Live from Seabourn Spirit, Oct 25 - Dec 20 2008

cands

Are they canceling the Dubai experience as well? I thought that was one of the few they planned to keep.

What a shame. That and the Bom Boi in the Amazon are the best I've attended. I understand the Ephesus one is also fantastic--though I've never experienced that one.

Love reading your posts and look forward to India. Are you planning to ride an elephant?

Dear Cands

Glad to hear you arrived in Dubai safe and sound. We just heard that Oceania's Nautica ship was fired at and chased by pirates near Yemen. I guess it was worth the 80 bottles of champagne to the French Navy! I'm so glad Seabourn takes these precautions to keep it's passengers safe. Looking forward to your future posts as we have not done this part of your cruise.

Steve,

Pictures are fantastic! I especially enjoyed seeing "ridin' the camels" photos! (one of my very favorite excursions)

Would it be possible for you to snap a few pictures of the Spirit's "cat eatin' rat guards?" These rat guards are Capt. Geir-Arne's and when he transferred to the Spirit he took them along. If you've not seen them it's worth a visit to the Pier ~~to view the lines. My very favorite guard is the "Captain Cat!"

Do you think the Spirit will be calling on Mumbai on Dec. 7th?:eek:

Thank you for sharing your photos and your marvelous travel log.

Martita B.

Thanks for this wonderful cruise-by-proxy for us all! I must admit I hate to see the luggage outside the suites. (I especially hate it when it's out by 12N! But camp is over and next time, it won't be just the same. Then, the next time arrives and I am reminded that it's still terrific , even if just a tad different.

I love aquariums and bet floating through the fishes was fascinating, as opposed to sleeping with them!

Day 39 – Dubai and At Sea.

This morning before breakfast I went ashore to take some last photos of QE2 and to check out the action on the dock. Besides QE2 there was a German ship Astor and the Azamura Quest.

Sailaway was at 11am complete with the band and toasts of Champagne on the open deck. We slowly cruised out of the harbour and then executed a 360 turn to take a final look at Dubai. Then the heavens opened with our first shower of rain since Istanbul. It was actually cold on deck.

By this evening the weather had warmed and we had a quiet dinner outside at Restaurant 2. Most of the passengers were enjoying this segment’s Welcome Aboard formal night.

We went to the show and enjoyed Chris Hamilton at the piano, followed by a nightcap at the Sky Bar.

We are missing our friends who left after the last cruise. I hope you are all home safely. I forgot to mention John and Lorraine in my previous post. It was great spending time with you. We hope to catch up when we get home.

We have met fellow ccers Homolog and they send greetings to other ccers, especially Marja.

Goodnight,

Steve.

PS, Internet is playing up. Photos to follow tomorrow.

Steve,

It is a sunny Thursday morning in Melbourne and Lorraine and John will be home by now as they were arriving early this morning.

I am looking forward to catching up with them and hearing all about their wonderful trip. I look forward to reading the next instalment of your wonderful saga together with those great photos.

Jennie

Hi Steve & Chris,

We arrived back in Melbourne on Emirates at 3.00am this morning. Just about ready now to fall into bed. We collected our dogs today & we will go out to Berwick to get the cats tomorrow morning. We were sorry that we didn't get a chance to say goodbye to you on Tuesday morning. Have a wonderful trip to Singapore & keep us posted on the new Trivia team. We will enjoy your daily updates of the cruise and marvellous photos and we will catch up with you in January.

Lorraine & John

Granny Lorr, we eventually received the referral credit from Seabourn on 27th November.

I thought that I send an email to advise you on that day but now I cannot find it so I think there must have been a computer mallfunction. Lorraine

Thanks for all the great photos Steve (and Chris) and for all the posts. Having done the same cruise 2 years ago and thinking that we would like to do it again you have made us even keener. It's also wonderful to see the QE2 - when we were on the Legend at the end of October we saw her in Malta on her last Med cruise.

Shelagh and Larry

Day 40 – Muscat.

Today we visited Muscat for the second time. As we already knew the ‘lay of the land’ we decided to self-tour by taxi.

We first visited the Sultan’s Mosque which was incredible! I’m afraid the photos don’t do it justice. We then took a drive along the coast, checking out some of the newly built resorts. We had a quick look at the Sultan’s Palace and then headed back to the Souk to spend a little time shopping before returning to the ship for a late lunch.

Those of you who have been reading this these last forty days will know I have tried to concentrate on the positive aspects of the trip. The negative aspects have been pretty insignificant and consequently not worth reporting. (Our clock-radio has finally been fixed after having to reset the time multiple times per day for the last six weeks).

It’s time for a little gripe!

We have noticed a definite deterioration in the level of service since the massive changeover of staff in Dubai. I’m sure this is partly to do with the new staff not knowing our preferences, but not totally. We will be looking for some improvement over the next couple of days.

Tonight we arrived for dinner at 8:30. The assistant Maitre d’ knew our preference for one of the corner quiet tables for two, all of which were occupied. We indicated we would take any table that was available and he led us to the worst table for two in the dining room. Regular Seabourn cruisers will know this table, wedged between the serving station and a hosted table for twelve. One of the diners at the hosted table was sitting quite a distance from the table so there was very little room for the waiters to move between the two tables.

Consequently they would squeeze past, often knocking into us. We tried sitting closer to the table and ended up sitting uncomfortable and stiff, waiting for the next blow to come.

Finally there was one bump too many and after two courses I had had enough. Luckily our waiter was responsive, and moved us quickly to another table. The rest of dinner passed without incident.

So, tomorrow is another day; a sea day and the first of three before we reach India.

Cheers for now,

From an ever so slightly grumpy

Steve.

3082209749_72f0422804_o.jpg

3083047654_be3a0b30f1_o.jpg

3083047976_d68e241a00_o.jpg

3083048416_9b185670aa_o.jpg

3082211795_983f0866c3_o.jpg

3082212375_f8876eff4d_o.jpg

We know what you mean!

Dinner at 20.30 can be difficult in the dining room on all of the triplets!

We have been waiting in the Club, or sent back there, on several occasions. A table for two is not always easy.

And sometimes there are just too many people who want a table for two and that is when a problem occurs.

Marja

Steve,

The photos of Muscat are wonderful and thank you for sharing. On our cruise in September on the Pride (28 days) we had a big staff change over after the first two weeks and felt the same as you. We were told that a lot of the staff coming on board were new to Seabourn and were being trained ready for the new ship when the most experienced staff would be transferred to the new ship. The service was not bad but not as smooth and professional as it had been on the first two weeks of our cruise. Now if we were joining the ship when the new crew joined perhaps we would not have noticed any problems. Perhaps we are creatures of habit and routine and like the same staff faces who know our likes and dislikes. However, I definitely noticed a difference in the service level especially in the dinning room when the new staff came on board. Hope the new staff settle in and all returns to normal. Looking forward to your posts from India. Please have a glass of champagne for me in the spa or a frozen margarita at the sky bar.

Day 41 – Sea Day.

Today was a relaxing sea day, so no more grumbles. We had lunch and dinner in the dining room with excellent service.

We formed our new trivia team for this segment. We are named “Goa, Goa, Gone!”. We are all Australians so it will be interesting to see how we go. A mix of nationalities seems to get the best results. Anyway, there was lots of fun and laughter, which is good.

There’s something about sea days that induces sleep, and what a lovely notion to be able to take a daily afternoon nap.

When early evening came it was time for the gym. Most nights the Captain is also there.

I’m afraid to say I have put on a couple of pounds but luckily all the clothes still fit for now. We had a lovely dinner in the dining room with fellow passengers we have known since the first week. We are solid friends now; it seems like we have known them for months.

The show tonight was “The Comedy Magic of Mark Shortand”. Everyone seemed to enjoy the show, including us.

So, another sea day comes to an end. We advance our clocks by 30 minutes tonight to be ready for India time.

From a very relaxed Steve, Cheers.

3084592941_eb09ed0dce_o.jpg

3084593177_dba0236bc4_o.jpg

Wow, Steve, your pictures are awesome (as my grandchildren would say) except I mean it the way it is meant to be used. Thanks for a great journal of your cruise. We did the same one in 2005 except for Goa and a few other stops. Jean

Thanks to everyone for continuing to follow this thread and make such nice comments.

Today is day 42, it's a sea day and I'm having a rest from posting. Catch you all tomorrow.

Cheers,

Steve.

Steve,

Thought this might be of interest to you and your fellow shipmates.

On Dec. 20th, Singapore, the Oceania Nautica will be alongside of you. Yes, the ship that out ran the pirates on Nov. 30th. The Captain's name is, Jurica Brajcic. A 'lit strange since there will only be the 2 ships calling on Singapore ~~! Both out running pirates!

Captain Toenis Soerensen goes on R&R Dec. 20th, while Captain Geir-Arne comes to master the Spirit! (I'm sure he'll revive his photo album ~~ which we all enjoy viewing)

Please give Miss Marla a "holiday hug" for me ~~! She's great fun!

Continued safe and grand voyage.

Martita B.

Day 44 - Goa.

Today we made landfall in India. I think Goa must be a good place to ease yourself into India. It certainly was not as confronting as I thought it would be, nor as daunting as my previous trip to Delhi and Kashmir many years ago.

We decided to take a Seabourn tour. We could not agree on which one to take so Chris went to the township of Old Goa to visit the Portuguese churches and I took a tour which included a Hindu temple and lunch plus sightseeing at a spice plantation.

We both enjoyed our tours which included more than an hour each way on India’s interesting country roads. (not as harrowing as Egypt’s, surprisingly)

Safely back on the ship we were on deck for the sunset sailaway. We enjoyed a private and relaxing dinner in the cabin which concluded with one of my favourite deserts: Creme Brulee on Display, which is a medley of three different flavours, namely Basil, Orange and regular.

Chris is thinking about going to the 10pm show starring Marla Saunders. I’m going to watch some TV and have an early night.

Cheers for now,

Steve.

3093116906_9eee4d65ca_o.jpg

3092277833_925a7d2900_o.jpg

3092278891_0d04260f1a_o.jpg

3093119478_e6fe7b8295_o.jpg

Pepper

3092282397_c09009589d_o.jpg

Feed watermelon to the elepant for $1!

3092284165_e1b90ff7a8_o.jpg

Steve - this is great stuff; I love coming back every day to see what you guys have done and seen.

"Creme Brulee on Display" -- NBD; I always thought it was Creme Brulee on "Parade"? Did it change? IIRC, last time we were on the Pride I think we had the three different chocolate creme brulees (light, dark and white).

Keep the Sprit ship-shape; we'll be on her in May!

Jeff

Chris and Steve:

We are safely back in very cold Maryland (we have even had a touch of snow). We are enjoying following the rest of your journey. Some friends passed on a photo taken by the French (it has been in some newspapers) of their landing.

CPS.OID56.261108093823.photo02.photo.jpg.a00f7c52eb0f072da62847eb2ad4219b.jpg

Archived