internet pricing ...

XTEACH281

Quick questions ...received our docs yesterday :D and saw our Oceania email addresses and the note that incoming email has a $2 charge...does this just apply to that Oceania address ? If I go into my Yahoo email acct ---will I be charged there for each opened and then for each sent ?

Thanks in advance....

Susan,

The access to yahoo can be very frustrating. Sometimes there's no satellite reception, perhaps more uncertain since we're spending so many days at sea , half of them in Atlantic. My understanding of speed of internet onboard ship is inversely proportional to number of people using it, which for many days I'm afraid it will be SLOW. You may find yourself waiting many minutes before you can get onto yahoo.( that was my experience on O , Istanbul to Barcelona, going to yahoo) while the meter is running( coupled with O's higher than industry standard internet rate this creates a slight sense of annoyance) plus wasting our valuable play time!( should you be in that mode at that moment)

Using the ship's e-mail allows you lots of time to read and compose, if spending money wisely is your preference. Beware though the $2 charge applies to each in and out, therefore copying to a second recepient will cost you another 2 bucks! I found that out afterwards on my bill.:o

Another advantage of using the ship's email is you can still compose even when the satellite is " down", your email will be sent out once reception resumes.

Tak

Yes, contact your provider.

But a quick rule of thumb seems to be that phones that operate with removable sim cards work in Europe and those that are hard wired don't work in Europe. Usually $1 per minute within country and $2/min to NA. Still cheaper than buying a plan if you don't use it a lot.

I usually spend around $60-100 per trip and a plan from my provider is over $100. And that was also true for a trip to Kenya.

Mo

Archived