Cruise Insurance ?

HighSeaslover

We are booked on Glory in January with our final payment due 11/10. We have cruised alot and never purchased the insurance, but now I am wondering if maybe we should. Sadly on our last cruise, my sister and I received a shore to ship call from family that our mother had passed away. So now I am afraid! To add to the situation our 18 yr old son, just got diagnosis with Epilepsy and I know if something is going on with him I will NOT be able to go. So long story for a simple question, would insurance cover my cost of the trip if my son is ill and I can not travel?

As you long YOU do not have the pre-existing condition of epilipsy, they should cover you for canceling the cruise if necessary. Now, if your son is cruising with you, that is a different story. Just fyi - dd20 has had epilepsy since age 2. We always buy cruise insurance within 1 day of booking our cruise, as we never know what may happen before. Luckily, we have never had to use the insurance. We usually book our cruises 1-2 years out. Her pre-existing condition is covered if we get the insurance within 7-14 days of booking. If ds ever cruises with you, make sure you take out the insurance as soon as you book! Good luck with ds.

I have learned the hard way never to use the cruise line insurance. I always use www.insuremytrip.com Well, over 18 months before my intended cruise this past summer on Disney, my friend booked and added their trip insurance. By adding it at booking, we felt secure that if my husband's condition got worse (he had a brain tumor and was able to manage for 3 1/2 years.) Well, a few weeks before the trip he started a very quick downhill slide. In fact he went into hospice the day the ship left.I had known for awhile I couldn't go- but to cancel then I would have lost all. Had to wait until a week or less out. I covered all bases and had the Drs fill out forms, etc. Guess what, Disney does not put policy into effect until final payoff date. By then my husband had started to have major health issues. My TA went round with them. By some miracle, we don't know why, but they gave us credit if we booked a new cruise through them. The original cruise was a 15 day reposition, so we are talking like $5400. The credit actually paid off most of the cost for 3 of us doing a 7 day. So moral of story, do not use cruise line insurance and make sure you buy independent and pay for it within a week of deposit. This doesn't bring my husband back and I will be forever sad, but this is life and things like this do happen.

Sorry to hear about you son-my son was diagnosed with something called teen onset epilepsy(had a more technical name but I can't remember it). He had his only 2 seizures when he was 17. He is now 30 and has never had another one since.

Not sure about the insurance cause the only reason I purchase it is for the medical/evac coverage.

I would call you local insurance agent and ask him. Mine does not sell travel policies but has always been able to answer my questions about travel insurance. The policy terminology can be so confusing.

Archived