What To Wear In Italy (From Venice down to Florence) In March

BrooksFam

I'm going to Venice, Rome, Florence, Pompeii, Assisi, and Siena Italy in March of 09 and am wondering what to wear. I thought winter coat, boots and gloves, but it seems it can be much warmer that that. I read on the internet, some lady wished she had brought her sandals. Does anyone have a packing list or some idea of what I can expect and plan for? Any information about weather at all would be amesome. Thanks so much! -Laura.

I suggest looking at the weather a few days before you go, but my best tip would be to think "layers".

I was in Italy a few years ago in April and wore skirts some days and jeans the others depending on where we were (southern Italy can get quite warm!). We did have a few days of chilly rain in Florence, so I brought a light jacket or blazer with me that I could remove as required.

When we were in Pompeii it was beautiful and warm. I remember walking quite far to the outer limits of the town and had a quiet moment completely by myself in the sunshine, thinking about the city and people that used to live there.

The day you will visit might be the opposite, which is why I would suggest light layers. I am returning to the Med this November and again, layers will be key with me!

Have a great cruise!

Hi, I travel to Italy often and was there this past March. I travel all over Itay. Venice will still be chilly and damp, you'll feel it especially on the vaporetto (motor boats that take you to various stops from the mainland). Jeans, a long-sleeved t-shirt or a light sweater top and a mid-weight jacket on top (such as a pea coat) will work well. I would bring a pair of lightweight gloves - or better yet purchase them in Venice!! (don't bring boots unless they are fashionable stacked-heel boots or woolen mittens, you'll look ridiculous). As you travel south the climate will get warmer. By the time you reach Assisi and Siena you'll be wearing the above only in the earlymonring and late afternoon as the sun is strong in Umbria and you may be able to get by in a long sleeved top and jeans. Same with Florence 9also remember you dpon'twant to wear too much since it'll get very uncomfortable in the warm museums). The climate in Pompeii will be springlike and you can wear your short-sleeved tops there, maybe even shorts!! Lots of walking in Pompeii - wear comfortable shoes. I would even pack sandals, it wouldn't hurt to pack them. I always bring a LL Bean Backpack on my sighseeing days to carry the clothing I start stripping from my body as it the day heats up. March brings great weather to Italy - you will spend lots of time outdoors and enjoying the view from the cafes. It is not cold and dreary AT ALL!!!!!! Remember that Italy is a fashion mecca and even as a toursit you will want to look put together. Have fun!

Archived