question about traveling passportless

taralu7

First of all let me say that I'm still trying to decide if i should get passports for all of us, considering that my TA insists that it's not mandatory at this time for our particular cruise.

I have a couple of questioins for the experts that travel so much...

1.) we may not cruise again (maybe b/c of the economy, who knows?), is it worth it to buy passports for myself and my 3 kids? (DH already has one). Just for me and my kids, it'll be over 400 bucks roughly.

2.) if I opt not to get the passports, i realize that i still have to have "real" birth certificates and i have the kids original Social Security cards. But do they have to have some sort of official picture ID? if so, is this something that i'd have to get at the post office?

3.) i have no idea where my original Social Security card is, but i know the number and i have a valid drivers license and my official birth certificate. is that enough?

4.) my nephew is traveling with us (my family of five and my parents). His mom and dad (my brother) are divorced and he lives with his mom out of state. He has a military ID card. I was going to try to avoid attempting to get his mother to get a passport for him b/c he lives with his mom out of state and i know he'd have to have a letter notarized from his dad saying it's okay for her to get his passport. Plus, I'm just not sure she'll follow thru, PERIOD, especially since it DOES cost money! Whether or not he has a passport , we still need a note from his parents (notarized) saying that it's okay that he travel with us, correct?

5.) when do you have to show your passport? just when you're getting on and off the ship like in New Orleans (the port for our particular cruise), or do you have to produce it at every port of call? (we're stopping in Progresso and Cozumel and we definetly wanna get off the boat there)

Anyway, I really have debated this over and over in my mind and i keep worrying about having all the extra papers (birth certificates, ID's, Soc.Sec. cards) with me all the time and not losing stuff. i KNOW it would be simpler to just bite the bullet and buy the passports.

Help me make my decision. Is it worth the extra 4oo bucks (not to mention all the aggravation i'm gonna have to go thru to make sure my nephew gets HIS passport) ? FYI, my mom and dad would more than likely pay for my nephew's passport, if we decide that he should get one.

You know, I debated as well for our upcoming cruise. I have no idea if my kids will ever need their passports again (although we may plan a drive to Canada and they'll be useful for that). In addition, I knew my son's would only be good for 5 years instead of 10.

But for me, the expense was worth it. I'll have ZERO hassle getting them through airport security and on the ship. No papers to juggle or worry about getting dropped/destroyed while rifling through the pile to get to the 'right' one. No need for my kids to bring their school photo IDs. And one less worry if, in the event of emergency, we need to get back to the states from an island.

I just built it right in to the cruise price.

You do not have to have passports. You also do not need to bring social security cards. You do need to have official certified birth certificates.

You should visit the official website for US passport info. My copy/paste isn't working this morning, but google "US passport info" and you'll find the link.

http://travel.state.gov.passport is as close as I can remember.

You do not have to have passports. You also do not need to bring social security cards. You do need to have official certified birth certificates.

You should visit the official website for US passport info. My copy/paste isn't working this morning, but google "US passport info" and you'll find the link.

http://travel.state.gov.passport is as close as I can remember.

Some things that I remember about ID from before we had passports:

Since you are married, your married name will be different from that on your birth certificate, and you will need your marriage license to prove your identity.

I believe kids 16 and older need a photo id

I have never taken someone else's child into a foreign country, but if you do,

I think you need a notorized letter from each parent stating that it is OK for you to do so. I do not know at what age this ends.

I have had a passport for a few years, so check out what I have said, do not take it as the gospel truth.

hmmmmm i know i'm officially married ( i better be after all the thousands of loads of laundry that i've done for DH over the past 16 1/2 years), but i have no idea about a marriage certificate. is that something i'd have to request from our courthouse? i'm pretty sure i don't have one around here. sorry to sound dumb, i just have no idea.

thank you everyone for all the responses. every little bit of info. helps.

I would bite the bullet for the passports, no question. Your kids may need them in the future and this would eliminate that concern in the future.

Also, keep in mind that you'll want the notarized letter for your nephew to also authorize you to provide medical care in case of emergency.

Have a WONDERFUL cruise...you'll enjoy it more when you've resolved this paper flow.

hmmmmm i know i'm officially married ( i better be after all the thousands of loads of laundry that i've done for DH over the past 16 1/2 years), but i have no idea about a marriage certificate. is that something i'd have to request from our courthouse? i'm pretty sure i don't have one around here. sorry to sound dumb, i just have no idea.

thank you everyone for all the responses. every little bit of info. helps.

I've been married for the past 8 years and have taken 4 cruises and never brought my marriage certificate. I do have a passport as does my dh and both sons. Only you can decide if you really want to spend the money on it. If I were going on a possible one time cruise I may have felt differently but I knew I was going to be hooked. I could also afford it at the time so the expense wasn't an issue. Now that we have them it's so much easier to remember that all we need for id is the passport. It makes sailing through airports and ports a breeze as well as debarking the ship. For me it's worth every penny of it to know that should we have any issues while in port, missing the ship etc we won't have to deal with not having a passport. Again these things may not be significant for you so you have to decide :)

Get the Passports! If nothing else, for your sanity. Trying to juggle birth certificates, IDs, (you're SS card will do you no good, no need to take it), marriage certs, etc. So much easier to line the kids up, hand over the passports, they run them through, glance at the kids pics and off you go.

You obviously know that they are not "required"....yet, but if you are asking for advice from people who have been there, done that.....Get the passports.

We travel with our entire family at least once a year (16 of us and 6 kids under the age of 7). Two years ago before passports were required, those of us with passports breezed through airport check-in, security, and immigration, etc. Those without (including some of the families with kids) took FOREVER. They (the check-in personnel) checked and double checked each one to make sure they matched, then looked at each picture and then "scolded" in two instances, the parents for not having passports for everyone to make everyone's lives easier. They were embarrassed, the people behind them in line were angry and restless, and you can bet as soon as they got home, they all got passports!!

But for me, the expense was worth it. I'll have ZERO hassle getting them through airport security and on the ship. No papers to juggle or worry about getting dropped/destroyed while rifling through the pile to get to the 'right' one. No need for my kids to bring their school photo IDs. And one less worry if, in the event of emergency, we need to get back to the states from an island.

This is the biggie with passports - the convenience factor and the fact that within the next few years they will likely be required even for land crossings into Canada and Mexico (either a passport or that passport card). We live within a 5 hour drive of Montreal, and have been known to drive to Maine and take the high speed ferry to Nova Scotia, or hop on the plane to Toronto for a long weekend. We go to Canada enough for leisure that having passports is worth it. Add in that I travel internationally for work about once every 1-2 years, and hop over into Canada on business once or twice a year, and a passport is essential for me.

On our first cruise, I traveled with my passport and DH traveled with birth cert/driver's license. Not only was I a wreck trying to protect that birth certificate (and its raised seal) but getting through Customs was a snap for me - the Customs guy glanced at my passport and welcomed me home. For DH the Customs officer had to cross-match the name on the DL with the name on the birth certificate, he checked the hologram on the DL and everything. It was just a lot quicker for me than for him.

Since you are married, your married name will be different from that on your birth certificate, and you will need your marriage license to prove your identity.

Yes - they may not ask for it but you should bring a certified copy of the marriage license as well, IF you changed your name when you got married. ;) I've had friends traveling on DL/birth certificate after marriage who got fouled up because they didn't bring a copy of that marriage license with them. The Customs folks will very rightly think, "The driver's license says 'Mary Smith' but the birth certificate says 'Mary Jones' - how do I know this woman is really the same person listed on the birth certificate?" Remember, you don't have to be a citizen to have a driver's license - your birth certificate indicates your citizenship but if they can't tie the name on the birth cert to the name and photo on your DL, there could be a delay in being allowed back in the country.

Also, I would not take a minor who is not my child out of the country without him/her having a passport AND having a notarized letter from the parent(s).

glad i found t his post, i told hubby we didnt need passports and he argued and told me we were going to get them anyway, I said NO why pay for them if we do not need them, but after reading this, it sounds like it will be worth the little expense incase something happens,also sounds easier reguarding the shuffeling of the papers etc. Does anyone know the cost of a passport, i think i saw it to be around 70$ pp. Thanks Cruisers...hugs

My personal advice on this is to have a passport. But there are valid reasons, such as the cost and utility issues you have, to decide otherwise.

In order to make your own decision, I suggest you ask yourself if you are purchasing travel insurance? If you are, then get the passport; your insurance is much less useful without a passport.

Also, a few corrections/clarifications to some statements above.

1. Marriage certificates are not required to apply for a passport; in most cases they are also not required to board a ship. Your DL proves your identity, and that includes your legal married name. Your BC proves your citizenship, not your current legal name. In most cases, they match your first name and birth date from the BC to the DL. The only time the two have to be linked is in time of higher threat levels (orange or red) at the port. IF you are the type to worry about this small possibility, then just get the passport.

2. Passports have been required for flying since Jan 2007. In the subsequent 22 months, only one case of emergency trouble for a family cruising on BC's has made the news and these boards. Keep the 'what-if-there's-an-emergency' scenarios in proper perspective. Again, if you are going to worry about this, get the passport.

2. Katiebug--Passport or passcard or Sentri/Nexus will be required June 1 2009 for land borders; not so for RT cruises. Also, don't fret so much about protecting the BC--you can always get multiple copies from the state issuing them. These are not originals.

My 2-cents.

If the cost of getting passports for everyone is an issue, I'd recommend getting passports for the parents/adults. Not just for convenience in getting through various security checkpoints but also in case something happens while you're outside of the country. Passports are internationally recognized and understood -- if you find yourself in a sticky situation of any sort in a foreign country, it will be MUCH more effective (and efficient) if you can produce a passport. (Honestly, I think only Americans would consider traveling internationally with just a driver's license.)

I think you'll find that security regarding the kids will be pretty laid back as long as they're old enough to be able to identify you as their parents. Just take birth certificates for them if the cost of getting passports is a problem. If they're old enough to drive and have drivers' licenses, take them as a photo ID.

Social Security cards aren't required for anyone nor do they have any value. (Non-citizens can obtain them so they don't "prove" citizenship.)

For your nephew, I would first check with Carnival if they have any documentation requirements. Otherwise, I would take a permission letter from a parent and an insurance card along with his birth certificate. I've sent my son on a plane with his aunt out of the country and the only thing required was his passport and a letter of permission (not notarized.)

Also, a few corrections/clarifications to some statements above.

1. Marriage certificates are not required to apply for a passport; in most cases they are also not required to board a ship. Your DL proves your identity, and that includes your legal married name. Your BC proves your citizenship, not your current legal name. In most cases, they match your first name and birth date from the BC to the DL. The only time the two have to be linked is in time of higher threat levels (orange or red) at the port. IF you are the type to worry about this small possibility, then just get the passport.

This advice is not completely correct. They can require marriage certificates to apply for a passport - I know my mother had to have hers to be able to get her passport a couple of years ago.

This advice is not completely correct. They can require marriage certificates to apply for a passport - I know my mother had to have hers to be able to get her passport a couple of years ago.
Wrona, perhaps I should have said they are not a standard document to be supplied when applying for a passport. Neither are baptismal records, school records, adoption records, family Bibles, etc.; all of which CAN be required in special circumstances when applying for a passport.

Most married women just list their former names on the passport application. No documentary proof is usually needed. In unusual cases, where there could be a question of name changes, people will be required to submit additional documentation, which it appears that your mother needed. But if you look at the passport application, it does not request this document as a matter of routine.

Get the Passports! If nothing else, for your sanity. Trying to juggle birth certificates, IDs, (you're SS card will do you no good, no need to take it), marriage certs, etc. So much easier to line the kids up, hand over the passports, they run them through, glance at the kids pics and off you go.

You obviously know that they are not "required"....yet, but if you are asking for advice from people who have been there, done that.....Get the passports.

We travel with our entire family at least once a year (16 of us and 6 kids under the age of 7). Two years ago before passports were required, those of us with passports breezed through airport check-in, security, and immigration, etc. Those without (including some of the families with kids) took FOREVER. They (the check-in personnel) checked and double checked each one to make sure they matched, then looked at each picture and then "scolded" in two instances, the parents for not having passports for everyone to make everyone's lives easier. They were embarrassed, the people behind them in line were angry and restless, and you can bet as soon as they got home, they all got passports!!

My passport saved my butt on my April cruise~! I decided to change purses to a lighter purse the day before we left for our overnight stay at the airport. When we got to the airport and they asked for a photo id. I had the passports tucked away with our cruise info. I grabbed for my driver's license since it would be quicker than pulling out the cruise packet. :eek: It was at that moment that I realized my driver's license was at home in my old purse! Luckily I did have the passports and it saved me from having to drive 2 hours back home and another 2 hours back to the airport!

2. Katiebug--Passport or passcard or Sentri/Nexus will be required June 1 2009 for land borders; not so for RT cruises. Also, don't fret so much about protecting the BC--you can always get multiple copies from the state issuing them. These are not originals.

I was born halfway across the country from where I live now. Getting a new copy of my BC would be time-consuming. DH was born 15 minutes from our home, so he can get copies easily. Both of our BC copies have the raised seal and those are easy to accidentally flatten out. At $15 per certified copy for DH's birth certificate, I was not getting more than one copy. :D

We technically don't "need" passports for a RT cruise, but for the convenience factor and not needing to carry and protect multiple documents, I wouldn't consider traveling internationally without a passport.

I do think Americans are the only people who'd consider traveling internationally without a passport. I don't really consider Canada to be "international" travel but I still won't cross that border by land without my passport in hand. ;)

Wrona, perhaps I should have said they are not a standard document to be supplied when applying for a passport. Neither are baptismal records, school records, adoption records, family Bibles, etc.; all of which CAN be required in special circumstances when applying for a passport.

Most married women just list their former names on the passport application. No documentary proof is usually needed. In unusual cases, where there could be a question of name changes, people will be required to submit additional documentation, which it appears that your mother needed. But if you look at the passport application, it does not request this document as a matter of routine.

Not necessarily, when I applied to have my passport amended from my maiden name to my married name I had to supply a certified copy of our marriage license to prove that I had the right to amend my passport (I hope that makes sense). My SIL renewed her passport that had been in her maiden name, and she had to submit her marriage license as well.

For a new passport (someone who's never had one before) you typically don't have to submit the marriage license unless other documentation is questioned. For a renewal with a name change or for an amended name, you do need to submit the marriage license as documentation that the name change is legit.

Some things that I remember about ID from before we had passports:

Not according to Carnival, you don't,,,I was married in 1983,,,my BC obviously shows my maiden name and my DL shows my married name,,,I have traveled numerous times to the Caribbean on just these two documents,,,and in fact, was told 5 times the marriage cert was not necessary,,,

Since its been years since I've travelled, though, I wanted to be sure nothing had changed, and so I called Carnival this morning,,,

I do not need a copy of my marriage certificate,,,the birthdates, first and middle names will be the same on BOTH the BC and the DL, and that is what they cross reference when checking me on or off the ship. The DL shows the name change to match my documents,,,and is, in fact, proof of the name change, since I had to show the marriage certificate to change my DL.

The hassle is a pain in the rear, though, and I think I'm just going to get a passport when I get back, tuck them away in a safe, and forget about them until we cruise again,,,

However, I'm married to Mr. Cheapskate, and he's trying to talk me into the passport cards, since they save a few bucks,,,his reasoning is that we will probably NEVER fly to another country since we love cruising so much,,,

my reasoning is you never know when you'll have to fly HOME,,,,and, you never know,,,if we got a great deal on an all inclusive to Mexico or something, we just might want to do that one of these days,,,,I doubt it, we love cruising so much but you never know,,,,who wants to be limited??? Besides,,,we may cruise Europe in the next 10 years :)

Holly

I was born halfway across the country from where I live now. Getting a new copy of my BC would be time-consuming. DH was born 15 minutes from our home, so he can get copies easily. Both of our BC copies have the raised seal and those are easy to accidentally flatten out. At $15 per certified copy for DH's birth certificate, I was not getting more than one copy. :D

HAH,,,15 bucks is CHEAP,,,,a month before my cruise, I discovered that the "BC" I thought I had for ME, was my daughters!!!! I live outside Tampa Florida and was born in Portland OR,,,the only relative I have living there is my Dad, and we do not speak,,,

I used VitalCheck to get a copy, and it cost me 52.50,,,20.00 of that, however, is UPS next day delivery,,,

I ordered it online, had to fax my signature and a copy of my DL that night, and received it in 2 days,,,by 9am second day,,,less than 48 hours after ordering,,,,,thank GOD. (Vitalcheck, though it doesn't guarantee how fast it gets you the docs, does a FANTABULOUS JOB if anyone ever needs to use them),,It is resting safely with my husband's in the packet of docs that Carnival sent to me,,,

we ALWAYS do a check list before leaving the house,,,

wallet? DL? Docs? BC's? Money? CC's? Anything else, we can buy,,,but if we forget those things,,,,,,disaster befalls,,,

Holly

:) Hi OP!

You can not use a social security card for ID purposes.. There is nothing on it pertaining to identity...

If your nephew has a military ID, I am assuming he is above age as to not needing a permission letter to travel and/or get passport??

:confused:

Not according to Carnival, you don't,,,I was married in 1983,,,my BC obviously shows my maiden name and my DL shows my married name,,,I have traveled numerous times to the Caribbean on just these two documents,,,and in fact, was told 5 times the marriage cert was not necessary,,,

Since its been years since I've travelled, though, I wanted to be sure nothing had changed, and so I called Carnival this morning,,,

I do not need a copy of my marriage certificate,,,the birthdates, first and middle names will be the same on BOTH the BC and the DL, and that is what they cross reference when checking me on or off the ship. The DL shows the name change to match my documents,,,and is, in fact, proof of the name change, since I had to show the marriage certificate to change my DL.

The hassle is a pain in the rear, though, and I think I'm just going to get a passport when I get back, tuck them away in a safe, and forget about them until we cruise again,,,

However, I'm married to Mr. Cheapskate, and he's trying to talk me into the passport cards, since they save a few bucks,,,his reasoning is that we will probably NEVER fly to another country since we love cruising so much,,,

my reasoning is you never know when you'll have to fly HOME,,,,and, you never know,,,if we got a great deal on an all inclusive to Mexico or something, we just might want to do that one of these days,,,,I doubt it, we love cruising so much but you never know,,,,who wants to be limited??? Besides,,,we may cruise Europe in the next 10 years :)

Holly

Maybe according the the reps you spoke with, but out of 5 Carnival cruises, I have been asked for my marriage license twice at embarkation.

Maybe according the the reps you spoke with, but out of 5 Carnival cruises, I have been asked for my marriage license twice at embarkation.

oh CRAP,,,,will they get it together??? Damm,,,,,I'm ordering a copy,,,thanks for the info,,,,I had it 4 times and was never needed,,,and THIS would be the ONE time,,,argh,,,ordering, now,,,,,Holly

Archived