tours for San Juan del Sur- Nicaragua?

Gabrielle R.

Amelia, When you went through the Canal, which area(s) on the ship would you recommend? Gabrielle

Amelia ... Sort of ths same question as Gabrielle .... :confused: Will a regular balcony be all right or do you think we'll need a mini-suite? We'll be doing this as a B2B so will be on the ship for 20 days.

Your thoughts would be very much appreciated.

That is exactly what happened when were there, the tour bus broke down and had to be repaired, causing a log delay in our departure. If that had not been a Princess tour, the ship would have sailed on time and everybody on that tour would have been out of luck. I think you made a great call!

Sometimes, we fail to realize the GOOD things about booking our excursions through the ship! ;)

To be honest, none of the tours seemed to catch our interest except the sailing one that won't get back early enough. :rolleyes:

We finally decided to take the Glimpse of Nicaragua's History and Nature tour (which goes to Rivas and views the volcanoes) because the drive is 45 min. vs. an hour and 45 min. to Granada. I don't like long bus rides and this tour is just 3-3.5 hrs. which leaves time to explore SJDS.

Amelia, When you went through the Canal, which area(s) on the ship would you recommend? Gabrielle

I started up front at the on deck 10 and 11 if you walk all the way to the front of the ship you will come to door that says staff, Ignore that and barge right through, after another door, waalaa you are out on a secret balcony at the very front of the ship. This is a good place to catch your first lock. Move around, you might try viewing from a lower lounge and see the underneath perspective. Thats nice.

amelia

Amelia ... Sort of ths same question as Gabrielle .... :confused: Will a regular balcony be all right or do you think we'll need a mini-suite? We'll be doing this as a B2B so will be on the ship for 20 days.

Your thoughts would be very much appreciated.

Remember that these thought are coming from me, a middle aged princess from the San Fernando Valley! Perspective is everything, LOL.

We were in a mini (D back of the boat is covered) and that was nice for the extra room inside especially on B2B cruises. The showers are dramatically different in balconies and minis so If you need extra room in the shower, the mini has a combo bath/shower and is much bigger. Will you be spending more time inside, or outside? If you are an outside person like me, you might want to focus on balcony size (carib deck has the largest) rather than room size. Personally, I stopped booking minis to save a little money and take more cruises! I love the back of the ship so I always look for the aft rooms, on the Coral/Island the aft minis on the dolphin deck are large and covered. Another important question is whether you want to have a covered balcony or not. Check out this site to help find those answers:

http://mysite.verizon.net/res76zxu/princessbalconies/id6.html

Hot tip*** on the day of your transit, Photographers will be off the ship taking pictures of people in their balconies from the locks. These pictures are fabulous, they really capture the essence of a Panama Transit and mostly come out very nice. Make sure the Pose for the photographers!

Hot tip #2 (for B2B)** DON"T buy the photos of the ship transiting the canal on your 1st cruise, they charge $20 per photo ( of the ship, dated). However, on the 2nd cruise these photos go on sale and you can buy them cheap, 20 for $20!

I booked my b2b cruises about a year prior and one cruise price dropped by a thousand bucks (I got that) and the other cruise doubled in price(I didn't get that) so I ended up getting a decent price for both. Make sure you check prices, these boards are a great source for finding price changes.

Our steward slacked off a lot on our b2b, he neglected to clean our room well especially on the second leg of our journey. One thing is that he didn't scrub down the room between cruises, and because he was not the greatest steward to begin with, the room got kind of gross. I almost wished I had changed rooms.

Another b2b issue was in our traditional seating. On the first leg of the journey our server was great. She was attentive and we had a nice group at our table. We stayed at the same table for the second cruise and the next group barely showed up for dinner more than a few times so we sat at an empty table often and our server became less attentive. We were celebrating our 16th anniversary and of course it fell during the second cruise so our server completely forgot us. That was upsetting, I probably won't opt for traditional dining again on b2b cruises.

I hope this helps,

Amelia

Amelia .... Really appreciate your site and the pictures! :)

We did a full transit on old Royal Princess a long time ago and a part-way on old Crown Princess. Both times had mini-suites ... but don't think we needed it on Crown. Thinking we'll go with the balcony on Island. Thanks for helping me decide!

:D We normally flip-flop between minis and balconies .... depending!

We've never been on Island Princess so, once again, this info from you is especially helpful to us. Thank You!

We are thinking about doing the Volcano hike as well. We like to do a little more exercise type activities and thought it would be interesting. Got to work off the 24 hour food train :)

Another great thing about the Island/Coral is that it is the longest ship in the fleet and that means a little more walking, especially if you stay aft. I lost weight on my b2b cruises and I was not even trying, but we walked the promenade deck a lot, and avoided elevators.

This is another wonderful thing about these ships; you can actually walk around the entire peripheral of the ship on the promenade deck without changing levels. It is very cool.

amelia

To be honest, none of the tours seemed to catch our interest except the sailing one that won't get back early enough. :rolleyes:

We finally decided to take the Glimpse of Nicaragua's History and Nature tour (which goes to Rivas and views the volcanoes) because the drive is 45 min. vs. an hour and 45 min. to Granada. I don't like long bus rides and this tour is just 3-3.5 hrs. which leaves time to explore SJDS.

Beachyfe,

How did you like your tour to Rivas and the scenery? Would you recommend it?

Thanks,

DavidnSteph

Another great thing about the Island/Coral is that it is the longest ship in the fleet and that means a little more walking, especially if you stay aft. I lost weight on my b2b cruises and I was not even trying, but we walked the promenade deck a lot, and avoided elevators.

This is another wonderful thing about these ships; you can actually walk around the entire peripheral of the ship on the promenade deck without changing levels. It is very cool.

amelia

i love that you can walk all completly around the ship. We were on the Island for a 15 day to Hawaii and loved it. One thing that my husband and I decided to do was never take the elevator and we do a lot of walking. On my last cruise I only gained 1/2 pound and I pretty much had what I wanted. So walking is my friend

Amelia, thanks for the information! I didn't think about the underneath view!! Awesome!

Which deck were you on? How close was the lock to your room? I know the basic workings of the locks, and as I started to think about underneath... I was wondering where you were at?

My DH and I walk a lot. We rarely take the stairs... Only if I have heels on and I am too tired to walk up! That rarely happens!:rolleyes: I liked to hear that we don't have to go up and down on the promenade deck.... The Grand was that way- it didn't bother me, but it is nicer not to have to navigate stairs if I'm wearing a dress/heels... You can see the trend here can't you? Heels are evil... ;)

Thanks again for the help!

Gabrielle

Amelia, thanks for the information! I didn't think about the underneath view!! Awesome!

Which deck were you on? How close was the lock to your room? I know the basic workings of the locks, and as I started to think about underneath... I was wondering where you were at?

My DH and I walk a lot. We rarely take the stairs... Only if I have heels on and I am too tired to walk up! That rarely happens!:rolleyes: I liked to hear that we don't have to go up and down on the promenade deck.... The Grand was that way- it didn't bother me, but it is nicer not to have to navigate stairs if I'm wearing a dress/heels... You can see the trend here can't you? Heels are evil... ;)

Thanks again for the help!

Gabrielle

Hi Gabrielle,

We went down to the 6th deck and sat in a window seat, I got some great photos from there. This was during the final lock, I had seen utube video of the whole transit from a 5th deck porthole and it was pretty cool but I can't find it now! You will have plenty of time to check out all the decks and areas believe me it is a long day and after the thrill of the first lock, many people retire to their private balconies for most of the transit. That first lock is rather crowded, LOTS of people vying for the best spots, so if that matters to you go early and go to the secret spots at the front of the ship (floors 10 and 11 on the Island but floors 9 and 10 on the Coral) because the viewing is much better from there than from the HC.

Our balcony was on the Dolphin deck, thats 9. We were in the back of the ship, don't forget to go back to the aft viewing areas as well. Last Christmas many barges passed us singing and cheering "Merry christmas" and blowing horns and all sorts of funny things. One group of men did a dance for the whole ship. Very funny, very sweet.

I can't wear anything higher than an inch because the ships sway and well i am klutzy. Plus, after 17 years of marriage, he loves me no matter what!

Amelia

• 2 weeks later...
To bad Coral is going to Puerto Corinto instead of that beautiful port. Oh, well, it's bound to be fun anyway, but a container port doesn't do a lot for me. Nancy

I've been to both ports, it is much easier to visit Leon from corinto and this is one of the most beautiful towns I have been in. This port is getting a bad rap because people don't go into Leon and instead try to hang out at the port. Imagine hanging out in San Pedro? People who cheap out and miss an opportunity to visit Leon are missing something wonderful. JMO

I've been to both ports, it is much easier to visit Leon from corinto and this is one of the most beautiful towns I have been in. This port is getting a bad rap because people don't go into Leon and instead try to hang out at the port. Imagine hanging out in San Pedro? People who cheap out and miss an opportunity to visit Leon are missing something wonderful. JMO

Thank you. I'll look into the tour, if it doesn't require much walking. Nancy

Hi there: We are going to be at that port next april and did you do a ships excursion to Leon or who did you use. Any help with this port would really be appreciated.

Marilyn

Hi there: We are going to be at that port next april and did you do a ships excursion to Leon or who did you use. Any help with this port would really be appreciated.

Marilyn

Hi Marilyn,

I took an excursion to Leon with Princess and had a great guide. It was oriented towards art, we did a little bit of walking through the narrow cobbled streets and visited the home of Ruben Dario the famous poet. The city is gorgeous, surrounded by Volcanoes, it is quite dramatic. There is a wonderful Church that you can climb an easy flight of stairs and get onto the roof where the sights are beautiful. We had time on our own to look around the market at the main square as well as time to nibble on some tacos (chicken good, pork and beef caused turista tummy). So brave!

Unless you feel the need to surround yourself with poverty, don't go to the port town and expect anything but sad skinny dogs and kids begging for anything. But don't judge Nicaragua on the port.

Amelia

PS weren't you on a hawaii cruise a few years ago on the Island out of LA in Late March? I thought we might have been on a roll call together.

• 4 weeks later...

I’m so glad I found this string.

It seems that recently there have been some folks questioning the personal safety of passengers on tours in Nicaragua. DW saw an article about a bus being "pulled over by some bad guys” and although promptly released without and actions of consequence, it got our attention. We’re considering a Princess excursion, and are somewhat concerned.

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Terry

Hi Marilyn,

I took an excursion to Leon with Princess and had a great guide. It was oriented towards art, we did a little bit of walking through the narrow cobbled streets and visited the home of Ruben Dario the famous poet. The city is gorgeous, surrounded by Volcanoes, it is quite dramatic. There is a wonderful Church that you can climb an easy flight of stairs and get onto the roof where the sights are beautiful. We had time on our own to look around the market at the main square as well as time to nibble on some tacos (chicken good, pork and beef caused turista tummy). So brave!

Unless you feel the need to surround yourself with poverty, don't go to the port town and expect anything but sad skinny dogs and kids begging for anything. But don't judge Nicaragua on the port.

Amelia

PS weren't you on a hawaii cruise a few years ago on the Island out of LA in Late March? I thought we might have been on a roll call together.

I am glad this thread was brought back up. Amelia thanks for the info on Nicaragua. No I was not on the Island in late March. I have been to Hawaii but on the Diamond last Nov. though.

Marilyn

I’m so glad I found this string.

It seems that recently there have been some folks questioning the personal safety of passengers on tours in Nicaragua. DW saw an article about a bus being "pulled over by some bad guys” and although promptly released without and actions of consequence' date=' it got our attention. We’re considering a Princess excursion, and are somewhat concerned.

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Terry[/quote']

Hi Terry,

I am leaving in a few weeks for the PC and my biggest concern in Nicaragua is about seeing starving people and animals. Nicaragua is not considered a "violent crime" country, but they still have crime! I am sure much less than my city, Los Angeles!

There was a government travel alert due to elections and protests, but that expires Dec 15, 2009! I don't think anything substantially violent happened anyway. Read about it here:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/pa/pa_2477.html

I am a little more concerned about Violent crime in Guatemala, you can feel the tension when the ship pulls in and you see all the military presence everywhere. Lots more warnings, read about it here:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1129.html

That still is not going to stop me from visiting, but I am going to take a Princess tour because I feel safer! I do not think Princess would take me anywhere unsafe.

You might consider registering with the government when you travel these days because you never know what might happen!

Amelia

Amelia,

Thanks for the State Dept info. We will be in San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua and Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala this April. Unless there is an urgent warning from the State Dept, we will probably take ship-sponsored tours and keep our guard up.

From what we have read, it appears that San Juan del Sur is a nice place to walk around, and has a nice beach.

Can someone tell us if there is much to see at the port in Puerto Quetzal, or if it is just an industrial port?

DavidnSteph

Thanks for all the input! I decided to do a Princess tour- In Nic. The short one- dang if I can recall the name right now! so I can get some beach time. I'll try to report back for everyone when we get back! about 12 days before we take off on our trip! Wahoo! (We have a beautiful snow falling, but sun and sand sounds nicer!) Gabrielle

Archived