Document Needed for My 100-Year-Old Aunt

SANDPEBBLES

My dear Aunt W_____ is 100 years old and still very sharp. Her son, my Cousin J_________ is getting married again on a cruise leaving from Miami in February.

Neither my Aunt nor my Cousin uses the computer so I have been asked to help.

Here is the question: My aunt was born at home in 1908 and baptized at St. Stainislaus in Philadelphia. She can't find her certificate anywhere. I'm planning to write the church to obtain a copy.

Will that be enough documentation for her to board the ship? Lots of relatives are gathering, and she wants to be present for the wedding.

Her passport has expired, and I don't think she even knows where it is.

Because I can use the computer and get things done for her, I'm in charge of making sure she has the right papers to board the ship. :eek: (She won't need to fly because she lives close to Miami.) I'm helping her from my home in Georgia.

If she needs to renew her passport, I'll have to call her and give her the bad news. Hope I don't have to do that! Hope her certificate of baptism will be all she needs.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can advise me.

Yes. I know she can get a new passport. The problem is that she's living in a retirement home and can no longer drive a car. Someone would have to take her in person to get a new passport.

She's still very sharp but does get upset if things appear complicated. If she can avoid having to go in person to renew the passport, that would be ideal. That's why she's hoping her baptismal certificate will be enough.

If it isn't enough, we have to find someone willing to get her to the appropriate place and go through the hoops of getting a new passport.

Little things become huge worries to her as she has aged. It's not easy being 100 years old.

Thanks for answering my post. I do appreciate it.

Thanks so much. I was afraid of that. She is convinced the baptismal certificate is all she needs. If there was ever a birth certificate, I don't think she has ever seen it. (She was born at home.)

I will call her tonight. It seems as though she is going to have to go through the process of renewing her passport.

Boy! I wish I lived close to her, but we'll get it done somehow.

Thanks again.

Thanks so much. I was afraid of that. She is convinced the baptismal certificate is all she needs. If there was ever a birth certificate, I don't think she has ever seen it. (She was born at home.)

I will call her tonight. It seems as though she is going to have to go through the process of renewing her passport.

Thanks again.

what did she use to prove her citizenship when she got her original passport, do you know? Even being born at home the state she was born in will have a record of her birth...

Nita

I would call the passport office and talk to them about it.. I think that would be the best place to get the information.. She had a passport at one time, then you need to find out what she used to get it.. Also call the home she is in and see if someone there can drive and help her get their and help her get information to the passport people.. You can do that through the county court house...

Help that helps.

I just downloaded the form for requesting a birth certificate from Philadelphia. (Whew! She just made it. They go back to 1906, and she was born in 1908.)

She thinks she was born at home so I hope they have something on file for her.

Thanks, everyone. She was SO convinced the baptismal certificate was all she needed. At one time, of course, she knew where all her documents were. I'm sure they're sitting in a box somewhere, but she told me the search was "wearing her out." I can understand that!

In Ohio there are provisions for getting a birth certificate if you were born at home and no certificate was filed by the parents. Unfortunately it involves a sworn statement by someone who remembers the birth.

Even the expired passport along with the certificate of baptism and any other public records (like census reports) may be enough for her home state to help create a birth certificate.

One other lead could be to contact your Congressman. They have staffs that are there to help cut red tape (OK, when they're not creating red tape:p ).

I hope your aunt gets to go.

Charlie

She is my mother's sister and has always been there for me. During the seven years my mom battled cancer, my aunt was always there for me. (I was an only child and late in life baby.)

Anyway, I'm 56 and able to use the computer. When she needs something, I take care of it and have it delivered to her door. Helping her makes me happy because she is so very dear.

Thanks again.

Check with her County administration. In our area, the County schedules time at local towns and one of the things that can be done is processing the Passport applications. This would likely be much less stressful than going to a Federal office. Perhaps they would let you schedule an appointment for her, under the circumstances.

I can relate to what you're going through -- My Mom turns 96 this Christmas and I do stuff for her on the computer all the time.

Nancy

Thanks, everyone. Cruise Critic is a wonderful community of folks.

When I saw the question about where she is cruising, I had to laugh. (Although, it's a serious question that must be answered.)

Yesterday, I asked her: "What cruise line?"

Answer: "Oh, I don't know."

Question: "Where is the ship going?"

Answer: "It doesn't matter. I'm just there for the wedding. Can you get a copy of my baptismal certificate? I just can't go through any more boxes!"

Sensing she was getting frustrated, I stopped asking for cruise details. But, I think I need to press her some more!

I'm finished filling out the request to get a new copy of her birth certificate. She has to include a copy of her picture I.D. so I'll put everything together including stamped/addressed envelopes and mail to her. Will also include a check for the $10 fee.

My cousin is in his 70's and my aunt is the Mother of the Groom. No matter what - She has to be on that ship (whatever it is)!

Sandpebbles, what a wonderful niece you are for your Aunt W. Guess you will have to get up with your cousin to find out the ship and sailing details. She will also need a new picture ID for the passport. Here in NC you can have that done at the CVS drug stores that have one hour film development. Will you and Candlemaker also try to attend this wedding?

Whippets

How wonderful that you're helping your Aunt W! As for being born at home, Philly still required that the birth be reported (eventually- I think within one year), so you should be able to get a birth record (although Philly records-keeping is absolutley a mess LOL).

However, after all these years, please be prepared for name variations. So don't forget that the passport agency (and possibly TSA at the dock) will require some proof re name change due to marriage, etc. Also, in my family, the birth name was a name from the "home country" yet the child always used an American name at school (which ended up on their picture ID's). If this is the case, I hope the names are similar (Ernst to Ernest is OK, but my Bjorn to Bayard is tricky).

To help explain to your aunt re the Baptismal Cert: TSA needs to see proof of citizenship and proof of identity (picture ID) that match by "name". A Baptismal Cert proves neither- no church requires that a baby be a citizen to be baptized. Plus, it's not an official government doc. Many people are confused because a Baptismal Cert can be used to "prove" date of birth for Social Security benefits (but you don't need to be a citizen to receive these.)

Good luck!

Hi, Whippets! Thanks for the pointers - very much appreciated. No. Candlemaker and I will sit this cruise out. We have a nice one booked for April (as you know, dear friend).

JerseyGem, thanks for your pointers as well. I've done all the paperwork, requesting a new birth certificate. All envelopes have been addressed and stamped. When my aunt receives my packet, she'll just have to sign her name and provide a copy of her picture ID, place in envelope (including the self addressed envelope and check), and mail.

To be on the safe side, I need to find out where this ship is going and if she needs a passport. I'm on the case!

Thanks, everyone!

Archived