question about traveling passportless

taralu7

Now I'm really confused,,,,I called Carnival AGAIN,,,,and they said that was LUDICROUS,,,,ONLY if using something BESIDES a DL as photo ID do I need my marriage certificate,,,,He asked HIS supervisor and got the SAME answer,,,,I dont' think these people know WHAT is going on,,,,

I'm ordering one anyway, but this confusion is a pain in the YOU KNOW WHAT!!!!!!!!

Holly

If your nephew has a military ID, I am assuming he is above age as to not needing a permission letter to travel and/or get passport??

:confused:

Not necessarily. If he is a military dependent, he would have a military ID without him being in the military.

Bottom line. If you want to avoid any issues, the name on your plane ticket, cruise ticket, etc. must match the name on your ID and proof of citizenship. The advantage of a passport, of course, is that it serves BOTH as an ID and proof of citizenship.

If your passport shows your maiden name, it's recommended that you book your flights and cruise in your maiden name.

If the names do not match, it's recommended that you bring documentation of the name change (marriage/divorce/name change orders.)

i have decided, thanks to all of you, that i am gonna go ahead and get the passports for all of us. i've already started the ball rolling for my nephew to get his too. his mom and dad are gonna have to assume some of the responsibility for that being that he's THEIR son and not mine. i wish i could just do it myself--it would be ALOT simpler! and i think i'd worry LESS if i was taking care of it personally. i don't like depending on others to do stuff like that. but hey, he's getting a totally free cruise and they won't have to spend a dime on it. it's not like they're getting to go, but still that's their son, so hopefully it'll motivate them to complete the whole passport process!

now all i've gotta do is find some time to call the post office and set up appts for us. oh, and i need to get the photos done. i think they're cheaper elsewhere than at the post office, right?

anyhoo, i just hate indecision so i'm much less stressed just KNOWING that i AM gonna get the passports.

how long do you think it'll take for them to come? i think i read about 3 weeks. anyone know anything any different.

okay, i'll go. i've worked all day and i'm tired and it makes me a little wired in the evenings! i tend to ramble.

I'd say the biggest reason for having a passport is this. In case of emergency. If you have an emergency and need to fly home from another country, without a passport that's a big NO! Yes I know the chances are small of having an emergency but they still do happen.

Like this poster said, emergencies can happen. I just got off the Destiny yesterday. The day after our cruise set sail (and the day before our stop in Cozumel), my grandfather passed away :( . My family all had passports EXCEPT my DD. We could not have flown home from Mexico without it. Thank goodness my family held the funeral for us 'til today. If, for some reason, they had been unwilling to do that, I don't know what we would have done!

A passport may cost money, but it also means that you can travel at any time to anywhere you want (providing no visas need to be applied for).

Your nephew WILL need a notorized letter from his parents that he has permission to travel with you. Even if it is not checked, they say get it because if they ask and you have nothing, you are not going on the cruise or getting off the ship at any and all ports....

Passports will also be needed to travel to and from Canada starting next year. You can get into Canada by land with a BC and DL, but starting January 09, nope, passport needed for land, air, and sea travel to Canada...

I've had a passport since 1991 and willingly pay to renew it even though I didn't go anywhere from 1992-2007....

Passports will also be needed to travel to and from Canada starting next year. You can get into Canada by land with a BC and DL, but starting January 09, nope, passport needed for land, air, and sea travel to Canada..
In general terms, yes, this is correct, except that the implementation date is JUNE, not January. But there are exceptions -- kids on school trips, Kickapoo tribe members and the most relevant to this board, most cruises. So while a fishing charter that crosses the border will need a passport or similar document, a cruise (RT from the US) will not, and may continue to use just BC and DL.

now all i've gotta do is find some time to call the post office and set up appts for us. oh, and i need to get the photos done. i think they're cheaper elsewhere than at the post office, right?

anyhoo, i just hate indecision so i'm much less stressed just KNOWING that i AM gonna get the passports.

how long do you think it'll take for them to come? i think i read about 3 weeks. anyone know anything any different.

For what it's worth, I think your decision is a good one. :)

The best resource for information is the State Department's website: http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html

There are links to application forms on their website. Print them out and complete them, minus any signatures. There is also a list of passport offices and post offices that accept applications. You don't need an appointment. The list also shows which offices offer passport pictures. I had my last set taken at the post office and they really weren't any more expensive than CVS, Wallgreens, etc.

Note that, for minors, the child and BOTH parents must present in person to apply for a passport. (This applies to renewals as well, btw.)

If I remember correctly, I think the actual passport fee has to be paid by check/cash while the filing fee can be paid by credit card -- or something like that. In anycase, either confirm or take a checkbook with you just in case.

I've been hearing turn-around times of well under two weeks lately! They've become really efficient. I got my last one in about 10 days last fall.

Oh, and one more thing. If you're a AAA member, I remember them having passport "sales". I think they sometimes discount the filing fee if you're getting multiple passports at the same time. You might check it out.

when we cruised in 2006. we were going to get them b/c it was going to become mandatory so i got mine first, then they changed the date. We are leaving in Jan 2009 on a cruise. We had no problems at all without passports for dh or our 3 kids. Kids under 16 do not even need a photo ID. All we needed was a birth certificate with raised seal. Just as simple as showing a passport, do slowing down the line or anything. I will probably get my oldest her passport when she is 16 for the cruise we take soonest after that since hers will be good for 10 years then. The kids' passports are not much cheaper, but are only good for half the amt of time, so not worth it IMO.

I think passports are just smart. When I was 14, years before 9/11, I had a last-minute offer to appear on a Canadian talk show (long story), but I'd have to leave the next day. My parents had a certified copy of my birth certificate on hand, but I had no photo ID. They were repeatedly assured that since I was traveling with my father, it wouldn't be an issue.

Getting into Canada was easy as pie. Getting out on the other hand.... we were taken into detention and questioned for a long time. :eek: Dad showed his ID, my birth certificate w/raised seal, his federal government ID... like I said, this was way before 9/11 and the current travel regs, but I guess someone was having a bad day. We ended up being released with a stern warning just minutes before our plane departed. Was there anything "wrong" with traveling the way we did? No. It was legal. But it didn't stop the harassment.

Even traveling domestically, a passport can help. Flying back from NY after our Victory cruise last month, we had an issue with Jet Blue. Resolving it with staff at the time meant we were late getting to baggage claim, and our bags had been picked up and stored in the luggage office.

The luggage supervisor insisted on seeing our photo IDs and boarding passes to retrieve our luggage. With everything that was going on, I had managed to completely misplace the boarding passes. As I was pulling things out of pockets and carryons, I went ahead and handed our passports to the supervisor. As soon as he saw them, he smiled and said no boarding passes were needed. He explained that passports are really the "preferred" travel document, and he wished more people would use them.

Yes, it's still "legal" to cruise with a b/c and DL. But to me, the hassles that magically melt away are worth every penny spent on the passports. Just my two cents.

It's inevitable that passports will be required in the short term for cruising. To hold down the expense, we are getting one family member a passport each year (until they become mandatory). We will also stagger the renewal fees to one per year as well.

There's not much difference travelling with a B/C and D/L for ID than using the passport. We've done that for four cruises already and it's no sweat. As far as emergencies, I understand that your embassy will assist you in the case of problems in foreign lands. True, having a passport may make the assistance more efficient, but the embassy will still help you get what you need (air travel, etc) w/o a passport.

OP may also want to look at getting the passport cards. They're cheaper than a regular passport and are easier to maintain (wallet sized). Just food for thought.

I would save the money and go with birth certificates if you are unsure how soon you would use a passport again.

We don't have a passport for our son yet, I simply put all our paperwork in a paper notebook and it says in my hand as we board the ship. Once we are in the room I put it in the closet near the safe. He is 12 and doesn't even have a photo ID, he has cruised twice with no problems.

Here is a link for what you will need after May 31, 2009:http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/newsroom/fact_sheets/travel/whti_state_factsheet.ctt/whti_state_factsheet.pdf

Half way down on page 2 left side state where you only need a DL and BC to travel on closed loop cruises(starting and ending from same US port).

For what its worth on Carnivals website there is two answers to this question and they are answered differently. In the FAQ it says:

What are the new passport requirements?

CRUISE TRAVEL

The U.S. Government will soon require all of our guests (including U.S. citizens) to be in possession of a valid passport when traveling on any Carnival cruise. To make sure you are prepared at your departure port, visit http://www.travel.state.gov for the latest and exact passport requirements.

Here is link for it: http://carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/New_Passport_Requirements.aspx

The other states this:

CRUISE TRAVEL

U.S. citizens traveling on cruises that begin and end in the same U.S. port must show proof of citizenship (such as an original or certified copy of a birth certificate) and a government-issued photo ID (such as a driver’s license). Effective June 1, 2009, U.S. citizens traveling on cruises that begin and end in different U.S. ports, or begin or end in a foreign port, must have a passport or other recognized document. For a complete list of accepted documents, see http://www.travel.state.gov.

U.S. Alien Residents need a valid Alien Resident Card. Canadian citizens must present a valid passport. Non-U.S. citizens need a valid passport and a valid, unexpired U.S. Multiple Re-entry Visa, if applicable.

here is the link for it:

http://carnival.com/CMS/fun/cruise_control/EMB_travel_document.aspx

If you should call and ask carnival this question, they state that any cruise departing on May 31, 2009 or earlier wont require a PP. But if you travel after May 31, 2009 you will need a PP. Hope Carnival give a more clear answer eventually:). Sooner rather than later.

Archived