Jones Act, diembarking in Mexico

tracruise

If I'm on a cruise out of Los Angeles and wanted to stay in the last port, Puerta Vallarta, can we arrange with the cruise lines to get clearance and do immigration and customs to stay on shore a few extra days? We'd be flying back ourselves to LA.

The Jones Act would not have anything to do with this. You are talking about getting off in another country, so their laws would apply. You need to talk to your TA or the cruise line you are booked with or thinking about booking.

The Jones act(actually the passenger vessel service act), only covers embarking and getting off at( a different) US ports. It doesn't cover getting on or off at Foreign ports at all. As others have said contact your cruise line(through your TA if you have one) and see what they tell you. They just need to make arrangements with the port authorities to screen you. Remember if you are flying back from Mexico you need a passport.

I called NCL they said no, cannot get off in PV. I thought I had read about people doing this before? Guess I'm wrong. What would happen if I was to say we need to get off say a day or two before getting to PV? Do you think they would let us?

I called NCL they said no, cannot get off in PV. I thought I had read about people doing this before? Guess I'm wrong. What would happen if I was to say we need to get off say a day or two before getting to PV? Do you think they would let us?

You called a NCL CSR who doesn't have a clue they were reading from a script. Go on the NCL cruise line board and ask for the email of the special service rep for your ship. then email her and tell them what you want to do and ask them to make arrangements for you to embark at PV. They should be able to make the arrangements for you.

We had a friend on our Pearl repo (Seattle - Miami) get off in Cabo. She arranged it at the last minute while onboard, so it can be done.

The ship folks really looked at her funny, but they did let her do it. (She had just heard the Sammy Hagar was going to be doing his concert, and she just had to see him.)

We haven't heard from her yet, so don't know how it turned out. We did have lunch with her there at Cabo Wabo before our ship left.

Archived