Cabins 8554 & 8558

bruce&karen

Hi! We just happen to be staying in 8554 on the 1-24-09 sailing. These are handicapped cabins. I have been going thru chemo and the doctor was concerned that even tho it will be done before the cruise, that I will still have side effects from it being in my body so . . . he thought what if you need a wheelchair while on board or need to sit down while showering? So we booked this cabin but recently I checked on it with NCL and they said that it is definitely a go for us to stay there. However, our friends had booked 8558 (for hearing impaired) and they called and had them switch them to the cabin on the other side of us to free up the handicap space. They might have been bumped out of it anyway but to who knows where? My friend Marla wants to be as close to me as possible to "take care of me". As if DH can't! I know, I am very blessed that everyone has taken care of me so well during this awful stuff! You would not believe the unexpected things that can happen to you while going thru this! Well, I am preparing for the worst but expecting the absolute best. I am hoping to have hair again of some sort (maybe a little more fuzz) so I don't have to protect my head and also be able to be out in the sun again (which is a no-no now). Hope this answers your question. Sorry for all the added info. I like to ramble. Bigred

Hi! We just happen to be staying in 8554 on the 1-24-09 sailing. These are handicapped cabins. I have been going thru chemo and the doctor was concerned that even tho it will be done before the cruise, that I will still have side effects from it being in my body so . . . he thought what if you need a wheelchair while on board or need to sit down while showering? So we booked this cabin but recently I checked on it with NCL and they said that it is definitely a go for us to stay there. However, our friends had booked 8558 (for hearing impaired) and they called and had them switch them to the cabin on the other side of us to free up the handicap space. They might have been bumped out of it anyway but to who knows where? My friend Marla wants to be as close to me as possible to "take care of me". As if DH can't! I know, I am very blessed that everyone has taken care of me so well during this awful stuff! You would not believe the unexpected things that can happen to you while going thru this! Well, I am preparing for the worst but expecting the absolute best. I am hoping to have hair again of some sort (maybe a little more fuzz) so I don't have to protect my head and also be able to be out in the sun again (which is a no-no now). Hope this answers your question. Sorry for all the added info. I like to ramble. Bigred

Bigred,

Thanks for the info. We are booked in 8554 for the 2/14/09 sailing and we are not handicapped. I hope they let us know if we need to move to make room for someone like yourself. We would be happy to switch in such a case. May not happen though as it was the last cabin available in that category. They must have saved it for as long as they could.

Bruce

Hi Bruce... The best we could figure out from what they told Marla was that they would only bump you if they needed the room for a specific handicapped person. Then they would move you to a comparable or better cabin which could (or could not) mean an upgrade. Otherwise, you should be fine! Have fun and enjoy! Bigred

Bruce&Karen,They will NOT move you from that handicapped cabin that others may need. There is no information in their booking listings that says you are NOT handicapped and do not need those facilities. Some times travel agents try to give their good clients "a free upgrade" by booking them into handicapped rooms for the extra room that they don't really need. The cabin is larger to accommodate a wheelchair for turning and for transferring. The bathroom floor is flat and the shower has no lip, so a wheelchair can access the shower. There is no counterspace in the bathroom, just a sink with room underneath for the legs of someone in a wheelchair. There are bars around the higher toilet and around the shower space. One needs lots of extra towels because the whole bathroom floods when the shower is used.

Most people in wheelchairs cannot use a standard cabin, so cannot cruise when able bodied people take up the very few handicapped cabins (maybe 25 total in all categories out of 1800 on a large ship) on any cruise ship.

mali06, your friends are good people. It sounds like you could all use some cruising! :) I hope your cruise, and theirs, is relaxing and wonderful. A Hawaiian cruise was our very favorite.........

Bigred,

Thanks for the info. We are booked in 8554 for the 2/14/09 sailing and we are not handicapped. I hope they let us know if we need to move to make room for someone like yourself. We would be happy to switch in such a case. May not happen though as it was the last cabin available in that category. They must have saved it for as long as they could.

Bruce

Bruce, being hanidcapped, I am very passionate about this subject. Being so passionate about this subject my post may appear rude. You may think my comments are harsh............but you try living life in a wheelchair......now that is harsh.

Being a person in a wheelchair I am appalled that you would knowingly book a cabin especailly designed for a person in a wheelchair. Do you realize that you may be keeping a handicapped person from being able to cruise. Sometimes cruiselines bump people but this is an exception rather than a rule. Most often we are told "not available". If I cant get a handicapped cabin I cant cruise. This is the same for other handicapped people. These cabins are larger for a reason. So a wheelchair user can manover around the cabin and use the restroom. Also these cabins are the only cabins that have a larger doorway so a wheelchair can get into the room. You try getting a 32" chair thru a 21" opening. There are so few of these specialized cabins please save them for people who need them. Please move to a different category or WL for a regular cabin in that category. Please remember people who are less fortunate as you. There are only around 20 HC cabins on ships. Please take the high road, don't be selfish and reconsider your decision.

Don't take my word for it. Take a look at the disabled board and read how hard it is for hanidcapped people to get handicapped cabins. Here are a few threads for you.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=864361

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=311686

Thank you

Bigred,

Bruce

Hi Bruce. The odds are good you are permanently taking an accessible out of circulation. None of the cruiselines have implemented a good way to mark cabins occupied by those who really have the need versus able-bodied so to an agent looking that cabin is just gone. An agent would have to pick through every accessible cabin booking looking for notes on who was in it and if none was made they have to assume it was needed. You would think in the 10+ years since the ADA was first implemented they would have made an effort for a better system but it's only been in recent years that litigation has determined that ships must follow the ADA if they have US ports of call.

While I know this cabin was the last in the category, your sailing is still over 3 months out. Some of those who need those cabins can't even book till a month or 2 out as they can't go without having a good idea of their medical status at the proper time. On behalf of those who need those accessible cabins can you please look into changing cabins? If that cabin is still available with under 30 days to go feel free to try to get it but I hate to see someone miss out on this cruise because the cabin they needed wasn't available when it should have been. Thanks!

Hi All,

My dad is wc bound, with oxygen, and all. We have missed out on a few NCL cruises due to not having any hc rooms! I did ask NCL and they advised me they will not move anyone around.

With that being said, I can only hope folks that don't need the hc cabins, don't take them.

Happy Sails!

As a disabled person myself, and having a mother who recently had a stroke and needs either a wheelchair or walker, I am totally disgusted by travel agents or passengers who knowingly book handicapped accessible cabins. Now, don't start on this stuff that cruise lines shouldn't have to lose money by keeping those cabins available---that's so totally wrong. We aren't saying those cabins can't be booked, all we ask is that anyone who books those cabins must show proof of needing an HC cabin or not release those cabins to the general public until after final payment date.

I know plenty of disabled persons who are unable to cruise because a good number of HC cabins are booked by those who do not need them. As far as I'm concerned, any travel agent who books their clients in HC cabins without need should somehow be reprimanded for doing this.

I can only hope that those who are doing this, TA's and passengers alike, have to one day experience what life is like to have to live their life in a wheelchair or scooter, and cannot take pleasure in a cruise because healthy individuals have booked all the accessible cabins.

OH, and BTW, once a cabin is booked, regardless of what you've been told by a TA, those cabins are no longer in the inventory, and even if a disabled person calls to book that cabin, they will all show up as taken, and are out of the inventory. RARELY is someone bumped out of an accessible cabin. I know this because on a recent cruise I saw an elderly couple, the wife in a wheelchair, struggling to get into their cabin, while the HC cabin next door was occupied by a young couple with kids, none of whom were using a walker/wheelchair/scooter/oxygen or anything else that would legally require an accessible cabin.

Can you tell I'm upset by this??? Good, because I am.

Bruce,

Being a person in a wheelchair I am appalled that you would knowingly book a cabin especailly designed for a person in a wheelchair. Please take the high road, don't be selfish and reconsider your decision.

Thank you

Hi Bruce. The odds are good you are permanently taking an accessible out of circulation.

While I know this cabin was the last in the category, your sailing is still over 3 months out. Some of those who need those cabins can't even book till a month or 2 out as they can't go without having a good idea of their medical status at the proper time. On behalf of those who need those accessible cabins can you please look into changing cabins? If that cabin is still available with under 30 days to go feel free to try to get it but I hate to see someone miss out on this cruise because the cabin they needed wasn't available when it should have been. Thanks!

As a disabled person myself, and having a mother who recently had a stroke and needs either a wheelchair or walker, I am totally disgusted by travel agents or passengers who knowingly book handicapped accessible cabins.

I know plenty of disabled persons who are unable to cruise because a good number of HC cabins are booked by those who do not need them. As far as I'm concerned, any travel agent who books their clients in HC cabins without need should somehow be reprimanded for doing this.

I can only hope that those who are doing this, TA's and passengers alike, have to one day experience what life is like to have to live their life in a wheelchair or scooter, and cannot take pleasure in a cruise because healthy individuals have booked all the accessible cabins.

OH, and BTW, once a cabin is booked, regardless of what you've been told by a TA, those cabins are no longer in the inventory, and even if a disabled person calls to book that cabin, they will all show up as taken, and are out of the inventory. RARELY is someone bumped out of an accessible cabin. I know this because on a recent cruise I saw an elderly couple, the wife in a wheelchair, struggling to get into their cabin, while the HC cabin next door was occupied by a young couple with kids, none of whom were using a walker/wheelchair/scooter/oxygen or anything else that would legally require an accessible cabin.

Can you tell I'm upset by this??? Good, because I am.

You guys have jumped to conclusions on this one. I booked this cabin myself directly with NCL and not thru any TA. All I asked for was the least expensive balcony cabin available. NCL assigned me this cabin, I had no idea this was a HC cabin. I'm the one asking the question here because the cabin looked strange on the deck plan (on Travelocity) and I thought there must be something wrong with it, like a pole in the middle or something. All the other HC cabins on the ship are clearly marked as HC cabins. Even the NCL deck plan shows question marks and not the HC symbol. I need to call NCL directly and find out what's up. Like I said earlier, I have no problem moving if someone needs this cabin. Maybe NCL can put a note on the Reservation to that effect. I really don't want to pay more to move out of this cabin only to have some other able bodied person grab it. That will accomplish nothing except me paying more money I can't afford. I have 8 kids myself and money doesn't grow on trees.

Bruce

Bruce, being hanidcapped, I am very passionate about this subject. Being so passionate about this subject my post may appear rude. You may think my comments are harsh............but you try living life in a wheelchair......now that is harsh.

Being a person in a wheelchair I am appalled that you would knowingly book a cabin especailly designed for a person in a wheelchair. Do you realize that you may be keeping a handicapped person from being able to cruise. Sometimes cruiselines bump people but this is an exception rather than a rule. Most often we are told "not available". If I cant get a handicapped cabin I cant cruise. This is the same for other handicapped people. These cabins are larger for a reason. So a wheelchair user can manover around the cabin and use the restroom. Also these cabins are the only cabins that have a larger doorway so a wheelchair can get into the room. You try getting a 32" chair thru a 21" opening. There are so few of these specialized cabins please save them for people who need them. Please move to a different category or WL for a regular cabin in that category. Please remember people who are less fortunate as you. There are only around 20 HC cabins on ships. Please take the high road, don't be selfish and reconsider your decision.

Don't take my word for it. Take a look at the disabled board and read how hard it is for hanidcapped people to get handicapped cabins. Here are a few threads for you.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=864361

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=311686

Thank you

You should re read his original post!! He did not book this cabin KNOWINGLY HC! He is asking for help here to figure out WHY it looks larger and has a (?) symbol on the deck plans. In defense of the OP - he was just asking for explanation not knowing what he was in for :eek:

You should re read his original post!! He did not book this cabin KNOWINGLY HC! He is asking for help here to figure out WHY it looks larger and has a (?) symbol on the deck plans. In defense of the OP - he was just asking for explanation not knowing what he was in for :eek:

Thank Sandyjabs!

I've been on CC long enough to know that it's not the best medium for communication and things can get read the wrong way. I've seen it happen more than once.:D You could easily make the mistake of thinking I asked the question and then booked the cabin. if that was the case I would have deserved the comments.

Bruce

AND, like I said, not NCL or any other cruise line will mark an HC cabin as taken by an able bodied person. It's just listed as taken, period. And, like with everything, it's all about money, isn't it. Sorry, but that's the truth here. The OP doesn't want to give up an HC cabin and have to pay more. Yes, we all understand that the OP didn't know it was an HC cabin, and the onus is on NCL, but it doesn't make it right. Lines like Disney, Regent, Seabourn have passengers who book HC cabins show proof of disability, and this is something that NCL obviously needs to do, but they're one line that always crosses the line and allows their HC cabins to be booked early by able bodied persons. I just hope those who knowingly book HC cabins for their larger size never have to spend their lives in a wheelchair because it sucks.

AND, like I said, not NCL or any other cruise line will mark an HC cabin as taken by an able bodied person. It's just listed as taken, period. And, like with everything, it's all about money, isn't it. Sorry, but that's the truth here. The OP doesn't want to give up an HC cabin and have to pay more. Yes, we all understand that the OP didn't know it was an HC cabin, and the onus is on NCL, but it doesn't make it right. Lines like Disney, Regent, Seabourn have passengers who book HC cabins show proof of disability, and this is something that NCL obviously needs to do, but they're one line that always crosses the line and allows their HC cabins to be booked early by able bodied persons. I just hope those who knowingly book HC cabins for their larger size never have to spend their lives in a wheelchair because it sucks.

Darcie,

You are absolutely right. This whole thing stinks. Especially because this is on the PRIDE OF AMERICA and is an American ship under American law. I'm not a lawyer, but this doesn't sound like it should be legal in this country. If it was a parking spot, the cops would issue a ticket!:mad: If the owner of a shopping center didn't provide the required number of HC spots and keep them clear they would be fined. What's the difference?

Bruce

You guys have jumped to conclusions on this one. I booked this cabin myself directly with NCL and not thru any TA. All I asked for was the least expensive balcony cabin available. NCL assigned me this cabin, I had no idea this was a HC cabin. I'm the one asking the question here because the cabin looked strange on the deck plan (on Travelocity) and I thought there must be something wrong with it, like a pole in the middle or something. All the other HC cabins on the ship are clearly marked as HC cabins. Even the NCL deck plan shows question marks and not the HC symbol. I need to call NCL directly and find out what's up. Like I said earlier, I have no problem moving if someone needs this cabin. Maybe NCL can put a note on the Reservation to that effect. I really don't want to pay more to move out of this cabin only to have some other able bodied person grab it. That will accomplish nothing except me paying more money I can't afford. I have 8 kids myself and money doesn't grow on trees.

Bruce

No NCL can not put a note on the reservation. Once the cabin is booked it is out of inventory. Why do you think another able bodied person would grab it? It could be booked by a handicapped person that needs it.

Perhaps at the beginning of this thread you did not know it was handicapped but then a poster told you. You didnt say anything about moving after knowing. So now you know.

Yes I read his original post and his subsequent posts. Did you? He was told by another poster in post #2 that the cabin was handicapped. He knew then but said nothing of moving. Therefore he knew then it was handicapped. I and other handicapped people are asking him to not take the cabin. He said he better 'grab it' before someone else AB does. What good thinking! :eek: Now isn't that thinking of your fellow man and those less fortunate than you? Jesh!

Bruce

How absurb:mad: 99% of able bodied persons would not book this cabin due to the fact they have a moral compass...obviously, you do not.:eek:

Respectfully, all those who are flaming Bruce have a constructive option to prevent this from happening again. He booked without knowing the special status of his cabin. NCL put him in that spot. The HC deserve that room and Bruce sounds willing to give it up. He just doesn't want a price upgrade to change rooms. Don't we all watch our major purchases? I feel for the disabled but maybe those that applies to should constructively turn their ire on NCL and not some decent sounding gentleman who was given this cabin assignment. Bruce didn't cause this problem, NCL policy (or lack thereof) did.

Respectfully, all those who are flaming Bruce have a constructive option to prevent this from happening again. He booked without knowing the special status of his cabin. NCL put him in that spot. The HC deserve that room and Bruce sounds willing to give it up. He just doesn't want a price upgrade to change rooms. Don't we all watch our major purchases? I feel for the disabled but maybe those that applies to should constructively turn their ire on NCL and not some decent sounding gentleman who was given this cabin assignment. Bruce didn't cause this problem, NCL policy (or lack thereof) did.

That's what I was trying to say as well. Then it turned into this.... but the original question still has not been answered really as to why the cabin he is assigned is with a (?) symbol? So maybe he really doesn't even have a HC cabin b/c I looked at the deck plans and deck 7,9 and 10 DO have HC cabin labeled with a square symbol-if his is HC then why isn't it marked???? Anyways I didn't read this thread to debate I was curious as to why some cabins are with a (?) b/c our cabin is also labeled with a (?) 8560 and if it is HC then I should move too ???????????????????????????????????????????? Please don't flame me b/c I did not know this was HC or whatever ---it does hv (?) this is the cabin that NCL assigned to me-maybe someone who is HC could tell me what cabin I should hv and I will see if it is available and if I can switch without any additional charges, there needs to be a better system than this so that the computer does not assign me a HC cabin if I do not need it because I have no idea that it is a HC cabin and book it unknowingly because I trust the cruiseline website and then I find out that I booked one and try to ask why the cabin is marked with a ? symbol and so on ....omg does this ever end?

Bruce

Bruce,

I just checked with NCL and regular cabins in your category are now available. So you can switch to a regular room for no additional cost. :D

However, your 'more money' theory is a poor one. The cost to upgrade is only $20pp. Hawaii is very expensive. If you can afford a trip to Hawaii you can afford $20pp.

In addition to prove NCL will not move you if someone needs your cabin I called NCL, identified myself as a handicapped individual and told agent I was interested in your cabin on your sailing date. I was told not available. Asked agent if she would check and see if clients were able bodied. Agent told me there is no way of knowing if pax are disabled or not and that the cabin is booked and out of available inventory. Agent went on to say even if she did know if able bodied or not she is not allowed to say as it is a matter of privacy.

The fact of not knowing the cabin was HC at the beginning of this thread is a moot point. All that matters is that you know now. I agree NCL is partly to blame because of their less than stellar minimum wage reservation agents. Just because NCL booked you in this cabin doesn't make it right. Any decent person would switch to a regular cabin. The ball is now in your court. Do the morally correct thing or be selfish?

By the way, if you did move the handicapped cabin would be put back in restricted inventory so a handicapped person can book it.

Be very thankful that you don't need a handicapped cabin. Being in a wheelchair is not fun. Remember what goes around comes around and one day you may be the one needing a handicapped cabin. Hope you don't run into someone like yourself then.

Bruce,

I just checked with NCL and regular cabins in your category are now available. So you can switch to a regular room for no additional cost. :D

However, your 'more money' theory is a poor one. The cost to upgrade is only $20pp. Hawaii is very expensive. If you can afford a trip to Hawaii you can afford $20pp.

In addition to prove NCL will not move you if someone needs your cabin I called NCL, identified myself as a handicapped individual and told agent I was interested in your cabin on your sailing date. I was told not available. Asked agent if she would check and see if clients were able bodied. Agent told me there is no way of knowing if pax are disabled or not and that the cabin is booked and out of available inventory. Agent went on to say even if she did know if able bodied or not she is not allowed to say as it is a matter of privacy.

The fact of not knowing the cabin was HC at the beginning of this thread is a moot point. All that matters is that you know now. I agree NCL is partly to blame because of their less than stellar minimum wage reservation agents. Just because NCL booked you in this cabin doesn't make it right. Any decent person would switch to a regular cabin. The ball is now in your court. Do the morally correct thing or be selfish?

By the way, if you did move the handicapped cabin would be put back in restricted inventory so a handicapped person can book it.

Be very thankful that you don't need a handicapped cabin. Being in a wheelchair is not fun. Remember what goes around comes around and one day you may be the one needing a handicapped cabin. Hope you don't run into someone like yourself then.

I believe that NCL is giving you bad information. I just booked another clearly marked HC cabin for my Mom and Dad with no problems and no questions asked. How is that possible if if they are in restricted inventory? I can move cabins or cancel the cruise and I may have to anyway, but the problem will remain. It seems that any indecent, immoral or selfish person, such as myself, can book these cabins without requiring any proof or even having NCL ask a simple question.

Bruce

I believe that NCL is giving you bad information. I just booked another clearly marked HC cabin for my Mom and Dad with no problems and no questions asked. It seems that any indecent, immoral or selfish person, such as myself, can book these cabins without requiring any proof or even having NCL ask a simple question.

Bruce

According to the ADA cruise lines by law are not allowed to ask the nature of your disability. HC people thought it was an invasion of privacy. I would gladly have them ask the nature of my disability if it meant Having HC cabins going to HC people.

I last traveled on NCL two years ago at that time HC cabins were in restricted inventory. I was unaware that it had changed. So does that mean it's okay to book it since NCL let you? Take some personal responsibility.

As I said before NCL is partly to blame for having such a lax policy. We depend on people being decent, moral and unselfish and NOT book these cabins when they don't need them.

Why in the world would you book "another clearly marked HC cabin"?

According to the ADA cruise lines by law are not allowed to ask the nature of your disability. HC people thought it was an invasion of privacy. I would gladly have them ask the nature of my disability if it meant Having HC cabins going to HC people.

I last traveled on NCL two years ago at that time HC cabins were in restricted inventory. I was unaware that it had changed. So does that mean it's okay to book it since NCL let you? Take some personal responsibility.

As I said before NCL is partly to blame for having such a lax policy. We depend on people being decent, moral and unselfish and NOT book these cabins when they don't need them.

Why in the world would you book "another clearly marked HC cabin"?

Umbarger,

LOLOLOL....Thanks for asking the question and not just jumping on my case. My Mom is disabled (bad arthritis and though not confined, can't walk very far) now my parents are in the HC cabin. Karen and I are now in an inside cabin just down hall and then around a little corner. It's better many ways. We saved a lot of money and we can still share the balcony with my parents. :D The money we saved went to OBC to pay for some excursions.

I'm still hating on the NCL policy.:mad: They should at least ask if someone in the cabin is disabled. They don't need details just a reminder that you are about to book a HC cabin. People would then think twice before booking and the agents would know they are about to assign a HC cabin to someone who may not need it.

Bruce

Umbarger,

LOLOLOL....Thanks for asking the question and not just jumping on my case. My Mom is disabled (bad arthritis and though not confined, can't walk very far) now my parents are in the HC cabin. Karen and I are now in an inside cabin just down hall and then around a little corner. It's better many ways. We saved a lot of money and we can still share the balcony with my parents. :D The money we saved went to OBC to pay for some excursions.

I'm still hating on the NCL policy.:mad: They should at least ask if someone in the cabin is disabled. They don't need details just a reminder that you are about to book a HC cabin. People would then think twice before booking and the agents would know they are about to assign a HC cabin to someone who may not need it.

Bruce

Bruce,

You're not alone in hating the NCL policy, or lack of one, regarding HC cabins. NCL is not alone. None of the cruise lines have good policies in place unfortunately. In this day and age some cruise lines still don't even have a special needs department. A valuable lesson was learned.

So glad everything worked out and you are saving money. I think being able to visit a balcony is just as good as having a balcony. I think your mom having a balcony is great as she is less mobile.

May I suggest you take a wheelchair or scooter for your mom if she cant walk far. The ship is very long and requires a lot of walking. Just getting from the cabin to the restaurant can be a chore. Hawaii also is a very active area and requires alot of walking. Just getting off the ship onto the pier was a long walk. I just returned last week from taking my disabled mom there. Hawaii (Honolulu especially) is wonderfully handicapped accessible by the way. Lots of curb cut outs in side walks. The beaches still aren't accessible unfortunately. Darn sand.

You can borrow a wheelchair from NCL but I don't recommend it as they are heavy, old, and in disrepair and sometimes aren't even allowed off the ship. You may want to rent a good travel wheelchair or scooter from carevacations.com.

Happy cruising,

Linda

Archived