Travel Insurance on Australian Coast Cruises

chaz cruiser

Hi All,

I am looking to get travel insurance for our two night cruise on the Oriana in February. I asked an online insurance company if I needed Australia or South Pacific cover and have been informed that they do not cover medical expenses while the ship is in Australian Waters??? I asked them if this is because we are covered by Medicare and was told I need to check with the cruise company. So I decided to do the next best thing & ask here!!

Has anyone had experience with travel insurance on Australian coastal cruises? Are we covered by Medicare when in Australian waters? Or do I just need to use a different insurance company?

Thanks,

Charmain:)

Such a good question!

I had a similar dilemna as I am doing a quicky next month.... have never normally taken any insurance for any land Aussie travel I have done...but what if....?

Finally I decided to pay everything on a credit card I have that offers "free" travel insurance...it's worth looking into

You are NOT covered bt Medicare for Australian Coastal Cruises. We got "Pacific" grade travel insurance from Mondial (online insurance) We didn't have to claim but even if you need the onboard Dr for a seasick injection you are covered. We would never go without cover.

Hi All,

I am looking to get travel insurance for our two night cruise on the Oriana in February. I asked an online insurance company if I needed Australia or South Pacific cover and have been informed that they do not cover medical expenses while the ship is in Australian Waters??? I asked them if this is because we are covered by Medicare and was told I need to check with the cruise company. So I decided to do the next best thing & ask here!!

Has anyone had experience with travel insurance on Australian coastal cruises? Are we covered by Medicare when in Australian waters? Or do I just need to use a different insurance company?

Thanks,

Hi Chaz,

No cheap alternative here.

Medicare does not cover for onboard medical, and the South Pacific cover you need will cover you for a lot of extras you wont use.

If you are planning more cruises, you might get more value for an annual policy - that also covers for domestic travel too.

Hi All,

... I asked an online insurance company if I needed Australia or South Pacific cover and have been informed that they do not cover medical expenses while the ship is in Australian Waters???

Thanks,

Wow! That's a bit scary if they won't cover you at all! I know you are not covered by Medicare as the Doctors on ships are not usually Australian registered.

We shop for travel insurances policies prior to any holiday and have done coastal cruises in the past. We have been told we need to take out a similar policy to what you would take for a normal South Pacific cruise.

Archived