise lines do it! Last cruise I was just sure my number was up and this would be the cruise where we ended up with the complete duds--we got the best tablemates ever, one couple from Peru, one from Nicaragua and one from England--and had a ball. We were also among the very last to leave the dining room each night!

We have requested a table for 8 again this upcoming cruise--and I have high hopes!

Cathy

This is something you may want to do. You can link up your reservations with other passengers (roll call members on your cruise) and have them seated at your table. Last year dh and I and my sis and bil were cruising and two couples from our roll call asked if anyone would link up with them since they were traveling alone. We linked their reservation numbers and they linked ours to theirs and they were seated at our table. It was WONDERFUL! We had a blast the whole cruise.

We have had good to excellent experiences sitting at a large table. However on our cruise last November to Hawaii, we found ourselves at a large (12) table - slightly cramped and dining with 8 people who were travelling together and who insisted on sitting at the same place every evening - therefore spent most of our time talking to the other couple. That spoiled it for us as we had such a fantastic time the previous cruise a Transatlantic cruise with 4 fun-loving interesting couples - we switched seats each evening and had great conversation for the 13 day cruise - as other posters have stated closing the dining room each evening. So kind of luck of the draw I guess.

We since cruised Anytime Dining on Princess and loved our table for two each evening. Our next cruise is with one of our daughters and thinking of asking for a small table once again.

My wife and I prefer a table for six. We like meeting other couples, but a table for ten is too large. We too have been very fortunate with our tablemates.

On our recent Med cruise we were assigned a 6-seater and only two Texan ladies appeared the first night.

Meanwhile, we had met some other folks that we really wanted to dine with, so we got the Maitre'd to assign us to an 8-seater, which he did from the 2nd night. However, he messed up slightly and got another couple included as well, so we were 10 at a table for 8 and were assured that he did not have any 10-seaters available.

The 3rd night, we found that we were at a larger oval table, comfortably seating 10 of us. He told us that he had got the workshop to put it together for us. I still don't know if he was having us on or if that really was the case.

We did however enjoy every single evening at our "united nations" table, with couples from the USA, Ireland, UK and Australia, as well as ourselves.

Bottom line is that I think the bigger the table, the better chance of finding people that you can enjoy dinner with.

Regards

Roy

We always ask for a table of 6 or larger. One time, we were seated at a table for 4. The other couple was not very social and we found we had nothing in common. Made for some uncomfortable dining. Fortunately, it was a short cruise, so we did the best we could. Had it been a longer cruise, we would have asked to have been moved to another table.

We have had a table for 2 a couple times. Once was a Mediteranian cruise and it turned out to be nice because we were on excursions all the time and usually ended up with the same people on the excursions so it gave us some down time at dinner. Usually we are at a table for 8. Everyone can seem to talk at a table for 8. When you get up to 10 it seems to big. We had 6 one time and the only people who showed up were us and another couple. The other two people were traveling alone and came once on different nights. Had a great time but it's an example of how a table can shrink. The table behind us was for 10 and only 2 showed up the entire cruise. I always ask for a table for 8 if I have that choice.

It will probably take a little longer with a larger table to get through dinner but what really slows it down is when people constantly come late to dinner. It throws everthing off. I have also seen where the larger table seemed to take more of the waiters time and the smaller table was much slower.

If it makes a difference in your decision a Panama Canal cruise will more than likely be an older crowd.

we always have dinner at a table for 8. i am amazed at what agreat job the maitre d's do at seating folks of the same age group together.

we are usually alone and 8 seems to work for us. as another poster has said a 6 could be difficult if the other four pax are together and ignore you.

in all but one of our several cruises we have met and enjoyed dining with great people.

in our one unfortunate experience, the maitre d moved us to another table immediately and without any questions whatsoever.

at tables for 8 we have never had a problem hearing or getting to know our tablemates and we have generally switched seats most nights so everyone sits beside everone else once or twice

Archived